The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

42 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Depends who's driving the bus, really. 

Can think of a few folk who would love to drive that bus 🤣

Not me, I think he’s been a pretty good manager and I’m not convinced a new manager will do better. A lot of fans want change for the sake of change.

If he can get a bit more pace and flair in the attack again (losing the cart horses currently employed there) then all will be well.

Losing Scott Wright is a blow, don’t be fooled by all the fans saying ‘who cares, he’s a wimp who has only had a few good games’.  Wright has pace, good movement, comfy on the ball and plays where defenders aren’t comfortable. A good fit for the ****, all their attackers are like that, and the reason why they outplay us. If I was Wright I still wouldn’t go there though as I can’t see him getting much game time and he needs a few seasons playing a lot after his injuries. 
Also, realistically for Aberdeen to achieve success, a few homegrown players are required who do really well. Not going to ‘outsign’ the arse cheeks over a whole squad with the cash they both have (or debt). Really require 4 or 5 to step up and Wright would be 1 of those. 

I could come on and post long and well argued posts like a number of you have above but it boils down to this for me

Would I rather have Derek McInnes or Stephen Glass in charge?

The answer is simple - Derek McInnes. So as much as I think things are stale, far better with the devil we know than some unproven coach.

We need to make some signings. We are short in depth if we lose Wright along with Edmundson and Watkins. 3rd place is financially important due to the potential in european placement. Cormack needs to make it happen. If we want to be a top 100 european side nows the time to act.

Im firmly behind mcinnes. Hes a good manager and gas done well during his time here. Id personally be gutted if he were to leave.

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

If Scott Wright wants to sign for Rangers and they want him, there is no way he can stay a game longer than when this happens. Like most others on here, the one player that I don’t want anywhere near the home dressing room at Pittodrie again is Greg Stewart. Any of the others mentioned have done a decent job at times in their careers, so I’d be willing to take a chance. Jordan Jones probably my pick.

Jordan Jones!! I hope not...why must we take any of these Sevco rejects?

7 hours ago, TheDon99 said:

The McCrorie deal is an incredible bit of business. Guaranteed to get either 5+ years of him playing a key role in the team or double/triple what we paid for him.
Describing any part of the deal as embarrassing is bizarre considering we will benefit far far more from it than 'they' ever will.

I'm not so sure, it makes me feel uncomfortable when we're in debt to them. McCrorie won't be here 5 years but I agree that we might make money on him. My problem is with McCrorie himself but the club he came from. I could be wrong, but I remember reading it was 50 years since we've signed a player from that neck of woods albeit a different club now (Jim Forrest I think). There was a reason for this, they were our rivals. Let's not start getting cosy with them now. That's why I don't want any of there benchwarmers coming up here either in the short-term or 'permanently' as part of the Wright deal. And let's get this deal completed and get Wright out the door asap.

The idea of taking players on loan or buying from the Ugly Sisters doesn't feel right. The Christie on loan deal was embarrassment too. No doubt someone will inform me that the Christie loan was brilliant because we nearly signed him. 

And what if Wright becomes an incredible bit of business for them? They liked Jack too, and they did us favour with McCrorie so are the going to start cherry-picking our players?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

58 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I could come on and post long and well argued posts like a number of you have above but it boils down to this for me

Would I rather have Derek McInnes or Stephen Glass in charge?

The answer is simple - Derek McInnes. So as much as I think things are stale, far better with the devil we know than some unproven coach.

If Stephen Glass becomes Aberdeen manager then we'll know Cormack hasn't done due diligence to find the best candidate for the job. For that reason, I think it's nonsense.

McInnes is though finished here. He wants out and the fans should want him out. He did well from 2013-2018 but he's now past his shelf life with the Dons. I suspect, and would prefer, he left in the summer but I think it would be a tragedy for both parties if he remained past the summer. You only need look at McInnes now to understand that his ship has sailed and he himself wants a fresh challenge.

The fans that are scared of change need to get a grip. We may well go downhill initially and we may well go through a couple of managers until we find the right one but we need an injection of freshness around the club.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

The fans that are scared of change need to get a grip. We may well go downhill initially and we may well go through a couple of managers until we find the right one but we need an injection of freshness around the club.

The type of reasoning that brought us brexit.

28 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm not so sure, it makes me feel uncomfortable when we're in debt to them. McCrorie won't be here 5 years but I agree that we might make money on him. My problem is with McCrorie himself but the club he came from. I could be wrong, but I remember reading it was 50 years since we've signed a player from that neck of woods albeit a different club now (Jim Forrest I think). There was a reason for this, they were our rivals. Let's not start getting cosy with them now. That's why I don't want any of there benchwarmers coming up here either in the short-term or 'permanently' as part of the Wright deal. And let's get this deal completed and get Wright out the door asap.

The idea of taking players on loan or buying from the Ugly Sisters doesn't feel right. The Christie on loan deal was embarrassment too. No doubt someone will inform me that the Christie loan was brilliant because we nearly signed him. 

And what if Wright becomes an incredible bit of business for them? They liked Jack too, and they did us favour with McCrorie so are the going to start cherry-picking our players?

Aberdeen are not our rivals. I know Aberdeen fans think they are, but they really aren't. It's just another game against a tough Premiership side.

Chris Jack reporting that Greg Stewart is the player potentially going to Aberdeen if Wright signs early. Which surprises me, because I would have thought Aberdeen would much rather write off some of the McCrorie fee.

