The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

16 minutes ago, ken es said:

The board will know they have to act or risk massive loss of revenue next season.

First 3 seasons were great and was so proud of teams performance in 2017 cup final.

I'm in Dek should go while he still has some good will with support.

I presume you mean 4 seasons as that was that season was the most points we have ever had.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Up until Tuesday I would have agreed with you.

But the parts I've bothered watching today confirm what we pretty much all know...this is a team bereft of any confidence, a team that has no invention or drive, a team that couldn't score in a barrel of fannies, a team that is simply going through the motions. 

It won't get better under McInnes, I think that point has passed. He may very well go this week, but if he doesn't he will this summer. He has to. 

It does sound like he probably will go, tbf.

I just think it's all a wee bit harsh - having to lose McKenna, Cosgrove and Wright, then his statement in the transfer window that Aberdeen wouldn't be signing anyone - that might suggest that funds are on the low side.

Also, him being judged in this season of all seasons when every other factor is a distant second to Covid is quite harsh - this season is bonkers.

8 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

It does sound like he probably will go, tbf.

I just think it's all a wee bit harsh - having to lose McKenna, Cosgrove and Wright, then his statement in the transfer window that Aberdeen wouldn't be signing anyone - that might suggest that funds are on the low side.

Also, him being judged in this season of all seasons when every other factor is a distant second to Covid is quite harsh - this season is bonkers.

You could also judge him on the previous two seasons when teams with a far inferior budget finished ahead of us.

Let's not also ignore the fact he has had a tremendous backing from the board regarding budgets.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

You could also judge him on the previous two seasons when teams with a far inferior budget finished ahead of us.

Let's not also ignore the fact he has had a tremendous backing from the board regarding budgets.

Motherwell were a point clear when the season was called and a Steve Clarke led Kilmarnock finished ahead of Aberdeen on GD. Hardly damning indictments on McInnes.

He's had great budgets, sure, but they'll not be massively more than say Hearts/Hibs who he's consistently performed above.

It's very much stale, but this could also be very much a be careful what you wish for scenario.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Motherwell were a point clear when the season was called and a Steve Clarke led Kilmarnock finished ahead of Aberdeen on GD. Hardly damning indictments on McInnes.

He's had great budgets, sure, but they'll not be massively more than say Hearts/Hibs who he's consistently performed above.

It's very much stale, but this could also be very much a be careful what you wish for scenario.

Why is it a "be careful what you wish for" scenario then?

Guess you'll be having a rebuild this Summer regardless of what happens with McInnes.

Guess the question is whether you'd rather McInnes rebuilt the squad, or an unknown quantity did. Scott Booth rumours have floated around Twitter for a few months now.

Why is it a "be careful what you wish for" scenario then?

Because McInnes has you muddling along. It's not always great but it's never been absolutely horrendous.

I'd say on average, Scottish clubs are more likely to appoint managers that do terrible than one's that do great.

Up until Craig Brown was appointed, how many disastrous Aberdeen appointments came before that?

1 hour ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

McInnes is a great manager. He is the best manager since Alex Smith. 

Aberdeen fans should be patient. 

Aberdeen have been second four times under McInnes. They have won a trophy, and reached loads of finals. 

McInnes has developed and improved some super players for the team. 

McInnes has made millions of pounds in terms of transfers 

We have had a respectable performances in European football. 

We should stick with McInnes as long as possible. 

Look at Hearts, Hibs, and Dundee United being relegated in the last 10 years, from the Premier. 

So we need to be patient and stick with McInnes for as long as possible. 

Look at some of the relegation battles Aberdeen have had in the last 30 years, 

Look at the managers who took Aberdeen to bottom 6 performances, 

Aberdeen should be patient with McInnes. 

You've done really well with what's been available Derek tbf.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Guess you'll be having a rebuild this Summer regardless of what happens with McInnes.

Guess the question is whether you'd rather McInnes rebuilt the squad, or an unknown quantity did. Scott Booth rumours have floated around Twitter for a few months now.

His signings, more often than not, have been shite. 

Now is the ideal time to get in a new manager, let them assess the squad and hit the ground running next season. 

I can say with 1000% certainty that Scott Booth won't be the next Aberdeen manager. He's hardly set the heather alight in the women's game and has had his share of personal issues also.  Paul Sheerin is a much more realistic  candidate (especially short term). 

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Because McInnes has you muddling along. It's not always great but it's never been absolutely horrendous.

I'd say on average, Scottish clubs are more likely to appoint managers that do terrible than one's that do great.

Up until Craig Brown was appointed, how many disastrous Aberdeen appointments came before that?

So you're saying "Be careful what you wish for because you are muddling along"

What?

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

How many previous Aberdeen managers were on £17.5k/wk ?

Lots of people say "who can you get that would do a better job than McInnes?" - For the salary he is on, there will absolutely be interest. 

2 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

His signings, more often than not, have been shite. 

Have they, though?

His almost decade in charge has probably been your most successful run in almost 30 years.

So you're saying "Be careful what you wish for because you are muddling along"

What?

I think it's fairly clear what I'm stating. Your fans could easily regret hounding McInnes out if your next manager makes a c**t of you Mark McGhee style. And I'd say that's more likely to happen than someone to do better than McInnes.

1 minute ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

How many previous Aberdeen managers were on £17.5k/wk ?

Lots of people say "who can you get that would do a better job than McInnes?" - For the salary he is on, there will absolutely be interest. 

Fair enough - I could easily be completely wrong and you appoint someone that has you finishing 3rd most seasons and able to get the odd shock against Celtic or Rangers in the cups. That's not a million miles from what you've already got though and it could easily go the other way.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have they, though?

His almost decade in charge has probably been your most successful run in almost 30 years.

Don't think the two make a correlation, he also inherited a pretty good team from Craig Brown - here's the team from his last game:

1590870272_Screenshot2021-02-06at20_12.28-1.thumb.png.efa1f344767a2dc9e687f7ba09eb82be.png

McInnes' signings, by and large, have been average to woeful. He's had a massive budget, a massive pay packet, and he's fucked it, frankly.

And he's too arrogant and classless of a chancer to recognise it and stand down.

Just now, HibsFan said:

Don't think the two make a correlation, he also inherited a pretty good team from Craig Brown - here's the team from his last game:

1590870272_Screenshot2021-02-06at20_12.28-1.thumb.png.efa1f344767a2dc9e687f7ba09eb82be.png

McInnes' signings, by and large, have been average to woeful. He's had a massive budget, a massive pay packet, and he's fucked it, frankly.

And he's too arrogant and classless of a chancer to recognise it and stand down.

Bingo. 

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

Honestly didn't realise Hayes/McGinn were inherited tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think it's fairly clear what I'm stating. Your fans could easily regret hounding McInnes out if your next manager makes a c**t of you Mark McGhee style. And I'd say that's more likely to happen than someone to do better than McInnes.

Fair enough - I could easily be completely wrong and you appoint someone that has you finishing 3rd most seasons and able to get the odd shock against Celtic or Rangers in the cups. That's not a million miles from what you've already got though and it could easily go the other way.

We're at the stage where we don't really have anything to lose. McInnes has been given pretty much everything he's asked for during his tenure and we are regressing rapidly.