The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

If Scott Wright does leave on this transfer window to Rangers then I wouldn't want to get another Rangers player on loan. I don't like it that we can't play Ross McCrorie against Rangers and another player would be disappointing.  

Have they changed the rule where you could only have a max of one player on loan from a team in the same division?

I'm surprised the Canadian hasn't been along to inform the thread with his ITK stuff regarding this swap deal with the devil we're supposedly engaged in. 

I remember a few months he was font of all knowledge on here... 

"we don't care if its true or not, it's good to read" said one poster... 

My feeling is that Wright will go this window but there will be no player swap. If we get the McCrorie deal finalised then it's a good piece business. 

Wright can join other local lads David "Mason and Chelsea" Robertson and Union Jack as persona non grata in the City of Aberdeen. 

The names of Davie Robertson offspring is an example of what happens when you become one of them. You're not just signing for a club but a right-wing political institution. And that is magnified for the Scottish lads*. Make no mistake, Wright will be mason by the end of the year if he isn't one already. He'll visit dubious 'fan clubs' in both Scotland and Northern Ireland and opportunities will open for him. 

If he isn't a rat presently, then it will only be matter of months before he is fully initiated in that world. 

Let's hope we can give him a warm Pittodrie homecoming next season... 

*I actually think Richard Foster was an exception to this and he was castigated by their support, primarily for being shite but also because he didn't embrace the 'ethos' of the club. I don't feel sympathy for him though the rat... 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 hour ago, Don exotic said:

I don’t understand Scott Wright’s thinking here?

Same as Jake Hasties when Rangers inexplicably went for him.

Hes being offered a move to club higher up the ladder than his ability deserves, with wages on offer well beyond what he'll ever get again, so its a total non-brainer.

Hes going there for the money, while Rangers are presumably only doing this to "put Aberdeen in their place", as Wright is absolutely miles away from enhancing their squad.

If you can get money off the McCrorie deal, and bring in players this window off the back of it (not any Rangers loanees) then it'll be worth it IMO. 

Chuck a 6 figure fee at Livingston to try and get Forrest and you'll be better off than if you'd kept Wright.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes being offered a move to club higher up the ladder than his ability deserves, with wages on offer well beyond what he'll ever get again, so its a total non-brainer.

Hes going there for the money, while Rangers are presumably only doing this to "put Aberdeen in their place", as Wright is absolutely miles away from enhancing their squad.

If you can get money off the McCrorie deal, and bring in players this window off the back of it (not any Rangers loanees) then it'll be worth it IMO. 

Chuck a 6 figure fee at Livingston to try and get Forrest and you'll be better off than if you'd kept Wright.

Can't argue with any of that, and I agree that Forrest is a good player. I haven't seen him live with Livingston but I remember him from Ayr United... 

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Have they changed the rule where you could only have a max of one player on loan from a team in the same division?

It’s now two, but that’s meaningless here. If Scott Wright goes to Rangers in this window I’m pretty sure we’d not be loaning another Rangers players, but signing him permanently.

58 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure about the Forrest stuff but the rest is correct.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

No chance we'd take 6 figures for Forrest - but I'd agree they'd be better off

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Just noticed that yon Sporting CP that were 'shite and there for the taking' have dropped only their 6th points of the season and are still unbeaten in the Portuguese League.

If I remember correctly, the general feeling was not that Sporting were shite but they weren't match fit due to their lack of competitive matches at the time , which was substantiated by Seb Coates or whoever the big mouthed Uruguayan defender was blowin out his ass after one hour. 

Now, Derek had, quite rightly, used the lack of competitive action against teams whose season had began as an inhibitor to progress in the competition. But we lost an early goal and couldn't breach their lethargic rearguard action.

And as a footnote, they then lost 1-4 at home to LASK in the next round who themselves were knocked out in the group stage by Spurs and Antwerp. 

There was an opportunity for us to at least reach the play-off round which would have been progress and an achievement of sorts. 

Or put another way, it's probably the best chance we'll get to knock out Sporting in Lisbon, if you consider they were a not fully match fit team (relatively speaking in comparison with ourselves) playing in an empty home stadium, and we were playing quite inventive football at the time both domestically and in Europe (with very impressive win in Norway). 

But the sale and loss of McKenna just before the Sporting match was a big blow to us. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

If I remember correctly, the general feeling was not that Sporting were shite but they weren't match fit due to their lack of competitive matches at the time , which was substantiated by Seb Coates or whoever the big mouthed Uruguayan defender was blowin out his ass after one hour. 

Now, Derek had, quite rightly, used the lack of competitive action against teams whose season had began as an inhibitor to progress in the competition. But we lost an early goal and couldn't breach their lethargic rearguard action.

And as a footnote, they then lost 1-4 at home to LASK in the next round who themselves were knocked out in the group stage by Spurs and Antwerp. 

There was an opportunity for us to at least reach the play-off round which would have been progress and an achievement of sorts. 

Or put another way, it's probably the best chance we'll get to knock out Sporting in Lisbon, if you consider they were a not fully match fit team (relatively speaking in comparison with ourselves) playing in an empty home stadium, and we were playing quite inventive football at the time both domestically and in Europe (with very impressive win in Norway). 

But the sale and loss of McKenna just before the Sporting match was a big blow to us. 

Were Sporting not hit by Covid, and fielded a half fit team full of youngsters and a couple of 40 year olds ?

They were technically very good (as you'd expect), but sadly we didn't put any real pressure on them until the last 10 minutes. If we'd scored first it might all have been different.

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Were Sporting not hit by Covid, and fielded a half fit team full of youngsters and a couple of 40 year olds ?

They were technically very good (as you'd expect), but sadly we didn't put any real pressure on them until the last 10 minutes. If we'd scored first it might all have been different.

Aye, there was a Covid outbreak but I didn't want to go down that road as there was a suspicion that it affected mostly reserves and they might have been attempting to line up an excuse beforehand because they had concerns about their match fitness. I don't think their preferred first XI that night was affected much by Covid. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Wonder why they have left it so long to offer McLennan a contract extension.
Normally they would be looking to have such business done a year and a half before the deal expires.

The Rat and now Wright have shown the perils of leaving it too long with the better prospects that have come through the system.

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Wonder why they have left it so long to offer McLennan a contract extension.
Normally they would be looking to have such business done a year and a half before the deal expires.

The Rat and now Wright have shown the perils of leaving it too long with the better prospects that have come through the system.

In fairness, Wright was in no way deserving of a new contract offer until October or so which was around the first time he’s been here where he’s been able to put together more than two or three good performances without getting crocked. 

And iirc, we’d been offered the rat plenty of contract extensions which he’d repeatedly turned down. Whether we should have sold him before we got to the point it did is a different matter.

22 hours ago, Don exotic said:

I don’t understand Scott Wright’s thinking here? Yes, it’s a short career, but it’s hopefully a long life thereafter.

If he crosses this Rubicon there is no way back and he and his family will need to cope with him being reviled locally forever more. Is he planning to settle in Kashmir like David Robertson? Is it really worth it? He probably looks forward to working with Gerrard, but he will be off at the end of the season. Rangers will be skint like the era after Advocat. They are just splurging to avoid 10 in a row.

Not much to understand tbh, stay at Aberdeen get 1500 a month, go to Rangers get 10k a month over next 3 years or so. 

At worst he fails and he sees his 3 year contract out making approx 360k compared to 56k odds, plays for Gerrard and he may also win a league winners medal.....

If it goes well? move the English Premiership with a few Scotland caps etc

Personally? i think he'll fail, but i said that about Ryan Jack.

Edited by red23