The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

The club needs to decide where it’s going before we talk names.

If we’re about to go through a period of scaling things back as we navigate COVID then we could do a lot worse than a Wright or Robinson who have track records of assembling decent squads, squeezing a lot out of them and are tactically astute before and during games.

Or, they might want an appointment that reinvigorates the fan base and get people back on side (I.e buying season tickets). 

That’s a hell of a lot more difficult and carries greater risk. Loads of young managers with reputations as a player and have a football philosophy end up being shite and not knowing how to regularly win football matches. 

Duncan Ferguson

Older members of the Tartan Army loved playing the "told you so" about binning Gordon Strachan until November 12th 2020. Suddenly they went very quiet.

It will be interesting to see what names come forward if the job becomes available. There's no obvious front runner at all.

Our group chat had a rattle round of names last night that included Tommy Wright, Shaun Maloney, Jim Goodwin, Stephen Robinson, Micky Flynn, Darren Moore, Paul Cook, Danny Cowley then it got a bit more wild as the boundaries got pushed to more left field names like Steve Kean and Nigel Adkins.

That's a few names without even going into the continental market. Might float some people's boats. Others like[mention=48577]kingjoey[/mention] would baulk at the names and prefer to stick with DM.

All opinions are fair enough provided they are well thought out and balanced.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The club needs to decide where it’s going before we talk names.

If we’re about to go through a period of scaling things back as we navigate COVID then we could do a lot worse than a Wright or Robinson who have track records of assembling decent squads, squeezing a lot out of them and are tactically astute before and during games.

Or, they might want an appointment that reinvigorates the fan base and get people back on side (I.e buying season tickets). 

That’s a hell of a lot more difficult and carries greater risk. Loads of young managers with reputations as a player and have a football philosophy end up being shite and not knowing how to regularly win football matches. 

The big risk that comes with employing top players as managers is that they can't understand why players can't do the things they did. You then have the added caveat of them potentially being so successful as player due to following another persons tactical instructions.

You were spot on a few posts back. It's not an appointment that's going to take us to the next level that's required. It's one that can get us back to that spot of being best of the rest consistently so that we can then push on.

I'm in the same place as @Frank Grimes. I'm gutted it's finishing this way for Derek. I was someone who did not want him as manager and then he completely changed my opinion of him. It's been a long slow decline though and he isn't able to turn things around.

I can't understand how anyone can say "it's going to be jumping between top six and bottom six" when then there is a very real possibility of things going that way in the coming years under the current manager.

4 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Got to agree, Frank. I've been saying he should leave since the League Cup QF defeat to Motherwell, 3-0 on the night, that was further compounded by a Scottish Cup SF defeat to the same side later on that season, with the same score.  

At the time I thought there were too many players being shoehorned in, cohesive and enjoyable patterns of play were few and far between, and above all, I didn't think he'd be the man to secure us another trophy. I still think these things are true, and their obviousness has only intensified in the 3+ years since I decided he wasn't the man anymore. 

4 years is what people say a managers shelf life is at most clubs. He's almost doubled that. 

What I can't abide by is people rewriting history, he's been a fantastic manager for AFC in many aspects, he changed a club languishing in total and utter mediocrity, at made the city proud of its team again. These are things we should be thankful to McInnes for.  As well as the only cup win in my lifetime, a huge moment for me personally, and the fans at large. 

The problem is now, the jobs gotten harder. Rangers are (sickeningly) back, Hibs have got their shit together, and Dundee United are back in the top flight, and I expect Hearts to follow. 

There needs to be a new man, new impetus, new ideas, and all the other cliches. Derek is dangerously close to unravelling all his good work off the park, and the goodwill from the supporters.

I think this is a fair post. I don't agree with how early you wanted him gone but I can see the thought process behind it.

There's a reason for a manager to be in the job at one club in Scotland for 8 years and it's not because he's been relatively successful.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You know for certain that is the actual amount that he is paid? Is that his basic wage? Are there bonuses to be paid on top of that? How much of that is taxed? 

Why don’t you ask the board member who told one of your supporters that figure?

11 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I was slaughtered at the time for saying as much, but I just couldn't see it getting better. I think I've been proven right, unfortunately. I always wanted to be shown to be wrong on that. 

I presume with your second paragraph, you're referring to his wage, which is an astounding one, and something I choose to believe. 

Tom English confirmed as much with his article this week.

So that begs a different question: 

Is Derek McInnes doing a job befitting of a manager earning something like 17K a week? 

Not so much just the wage but there's no-one battering down the door to get him in. Martin Bain at Sunderland and a desperate Rangers has been about it.

The wage isn't too hard to believe when the compensation required for McInnes and Docherty is £1.2m.

I’m finding these calls for the likes of Robinson or Goodwin to take over absolutely incredible. What on earth makes people think that these guys are going to match Dereks achievements over the past 8 years? [emoji38]

Aberdeen clearly have the money to go a step better than that. It’s going to have to be a bit of a blockbuster appointment to justify punting McInnes.

Tommy Wrights name has been punted about - can’t say I disagree with that. He’s won the Scottish Cup - the prize Dons fans craze so dearly. He’s no stranger to European competition and has some impressive wins under his belt. Can he be lured from Norn Ireland though?

9 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m finding these calls for the likes of Robinson or Goodwin to take over absolutely incredible. What on earth makes people think that these guys are going to match Dereks achievements over the past 8 years? emoji38.png

Aberdeen clearly have the money to go a step better than that. It’s going to have to be a bit of a blockbuster appointment to justify punting McInnes.

Tommy Wrights name has been punted about - can’t say I disagree with that. He’s won the Scottish Cup - the prize Dons fans craze so dearly. He’s no stranger to European competition and has some impressive wins under his belt. Can he be lured from Norn Ireland though?

Why?

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

He is about to sign on as Killie manager, if the bbc is to believed.

p.s. You are not seriously suggesting Aberdeen would punt McInnes to replace him with Wright??

38 minutes ago, Aufc said:

What are the expectations of the Aberdeen fans for their club?

Don't expect us to win the league.Just a team that that knows what it's about(system of play) and a pleasure to watch.Qualify for europe and compete for cups be great.

Aware that we had that under Mcinnes and i was a big supporter of him and grateful.

However he has lost his way , football is awful now and he seems at a loss what to do. Unless action is taken we will be back where he started a bottom 6 side. 

Right now i would say we are the worst team in this league.