The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, big al said:

Unfortunately there are many fans who are too far gone to get behind him. 
Having no crowds is helping the situation.

There were fans too far gone on the day hecsigned for us because of his “Rangers connection”. He got the name from some fans of Derek McH*ness from day one.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

It’s not for me to tell fans of other clubs what their expectations should be but however big the present budget is it’s still far less than the two clubs who will continue to hold the two top spots.

By all means be ambitious, ambition is a good thing, but I reckon that ambition must be tempered by reality.

There are more than one way to skin a cat, I personally think we should be investing more in other areas of the clubs, in places where it's easier to compete and better Celtic and Rangers.  Maybe having more than 3 scouts would be a place start, especially when two of those scouts are the manager and his assistant.  Get that fixed then start to look at the coaching staff, do we have the best we can afford, is everyone in those positions doing the best they can and does the club have a clear plan on what they want to do?  There are so many things that need fixing here and at other clubs in the league, it's narrowminded to just harp on about budgets as if they are the sole factor on where a club finishes.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s not for me to tell fans of other clubs what their expectations should be but however big the present budget is it’s still far less than the two clubs who will continue to hold the two top spots.

By all means be ambitious, ambition is a good thing, but I reckon that ambition must be tempered by reality.

One major example of the difference between real life and football is that if you want to leave your job, you resign, work your notice and move on to your next job.

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

There were fans too far gone on the day hecsigned for us because of his “Rangers connection”. He got the name from some fans of Derek McH*ness from day one.

Get your head out of your arse, Joey 

You reduce any legitimate criticism of the Manager to pish like that. This isn’t Twitter and nobody on here engages in that shite. 

It’s Aberdeen you’re supposed to be a fan of, not Derek McInnes FC

I personally couldn't give a f**k about a manager/player's former team, 99% of them are professional enough to not let it affect them.

I do give a f**k when my team's form drops off a cliff and has an alarming level of regression over a three year period. 

Accepting complete and utter mediocrity on the basis of "things could be worse" is sadly massively reflective of Aberdeen as a city, not just the football club. With this mentality, the club will never improve.

We should be reaping the benefits of the training ground infrastructure that has been established but instead have been on a downward spiral since the gates opened. 

Quite how low are the "McInnes In" crowd willing to let us sink in order to keep Derek in a job? 

42 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Get your head out of your arse, Joey 

You reduce any legitimate criticism of the Manager to pish like that. This isn’t Twitter and nobody on here engages in that shite. 

It’s Aberdeen you’re supposed to be a fan of, not Derek McInnes FC

I’m not supposed to be a fan of Aberdeen, I am a fan of Aberdeen. Fans, mostly, stay for life, most other folk to do with the club are paid and move on to be replaced.  I will always support whoever is at the club at any given time until they leave. I happen to think that Derek McInnes is the best manager that we could have just now, but if that changes then I will support whoever comes in his place, but I don’t personally think that should happen. If performances similar to the one that we witnessed for a fair bit of the match on Saturday continue, then I might change my mind, who knows. 

Hopefully even the most disaffected folk will have enough perspective to see that not sacking him with 11 games to go is a reasonable decision, even if there is to be a parting of ways at the end of the season.

At the very least we can now dismiss the notion that he's not under any pressure or not held to any sort of standards by the board. That is clearly not the case.

11 games left, third isn't gone just yet. So let's go for it. COYR.

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What do Aberdeen fans expect from a manager?  Looks like they still have a very good chance of finishing third, is a higher place finish a real expectation?

They seem to want to regularly challenge, and finish above, teams with 30x their budget, while simultaneously be light years ahead of times who's budget is 3x lower than theirs, all in under a decade. As if building a club up to challenge those odds can be done overnight by going to the "staff search" screen on FM and hiring all the bestest coaches in the world.

And win one of the two cups every season.

McInnes is a victim of his own success.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They seem to want to regularly challenge, and finish above, teams with 30x their budget, while simultaneously be light years ahead of times who's budget is 3x lower than theirs, all in under a decade. As if building a club up to challenge those odds can be done overnight by going to the "staff search" screen on FM and hiring all the bestest coaches in the world.

You sound like a braindead sportsound pundit with that take, if that's the road you want to go down fair enough. I thought you actually took an interest in Scottish football though.

Edited by Dons_1988

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

You sound like a braindead sportsound pundit with that take, if that's the road you want to go down fair enough. I thought you actually took an interest in Scottish football though.

I do, but look at the amount of money Rangers had to chuck at it to catch Celtic, while you've got fans on here demanding Aberdeen should be at that level too.

It'll take well over a decade for you to get there, and there'll be lows you'll have to get past first. I doubt it can be achieved with Pittodrie sucking money out the club every year either.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I do, but look at the amount of money Rangers had to chuck at it to catch Celtic, while you've got fans on here demanding Aberdeen should be at that level too.

It'll take well over a decade for you to get there, and there'll be lows you'll have to get past first. I doubt it can be achieved with Pittodrie sucking money out the club every year either.

You're narrowing in on the most angry voices on Twitter with what you're saying Aberdeen fans 'demand'.  There are plenty of sane voices who want Mcinnes out who know that's not a realistic possibility.

We are talking 3 seasons now of steadily declining recruitment, performances and results. You could probably argue that the only reason we haven't fallen further in terms of league placings is the lack of quality below us.

I hold Derek in high regard and there's probably some on P&B who reckon I'm a happy clapper towards him, but there are legitimate and serious questions he needs to answer to justify continuing beyond this season. I have no issue with a constructive challenge to improve standards or at least arrest the decline.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You're narrowing in on the most angry voices on Twitter with what you're saying Aberdeen fans 'demand'.  There are plenty of sane voices who want Mcinnes out who know that's not a realistic possibility.

We are talking 3 seasons now of steadily declining recruitment, performances and results. You could probably argue that the only reason we haven't fallen further in terms of league placings is the lack of quality below us.

I hold Derek in high regard and there's probably some on P&B who reckon I'm a happy clapper towards him, but there are legitimate and serious questions he needs to answer to justify continuing beyond this season. I have no issue with a constructive challenge to improve standards or at least arrest the decline.

Most fans of Scottish football seem to think you should only make a change once things are far too gone.

There's nothing wrong with noticing a trend, realising the manager is past the point of reversing it and looking for fresh impetus before it is too late.

Me? I'm just still waiting for Joey to explain to me how football works.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's nobody demanding we are at that level.

We can't all laud Livi for their shrewd recruitment which has them punching well above their weight while simultaneously claiming no other club can put pressure on the OF.

We've been hoping to get third that past two years while cutting about with Curtis Main up front. He wasn't good enough for Motherwell when they finished 8th. We signed him and made him a focal point of the team.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What do Aberdeen fans expect from a manager?  Looks like they still have a very good chance of finishing third, is a higher place finish a real expectation?

My take from frosty Mid Ulster is I think we'd like the football to be more entertaining, and not try to close the game down after 5 minutes having scored an early goal.

And a Scottish Cup win would be nice.

But those a lot closer to home will be able to answer a lot better.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jesus christ.

Let's just accept the status quo or give up completely. 

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Yeah, there’s a few on our bus who can’t seem to get past that connvection.