The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Can Aberdeen afford to sack a manager that will cost over 1 million pounds to do.

With what Mcinnes has done with the team I do think he deserved better than getting sacked. I'm concerned if he does leave who cormark picks

What has he done?

He's left us in a better state than when he arrived and won a trophy years ago.

We've not finished above fourth in over two years. We're all happy to use the budget argument when losing to the Old Firm but it's ignored when we're finishing behind Motherwell and Kilmarnock.

Aside from a short spell earlier in the season, the football has been dire for years. We're all in agreement that we miss Marley Watkins yet he was only signed because we had four strikers injured.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We can’t do better is a tiresome argument. 

but it’s not my job to replace him is literally the worst answer to that question. 

There's no real answer to the question though. I've no idea what other managers would want salary wise for a start.

1 minute ago, betting competition said:

No-one is irreplaceable but is there anyone out there that can do a better job?

Of course there is. 

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

What has he done?

He's left us in a better state than when he arrived and won a trophy years ago.

We've not finished above fourth in over two years. We're all happy to use the budget argument when losing to the Old Firm but it's ignored when we're finishing behind Motherwell and Kilmarnock.

Aside from a short spell earlier in the season, the football has been dire for years. We're all in agreement that we miss Marley Watkins yet he was only signed because we had four strikers injured.

Before he come in we was 9th or 8th in the League with Craig Brown teams best not mention Mark McGhee.  We have qualified for Europe every season under him (7) which hasn't been achieved since the 80s. He has helped getting our turnover doubled since he has come in.

Take away Fergie trophies in our history we have won 9 trophies which he has won 1.

I do think if it wasn't for Celtic appointing Brendan Rodgers celtic we would have won more trophies especially in 2016 which was a great team. We have had to replace a whole midfield since then.

Football has been dreadful to watch last 3 years and maybe time freshen it up when he decided to leave/contract runs out

Edited by betting competition

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There's no real answer to the question though. I've no idea what other managers would want salary wise for a start.

Of course there is. 

If there’s no answer then you can see why boards don’t immediately cave to this kind of pressure. 

This is probably the first time where I've seriously thought that his time is up. Bit of an end of an era feel as the fourth goal rolled in. 
It feels a bit 5-0 at St Johnstone (before my birth) or a lesser version of 9-0 at Celtic in terms of era ending. I was advocating changing coaching staff but I am struggling to see how McInnes turns this round when our budget will have to be cut in summer in response to the lack of fans in the ground and no hospitality money. Suspect I may be on the opposite side of the argument to some posters I like on here but I think time may finally be up.

10 minutes ago, betting competition said:

No-one is irreplaceable but is there anyone out there that can do a better job?

Well I hear people mention sacking him now and, in my opinion, that would be mistake. I don't think it does the club any good. 

However, I'm not convinced his heart is in the job like it was 3 or 4 years ago. I would prefer if he left by his own decision in the summer and we take our time from now  in finding the right replacement. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Before he come in we was 9th or 8th in the League with Craig Brown teams best not mention Mark McGhee.  We have qualified for Europe every season under him (7) which hasn't been achieved since the 80s.

Take away Fergie trophies in our history we have won 9 trophies which he has won 1.

I do think if it was for Celtic appointing Brendan we would have won more trophies especially in 2016 which was a great team. We have had to replace a whole midfield since then.

Football has been dreadful to watch last 3 years and maybe time freshen it up when he decided to leave/contract runs out

McGhee (as crap as he was) had the budget wildly slashed on the back of Calderwood's spending with little success. Brown then came in to shore things up. Neither had a budget anywhere near the like that McInnes has had.

I couldn't really care less what the club won before he arrived. That's all in the past.  During his time St Johnstone, Hibs (Championship), Ross County and Caley managed to win trophies. Several others have also made it to finals and beat us to get there when we were favourites.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

If there’s no answer then you can see why boards don’t immediately cave to this kind of pressure. 

I'd happily give you an answer to who I'd like to see take the job if any shortlist was made public. Until then it's mental masturbation. 

We'd all like to see Curtis Main replaced. No-one demands to know who should replace him.

Not really sure how I should feel after that. Been a fairly staunch defender of McInnes but there does seem to be something not quite right at the club and it's been growing over the past two years.

People have concerns about the recruitment but even going back as far as Wilson, Forrester and Gleeson, fans were generally happy with those signings at the time. Hoban, Leigh, McCrorie, Hayes, Kennedy were mainly welcomed as well. f**k, we were even quite excited by Hernandez.

