The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Surely we’d be allowed to write Laugherty’s name in our black book. Along with Willie Johnston and Derek Johnstone.

Both of whom would improve your attack even at their ripe old ages.

£2m for Cosgrove, eh?  For that money I'd be looking for an entire sanctuary - not just one donkey.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Ach, he's allowed a bit of fun. I'm more concerned about the final three sentences.

I dunno...the first two of those three are pretty standard. January is a rough time to be looking for a striker. All the more reason we need to be confident of bringing in an alternative before we hit the ok button on Cosgrove's transfer.

As a club we've come a long way since McInnes joined, but we still have some significant weaknesses that separate us from the Old Firm and Rangers.

1. We recognise that we are a selling club (who isn't?) so we should have thouroughly identified, and scouted at least 2 or 3 replacements for every memeber of the squad. At all times. Forever.

2. The goal should always be to improve in the long term, even if we lose out slightly in the short term.

3. If we are planning to build the development of the club around our youth system, we need to be a lot better (and more confident) in/at retaining those young players.

We need a Delboy running the transfers & handling the contracts.

If we're truly going to commit to the youth system, and the sound-bites about wanting the 'best youth system in Scotland' are true; we need action on that front. Get the stadium built at the Double Tree site, and use the excess land at Kingsford to build an academy. Get the kids in at 10. Feed them good food. Educate their minds as well as their bodies. Teach them from the first day why Aberdeen is a superior choice to the Old Firm and Rangers.

Forget trying to train good footballers, and start training good humans.

Include the girls as well.

2 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Forgive me for being thick but why do we need a big striker?
A quick memory search if recent (well recent for me and@jacksgranda) at our highest scorers and not one was a “big unit”

Harper
Jarvie
Black
Hewitt
Robb
Bett
McGhee
McGinn
Gilhaus

Etc.

Stop buying big guys Derek

Frank McDougall to that list, what a player

How are both the Edinburgh sides in a financial place to sign players especially Hearts who are in the Championship. Jack Ross' comments make no logical sense. Every club barring Hibs, Hearts, St Mirren and The Rangers are all coming out and being transparent about how this is crippling their club and they are forced to sell players etc. Aberdeen are just being smart and open about whats going on. Just read Hearts are preparing a fee of 350k for Campbell and that they will make him their highest paid player. Do they know there is a world pandemic?

27 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

How are both the Edinburgh sides in a financial place to sign players especially Hearts who are in the Championship. Jack Ross' comments make no logical sense. Every club barring Hibs, Hearts, St Mirren and The Rangers are all coming out and being transparent about how this is crippling their club and they are forced to sell players etc. Aberdeen are just being smart and open about whats going on. Just read Hearts are preparing a fee of 350k for Campbell and that they will make him their highest paid player. Do they know there is a world pandemic?

Simmer petal.

How do you know we aren't ready to pay the same for Campbell?

Hearts and Hibs have entirely different wage structures, and less expensive squads than us. We're shedding weight...wait until it happens before having a fit.

2 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Simmer petal.

How do you know we aren't ready to pay the same for Campbell?

Hearts and Hibs have entirely different wage structures, and less expensive squads than us. We're shedding weight...wait until it happens before having a fit.

Indeed. A lot of panic over a few paper rumours. Let’s see where we are next week. 

7 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Forgive me for being thick but why do we need a big striker?
A quick memory search if recent (well recent for me and@jacksgranda) at our highest scorers and not one was a “big unit”

Harper
Jarvie
Black
Hewitt
Robb
Bett
McGhee
McGinn
Gilhaus

Etc.

Stop buying big guys Derek

He was interested in Brophy, well allegedly.

10 minutes ago, big al said:

He was interested in Brophy, well allegedly.

we probably need to sign four new strikers in 2021. so we'll be interested in every striker going.

I can see all of Cosgrove, Main and Anderson leaving in the next four months

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Both of whom would improve your attack even at their ripe old ages.

£2m for Cosgrove, eh?  For that money I'd be looking for an entire sanctuary - not just one donkey.

I take it that you think that we’ve got a good deal then?

27 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Haven’t Hibs binned off their Youth Academy?

I remember Caley did the same. It worked in the short term, but has proven a failure since. Its hard to keep making the right signings and they can leave on Bosman's once established, just like the youth players. At least you get development money for the youth players.

59 minutes ago, betting competition said:

So Mcinnes bought Cosgrove for £25k and is looks like he is going to be sold for 2 Million. Will Mcinnes get credit for making the club a lot of money? 😄

It's probably Russ Richardson and McInnes best story. Stockley decent as well because we made a quid on him too.

The other big success stories like Rooney, McLean etc is probably down to just the management team and less so the scouting.

Edited by d31