The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I don't think we should sack him. We're playing sh*te and have been for a while but we've also been missing key players in every game we've played in the last month and a bit. I won't be surprised if he goes when his contract is up but we are far from being in a crisis that warrants an overreaction like this. We'll probably finish third this season and (miracle season aside) that's as good as any manager could achieve with Aberdeen.
We have been missing key players but McInnes is lucky to be afforded the luxury of an enormous squad without relying on youth.

He has

Taylor, Hoban, Devlin, Considine (McCrorie, Leigh) for a back 3

Logan, Kennedy, Hayes, Hernandez, Mclennan, Leigh for wing backs with all of those apart from Kennedy and Mclennan capable of playing in a 4

Ojo, Campbell, Mcgeough, McCrorie, Ferguson for the middle of the park.

Hayes, Kennedy, Mcginn, Mclennan, Wright, Hedges for attacking midfielders/wingers

I'll admit we are light of options upfront

It's a big squad most of whom the manager signed. He should be able to get a winning team out of that.

I don't think we should sack him. We're playing sh*te and have been for a while but we've also been missing key players in every game we've played in the last month and a bit. I won't be surprised if he goes when his contract is up but we are far from being in a crisis that warrants an overreaction like this. We'll probably finish third this season and (miracle season aside) that's as good as any manager could achieve with Aberdeen.

We’ve been playing shite for 2 and a half seasons.

No fight or drive to go for second place. 3rd or 4th at the club is acceptable.

All those years at the club and he has the square root of f**k all up front, no creativity in midfield and a formation that halts the attributes of players like Hayes.

A back 3 with those players since McKenna left doesn’t work.

A captain that barely speaks during the 90mins.

Millions spent on a training complex which hasn’t attracted the “big name” they said it would, nor improved the players.

Left him (or new manager) with 10 out of contract players at end of season.

Overreaction you say ?

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The choice not to strengthen a struggling squad seems to be working out well. 

To be fair, given the state of our recruitment in recent times, I wouldn't be overly confident that giving McInnes the option to go out and strengthen the squad now would necessarily yield the desired results. 

We’ve been playing shite for 2 and a half seasons.

No fight or drive to go for second place. 3rd or 4th at the club is acceptable.

All those years at the club and he has the square root of f**k all up front, no creativity in midfield and a formation that halts the attributes of players like Hayes.

A back 3 with those players since McKenna left doesn’t work.

A captain that barely speaks during the 90mins.

Millions spent on a training complex which hasn’t attracted the “big name” they said it would, nor improved the players.

Left him (or new manager) with 10 out of contract players at end of season.

Overreaction you say ?
Yeh definitely an overreaction.
We're 4th with games in hand and have beaten our nearest rivals Hibs twice this season. At the start of the season we were arguably playing the best football we've seen under McInnes.
And as I said it's utter sh*te right now and allowing both Main and Cosgrove to remain on the pitch together for 75mins is utterly soul destroying.
But at the same time sacking him would mean paying the equivalent of Managers wages ×2 for a year and a half when we're on track to get 70+ points again this season. Nowhere near worth it

8 minutes ago, TheDon99 said:

We're 4th with games in hand and have beaten our nearest rivals Hibs twice this season. At the start of the season we were arguably playing the best football we've seen under McInnes.
And as I said it's utter sh*te right now and allowing both Main and Cosgrove to remain on the pitch together for 75mins is utterly soul destroying.
But at the same time sacking him would mean paying the equivalent of Managers wages ×2 for a year and a half when we're on track to get 70+ points again this season. Nowhere near worth it

We were playing the best football under McInnes and one of the main reasons for that us no longer at the club. Next week we'll have lost the other.

This season I’m not happy with 3rd, let alone 4th.

This squad has underachieved.

Celtic’s implosion gave us a chance of something, but like 2016, we don’t have the correct mentality at the Club.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Celtic’s implosion gave us a chance of something, but like 2016, we don’t have the correct mentality at the Club.

Our horrifically poor striking options are completely snookering us. 

Cosgrove is less than half the player he was before getting injured and not sold, and Main is exactly the same player. The pair of them will be lucky to score 6 goals between them from now until May.

Watkins was the glue that held the side together, and without him we're pretty damn awful. 

We won't sack McInnes just now because we're guaranteed at least 4th, but the summer time may lead to a change, especially if we fail in the cup. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Cosgrove is less than half the player he was before getting injured and not sold, and Main is exactly the same player. The pair of them will be lucky to score 6 goals between them from now until May.

Watkins was the glue that held the side together, and without him we're pretty damn awful. 

We won't sack McInnes just now because we're guaranteed at least 4th, but the summer time may lead to a change, especially if we fail in the cup. 

We've to play Livi back to back. Wouldn't be so sure.

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yep. The strikers are killing us. Said it a few times. They don’t get us up the pitch, they don’t offer movement and they don’t score. We’ve got a serious problem if we’re just running as is until end of season. 

Have not read every post so sorry if this has been addressed

Yes, dreadful result and that requires questions being asked.

However, we don’t even know if this season will be finished, let alone next season started on time (or ever) so how the f**k you can advertise a job and appoint someone on the basin of “ weel there micht be a job or no” and “weel we micht be able to ge ye a few pennies to spend or no” is beyond me.

I’m no a McInnes fanboy, I’m no a “sackhimnooooo” guy either, but I suspect there are bigger issues in life at the moment

I think we will look back on his era as a collection of what-ifs : we just never seemed to have the fortitude and guile to capitalise on some great opportunities.

Like others, I have openly backed McInnes through some hoorin’ rough patches over the last 2.5 years. But today was the day that I, kinda reluctantly, finally resigned myself to accepting that his time is probably up.

The ongoing turgid football, discontent from the fans, unbalance squad, all combined with what now feels like an inevitable decline/turnover in players given the confirmation of no signings this window, does all leave me with a sense that change is now unavoidable - I think it’s a case of when and not if.

2 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

On our current form, we're probably looking at a fifth place finish.  We'll need to improve  to finish above a mediocre Hibs team, and the juggernaut that is Livi.  Can anyone see this improvement coming?

Even with the walls caving in you at Pittodrie can't resist getting a wee dig in at Hibs. :lol:

This must be what it's like to have no rivals, a life in purgatory spent trying to manufacture derbies out of thin air.

8 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Have not read every post so sorry if this has been addressed

Yes, dreadful result and that requires questions being asked.

However, we don’t even know if this season will be finished, let alone next season started on time (or ever) so how the f**k you can advertise a job and appoint someone on the basin of “ weel there micht be a job or no” and “weel we micht be able to ge ye a few pennies to spend or no” is beyond me.

I’m no a McInnes fanboy, I’m no a “sackhimnooooo” guy either, but I suspect there are bigger issues in life at the moment

Oh dear.

The magnitude of finishing third in terms of probable European group stage football next season shouldn’t be underestimated. In terms of investing in the team, if at all possible, it has to be done now in order to finish at least 3rd. The ramifications from not finishing 3rd could harm the medium to long term ambitions of the club.