10 minutes ago, G51 said:

Aberdeen are not our rivals. I know Aberdeen fans think they are, but they really aren't. It's just another game against a tough Premiership side.

Chris Jack reporting that Greg Stewart is the player potentially going to Aberdeen if Wright signs early. Which surprises me, because I would have thought Aberdeen would much rather write off some of the McCrorie fee.

david brent on Twitter: "Oh, fucking hell!… "

oh fucking hell

Edited by RussellAnderson

54 minutes ago, G51 said:

Strange that Gerrard seemed to think it was.

“It does have a similar feel to an Old Firm in a way. Obviously nothing will ever compare to the Old Firm but Aberdeen is probably the next in line.

“It’s like Everton and Man United (with Liverpool). Everton being the closest with the derby but the Liverpool fans and United fans do class that as a derby. 
“You get that derby feeling in the build-up to an Aberdeen game.”

1 hour ago, the tungston weasel said:

The type of reasoning that brought us brexit.

I must admit the idea of going through multiple unsuccessful managers in the hope of maybe, possibly, hopefully getting it right after that does not fill me with confidence that we should be rushing to punt Mcinnes yet.

You would  hope that if Mcinnes planned to walk away it would be as part of a longer term plan or at the very least the club had decent options lined up before they even considered punting him.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

You only need look at McInnes now to understand that his ship has sailed and he himself wants a fresh challenge.

This was a big season for him, as the playing style had diminished in the last two seasons - albeit the league performances remained solid, with continued Euro qualification, which should NEVER be taken for granted.  I am far too used to studying Bert's coefficient tables and the merits of whether I'd prefer Petrocub Hincesti or Skenderbeu Korce if a push came to a shove.

Things were going so well, the fitba was bonnie - Hedges, Wright, Watkins movement superb, Ferguson/McCrorie nails - Hayes flying, Hoban unflappable

- then injuries, more injuries, Cosgrove, another semi-final letdown against a crisis-ridden opponent, Brown's assault on Watkins (4 months absence and a bounce ball), Ojo, Main, Covid, league cup exit with Joe throwing one in, suspensions, disillusioned fans, Cosgrove & Main together, players going to St Mirren or second tier clubs ahead of us, social media pant-pissing, young players with new lease of life being snapped up by the buns for two soldiers and a sausage, even more social media rumours....etc

Anytime we look good, things seem to quickly crumble.................still trying to work out what happened when McInnes got that Martindale-style eight wins in a row in 2015 - and a couple of weeks later St Johnstone are taking five off us at home.  Gone off in a tangent here, but summary is Derek must stay (I was completely McGheed and have not recovered from Grassi, Casper, Ifil etc yet to want to take that type of gamble again).

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

This might be the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life.

4 hours ago, d31 said:

It's not 100% certain it will happen but some geeks are fairly sure. As there is no winner of the ECL this season the plans dont work exactly so need a small fiddle to make it work. It's likely a Scottish team will benefit.

It's so important that its us

Sorry for the poor quality but this is the latest lists for the Europa League Final Qualifying Round (winner into Europa League group stage and loser into Conference League group stage) and the list for QR3 and QR4 of the Conference League. 

Looking at whom we may have to beat its preferable we are in the Europa League as I can't see us winning 2 rounds as an unseeded side in the Conference League.  

Hibs and Livingston fans may be interested in this list

20210111_130241.jpg

20210111_130027.jpg

36 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Gone off in a tangent here, but summary is Derek must stay (I was completely McGheed and have not recovered from Grassi, Casper, Ifil etc yet to want to take that type of gamble again).

I'm not defending McGhee but he was working with a very limited budget. We were millions in debt before the intervention of Willie and Elaine Donald. 

A new manager isn't going to be operating with a squad consisting of players of the standard of Kerr, Mcdonald, Clangers, Duff, Grassi, Ifil, Young et al... How do you think McInnes would've got on with that lot?

Covid has been a big financial set back for the club but McInnes leaving doesn't send us spinning back to 2009 conditions. 

Also, "when things looked good" we still got knocked out of Europe after barely landing a punch against Sporting Lisbon team that hadn't played much if any competitive action that season, and were pumped in the next round.

We still played without passion and again without laying a glove on the opening game of the season against Sevco. 

The warning signs were there that a McInnes team weren't going to progress any further than previous seasons despite what seemed a generous backing to improve the squad by the chairman over the summer. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Aberdeen are not our rivals. I know Aberdeen fans think they are, but they really aren't. 

If we aren't your rivals why are you lurking about on this thread? 

However, I agree to an extent. I was more referring to the old club rather than the phoenix one. The games had a bit more bite pre-2012.

Although that season we knocked you out both domestic cups was enjoyable. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

8 hours ago, G51 said:

If Aberdeen aren’t a rival, as the supposed third best team in Scotland that commentators keep saying, then what a sad existence you live as a football club.

Only 1 rival in a whole season, every season, forever. The duopoly is the biggest thing to kill Scottish football.

I’m not a big fan of a lot of things the Americans do, but they get their sports right. Yes the money is obscene, but it’s set up in a way that’s fairer and gives all the teams a chance. Competitive, that’s the word. 
How hollow it must feel when you win all these games against wee crappy teams week in, week out. Almost a chore. 
The over the top celebrations when you win a trophy are almost fake, as you have no idea what’s it like to win something which is an actual achievement ( unless you win a European trophy). 
f**k being a Sevco or Celtic fan, sounds shite.