The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I think we will look back on his era as a collection of what-ifs : we just never seemed to have the fortitude and guile to capitalise on some great opportunities.

Like others, I have openly backed McInnes through some hoorin’ rough patches over the last 2.5 years. But today was the day that I, kinda reluctantly, finally resigned myself to accepting that his time is probably up.

The ongoing turgid football, discontent from the fans, unbalance squad, all combined with what now feels like an inevitable decline/turnover in players given the confirmation of no signings this window, does all leave me with a sense that change is now unavoidable - I think it’s a case of when and not if.
This is pretty much exactly where I am. Although I think the #mcinnesoot brigade are mistaken as to thinking they are in some sort of huge majority. If fans were allowed at games do we really think we'd be at the back of the main stand in our thousands, calling for the managers head.

5 minutes ago, starryfish said:

The magnitude of finishing third in terms of probable European group stage football next season shouldn’t be underestimated. In terms of investing in the team, if at all possible, it has to be done now in order to finish at least 3rd. The ramifications from not finishing 3rd could harm the medium to long term ambitions of the club.

We definitely need an effective attacking player ASAP. Hibs seem to have gambled on investing in getting the third place position. Even Hearts and St Mirren have been more active. Unless there is some good last minute business done we look to be falling out of the third place race. In the circumstances this seems a very poor financial decision. I’m sure I’m not the only one questioning AberDna and season ticket renewal  going forward.

I think there will be many questioning renewal, aberDNA and the like and they are perfectly within their rights to do that. The football is eyebleeding at times but part of me thinks that's just the nature of a Scottish football.

The last season and a half is reminding me very much of the end for Calderwood, the football was turgid but the results were still kind of there yet there was a feeling that it was the end for that team/squad/manager. That squad had heaps out of contract and needed major surgery and I don't think anyone really thought Calderwood was the man to do it.

Consi, Logan, Taylor, Mcginn, Hayes are all now the wrong side of 30, the squad needs major surgery in the summer, do we trust McInnes to be the man to do it.

In regards to the "who can replace McInnes" question, let's not kid ourselves that this isn't the most attractive the job has looked in decades.

Some brilliant Scotland U21 internationals. An experienced core and arguably the best training facilities in the country.

The Cowley's seem to be a lot of fans choice. Wouldn't be against that.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

In regards to the "who can replace McInnes" question, let's not kid ourselves that this isn't the most attractive the job has looked in decades.

Some brilliant Scotland U21 internationals. An experienced core and arguably the best training facilities in the country.

I would like to see your argument on this.  Half a dozen pitches doesn't equate to the beat training facilities in the country.  

On 15/01/2021 at 16:46, Illgresi said:

I think if pushed I'd probably take Glenn Middleton. I don't think he'd solve all our problems right now, but I think he has good potential. Whether our coaching team can actually get that potential out of him or not is another matter.

@G51 has strong views on Middleton so he may disagree with me but I think if you took him and played him through the middle he'd give you pace, movement, decent positional sense and an eye for goal.  He'd be a serious upgrade on Cosgrove and Main playing statues or just kicking other players.

The other Rangers stalwart who;d improve you would be Bobby Madden - but we'll keep him...

1 hour ago, big al said:

I got slaughtered by a few regulars on here a few months ago for saying Cosgrove is a haddy.

Blinded by his penalties and tap ins you were.

No doubt Cosgrove has been stinking recently but he must be the only player that when he doesn't score it means he's rubbish but when he does score it also actually means that he's secretly rubbish too.

It doesn't help that people are getting a bit carried away with how good Watkins was as well. It's not like we had no bad performances/results when he was playing too. I would have liked him to still be at the club obviously though.

22 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

No doubt Cosgrove has been stinking recently but he must be the only player that when he doesn't score it means he's rubbish but when he does score it also actually means that he's secretly rubbish too.

It doesn't help that people are getting a bit carried away with how good Watkins was as well. It's not like we had no bad performances/results when he was playing too. I would have liked him to still be at the club obviously though.