There seems to be a real staleness about the club at the moment and I'm becoming increasingly sure that McInnes isn't the man to rid us of that. On current form, there's no way we will finish 3rd and if we do, it'll likely be because of failure of others rather than our own success. Not finishing in the top 3 for three successive seasons is major regression and failure to reach the Scottish cup semis this season will mean one semi in the last 2 seasons. Hardly sacking material for managers in the past and I'm not calling for change for the sake of it but there's something nae right.

Utter shambles. 

Remember McGhee they say.

Well I'm sorry but time has come for a change.

Brutal to watch with players who don't look at all comfortable or confident in what they are doing.

No Aberdeen team with the amount of backing McInnes has had should ever be pumped 4-1 by the league's bottom placed team

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McGhee (as crap as he was) had the budget wildly slashed on the back of Calderwood's spending with little success. Brown then came in to shore things up. Neither had a budget anywhere near the like that McInnes has had.

I couldn't really care less what the club won before he arrived. That's all in the past.  During his time St Johnstone, Hibs (Championship), Ross County and Caley managed to win trophies. Several others have also made it to finals and beat us to get there when we were favourites.

I'd happily give you an answer to who I'd like to see take the job if any shortlist was made public. Until then it's mental masturbation. 

We'd all like to see Curtis Main replaced. No-one demands to know who should replace him.

The point is sacking without a succession plan is for when you’re in a complete tailspin like getting done 9-0 at parkhead. Not for when you’re sitting in 3rd with a manager of 7/8 years who’s generally been successful. There’s absolutely a debate to be had about whether his time is coming to an end but the idea of just sacking him now is silly. 

30 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:
59 minutes ago, DrewDon said:
This is probably the first time where I've seriously thought that his time is up. Bit of an end of an era feel as the fourth goal rolled in. 

It feels a bit 5-0 at St Johnstone (before my birth) or a lesser version of 9-0 at Celtic in terms of era ending. I was advocating changing coaching staff but I am struggling to see how McInnes turns this round when our budget will have to be cut in summer in response to the lack of fans in the ground and no hospitality money. Suspect I may be on the opposite side of the argument to some posters I like on here but I think time may finally be up.

I was at the 5-0 in Perth 1990 - we obviously recovered from that to take it to the last game of the season...................and Scott leaving in the summer, and Smith's own team slipping to 6th (unheard of for decades) did for him. 

As for McGhee, his very first game vs Sigma convinced me we'd made a massive mistake.

This possibly didn't quite have that complete end feel to it - as the middle chunk of the match we were the better side - but it definitely puts things into Defcon 4, and with McCrorie, Taylor and Hayes all injured now. 

Edited by tarapoa

I don't think we should sack him. We're playing sh*te and have been for a while but we've also been missing key players in every game we've played in the last month and a bit. I won't be surprised if he goes when his contract is up but we are far from being in a crisis that warrants an overreaction like this. We'll probably finish third this season and (miracle season aside) that's as good as any manager could achieve with Aberdeen.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The point is sacking without a succession plan is for when you’re in a complete tailspin like getting done 9-0 at parkhead. Not for when you’re sitting in 3rd with a manager of 7/8 years who’s generally been successful. There’s absolutely a debate to be had about whether his time is coming to an end but the idea of just sacking him now is silly. 

I'd be disappointed if the club didn't have a succession plan in place at all times. Some random team could come in for the manager out of nowhere.

There's no problem with a football team being proactive rather than reactive. 

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

I was at the 5-0 in Perth 1990 - we obviously recovered from that to take it to the last game of the season...................and Scott leaving in the summer, and Smith's own team slipping to 6th (unheard of for decades) did for him. 

As for McGhee, his very first game vs Sigma convinced me we'd made a massive mistake.

This possibly didn't quite have that complete end feel to it - as the middle chunk of the match we were the better side - but it definitely puts things into Defcon 4, and with McCrorie, Taylor and Hayes all injured now. 

Was Calderwood leaving the right decision? Definitely.

Was McGhee the right replacement? No.

2 minutes ago, TheDon99 said:

I don't think we should sack him. We're playing sh*te and have been for a while but we've also been missing key players in every game we've played in the last month and a bit. I won't be surprised if he goes when his contract is up but we are far from being in a crisis that warrants an overreaction like this. We'll probably finish third this season and (miracle season aside) that's as good as any manager could achieve with Aberdeen.

Wow.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd be disappointed if the club didn't have a succession plan in place at all times. Some random team could come in for the manager out of nowhere.

There's no problem with a football team being proactive rather than reactive. 

Was Calderwood leaving the right decision? Definitely.

Was McGhee the right replacement? No.

If we sack him, Do you think a prospective manager would see an ambitious club striving for great things or a trigger happy chairman sacking a long term servant whilst sat at realistically the ceiling of league position he can achieve? I’m not wedded to the man but the club need to keep the heid.