The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Aye, aye. I know.  And any team can go behind in a game. 

But Lewis fucks up and then he spends the next 20 minutes either staring at the ground or panicking wildly. It spreads to the defence and within 10  minutes we've lost another goal and frankly could be 3 or 4 down. 

Just when we need a captain to lift the side and get players back and focussed, we've got a guy who looks like he'll literally drop any ball that comes towards him. 

I can't imagine Woods could do any worse, and we would have the advantage of passing the captaincy to Considine or Ferguson. Time for Lewis to take a rest. 

It was nothing to do with panicking. It was a horrendous wind. The same wind that had their keeper drop a cross and misjudge a punch. Unfortunately for us he didn't drop the ball in to their net.

It doesn't matter who the captain is. Roy Keane said his job as Captain was to police the dressing room, make sure the other players train hard and sort comp tickets out for the players. The leadership he showed on the pitch came naturally. You don't need an armband for that.

13 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Work rate and desire from Livingston is something that our players need to learn from. I would give Ferguson and Hornby pass marks but the rest were absolutely honking.

Keep playing like that and we will finish 5th. Creativity non existent.

The only player that did anything in the first half was Lewis Ferguson, and he looked like the only one who cared. I thought that Ferguson again in the second was by far and away our best player and the one who looked like scoring, in fact he did. Players that stepped up after the break were Dean Campbell, who had a really good half, Callum Hendry and Matty Kennedy, although some of his crosses left a bit to be desired.

14 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I don't understand how replacing Lewis with an objectively worse goalkeeper and giving the captaincy to an outfield player, who presumably isn't capable of showing leadership without a band on his arm for some reason, is going to improve our performances.

And in that statement you have identified 1 of the main issues. For all the signings, 3rd biggest budget or whatever it is etc., there are basically no leaders in the team. 
I totally agree though with those who say Lewis shouldn’t be captain, it needs to change. 

We had the likes of Shinnie, McLean, Hayes, Reynolds and others giving us additional leadership when Jack was captain - they didn't need the armband to do it, although Shinnie eventually got it and Reynolds had it previously. If Ferguson, McCrorie and others genuinely are leaders, they also shouldn't need an armband to show it. It's a red herring. 

Love the fact that whenever a team loses its because they "lack leaders", as if grown men who've been playing football for ~10 years are completely lost on a football pitch without some grizzled 36yo CB shouting at them for 90 minutes.

48 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Everyone getting excited with 3 strikers when the issue is the midfield and the lack of chances they are creating. 3 strikers are going to struggle to score goals for us.

TBF if youd been paying any attention to their careers thus far, you'd realise your 3 strikers are going to struggle to score goals anyway.

I think the new Aberdeen players need time to adapt to a new team. Aberdeen are in a strong position with a good manager. They just need to be patient. Aberdeen are basically building a new team now. Even Jim Mclean only won 3 trophies in around 20 years at his great Dundee United side. 

Just be patient. 

McInnes is a great manager. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Love the fact that whenever a team loses its because they "lack leaders", as if grown men who've been playing football for ~10 years are completely lost on a football pitch without some grizzled 36yo CB shouting at them for 90 minutes.

That's not what I said, maybe others did. 

I pointed out that....not for the first time....when Lewis made a mistake, he panicked. For whatever reason, whether it's lack of leadership, mental weakness, or just general bawbagedness, at the very same moment our defence fell to pieces. 

I'm sure someone like yourself who watches Aberdeen religiously will recognise that there's a pattern developing. 

To intimate that a captain of a football club is of no importance is plainly utter rubbish. Just because a player is experienced doesn't mean that he's a leader, and the history of the game is littered with succesful clubs who had natural leaders as captains.

How can Lewis be the captain of the club when his head is the first to go down when something goes wrong ? What an example to set.

I'm not suggesting that's the only reason we're losing games, of course it isn't. But we lost the game last night because firstly Lewis threw the ball into his own net, and secondly because the team went into collective headless chicken mode for the next 30 minutes because of that. We recovered after halftime but the damage was done. 

For whatever reason, we lack leadership on the pitch. I've no idea why I'm explaining this to an opposition fan who's obsessed with Aberdeen, but I am.

Morning everyone :)

Now time for a rant.

Lewis has been a bit of a calamity this season. I honestly believe had he not scored that OG it would have been a different outcome. The players heads just dropped and it set the tone for the rest of the game. Having said that, Livi were by far the better side at that stage so probably would have scored anyway. 

Aberdeen are so frustrating to watch. We seem to just pass the ball around the back - to a centre mid - back to defence and redo that over and over again. This aimless lumping forward from the defence infuriates me too. Hayes' crossing has been abysmal this season. We currently have no players in the top 12 assisters in the league and only one player with over 3 goals in our side (Ferguson with 8). Thats appalling. Especially given our budget etc. 

McInnes and his men owe the fans some bloody decent performances and results. 3 wins in 15 is shocking. Relegation stuff.

The captain issue is a bit of a red herring in my eyes. As someone said above, the role is basically symbolic  with a bit of administration attached to it. A team needs leaders in every area of the pitch. If your captain is a centre half, does that really any more of an effect on a striker? 

FWIW I thought Ferguson was actually very good last night, and played a "captains role", really trying to drive the team forward. Unfortunately, the rest of the team seemed to take no notice. Thats more worrying to me than Lewis making one howler. hes certainly not having his best season, but there are bigger problems with the team. 

I dont think its any coincidence that we lost hedges and didnt look like creating last night. hes one of the few players in our squad who has a brilliant attitude and keeps going no matter what, certainly not something youd have thought about him last season. McCrorie  needs to step up in his role alongside Ferguson. Considine needs to be more vocal, especially when hoban looks like hes having a wobble next to him. hayes needs to do the same in the forward areas. 

I hope McInnes is erally taking a long hard look at that team, and their limitations going into a really key period of the season. 

35 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Morning everyone :)

Now time for a rant.

Lewis has been a bit of a calamity this season. I honestly believe had he not scored that OG it would have been a different outcome. The players heads just dropped and it set the tone for the rest of the game. Having said that, Livi were by far the better side at that stage so probably would have scored anyway. 

Aberdeen are so frustrating to watch. We seem to just pass the ball around the back - to a centre mid - back to defence and redo that over and over again. This aimless lumping forward from the defence infuriates me too. Hayes' crossing has been abysmal this season. We currently have no players in the top 12 assisters in the league and only one player with over 3 goals in our side (Ferguson with 8). Thats appalling. Especially given our budget etc. 

McInnes and his men owe the fans some bloody decent performances and results. 3 wins in 15 is shocking. Relegation stuff.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

cheer up you miserable c*** :)