Watkins was good for a better style of link up play and movement, something we have to adopt to have any chance of progress. Currently light years behind sevco in this respect.

Watkins wasn’t enough of a goal scorer unfortunately, and neither is Wright or Hedges. They were the front 3 of choice this season but far from the finished article. 
Cosgrove has very few good attributes on a football pitch, and not enough to be an Aberdeen player. You can add Main to that category as well. Played together, this is exaggerated. Limited abilities is being kind, considering they are attackers.

11 minutes ago, big al said:

Watkins was good for a better style of link up play and movement, something we have to adopt to have any chance of progress. Currently light years behind sevco in this respect.

Watkins wasn’t enough of a goal scorer unfortunately, and neither is Wright or Hedges. They were the front 3 of choice this season but far from the finished article. 
Cosgrove has very few good attributes on a football pitch, and not enough to be an Aberdeen player. You can add Main to that category as well. Played together, this is exaggerated. Limited abilities is being kind, considering they are attackers.

We definitely miss Watkins but he isn't clinical enough.

For me the ideal signing is a younger version who we can improve.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I think there will be many questioning renewal, aberDNA and the like and they are perfectly within their rights to do that. The football is eyebleeding at times but part of me thinks that's just the nature of a Scottish football.

The last season and a half is reminding me very much of the end for Calderwood, the football was turgid but the results were still kind of there yet there was a feeling that it was the end for that team/squad/manager. That squad had heaps out of contract and needed major surgery and I don't think anyone really thought Calderwood was the man to do it.

Consi, Logan, Taylor, Mcginn, Hayes are all now the wrong side of 30, the squad needs major surgery in the summer, do we trust McInnes to be the man to do it.

No 

2 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Even with the walls caving in you at Pittodrie can't resist getting a wee dig in at Hibs. :lol:

This must be what it's like to have no rivals, a life in purgatory spent trying to manufacture derbies out of thin air.

The one saving grace about our continued pishery is that Hibs are mince too. 

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

@G51 has strong views on Middleton so he may disagree with me but I think if you took him and played him through the middle he'd give you pace, movement, decent positional sense and an eye for goal.  He'd be a serious upgrade on Cosgrove and Main playing statues or just kicking other players.

The other Rangers stalwart who;d improve you would be Bobby Madden - but we'll keep him...

My problem with Middleton is he's what the Yanks call a 'tweener. Capable of kinda playing a few positions (left wing, left back, up front) but has a fatal flaw in each of those positions that stops him actually being good in any of them  (can't cross, too small, pulls wide the whole time).

I'd be surprised if Aberdeen made a move for him tbh. Lower half Premiership team feels more like his level. But you never know!

Middleton is shite and will likely only every have an 18 month purple patch as the main man in a bottom half Premiership/top end Championship side, which wins him a move beyond his level for a bit until hes found out, to show for his career.

If you're going for any Rangers player, since it seems like you're bizarrely obsessed about doing, it would have to be Jones out of him, Middleton and Stewart.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you're going for any Rangers player, since it seems like you're bizarrely obsessed about doing, it would have to be Jones out of him, Middleton and Stewart.

what’s bizarre about it? It’s one of the options being mentioned by both clubs as part of a deal for Wright. It would be more bizarre if we didn’t talk about it at all.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Danny Cowley would certainly be someone I'd hope we would be thinking about in the hypothetical scenario of McInnes leaving tomorrow, but he might be hanging on for another job in the Championship.

You're right that the job should be much more attractive now than it was when McInnes took it - and much of that is down to the good work McInnes and his team did in his early years. 

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Danny Cowley would certainly be someone I'd hope we would be thinking about in the hypothetical scenario of McInnes leaving tomorrow, but he might be hanging on for another job in the Championship.

You're right that the job should be much more attractive now than it was when McInnes took it - and much of that is down to the good work McInnes and his team did in his early years. 

Absolutely. It shouldn't be forgotten either.

In regards to your first paragraph that's the point I've been making. It's fine being asked who I'd take and myself giving an answer...but who's to know if there's any chance of it at all? It just seems fairly reasonable.