The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, Jute said:

It does. Maybe Cerny is not coming back.

Good for him if he's getting a move to finish his career as a first pick but if we are planning on carrying the three senior keepers for the second half of the season it is a very bizarre use of the budget.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I will believe the Mcinnes stuff when I see it. Has all the hallmarks of absolute drivel.

The only thing that has me thinking it could be true is we were told there'll be signings in January. Nobody mentioned folk leaving for others to come in like we usually would.

Otherwise inclined to agree.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The only thing that has me thinking it could be true is we were told there'll be signings in January. Nobody mentioned folk leaving for others to come in like we usually would.

Otherwise inclined to agree.

Well, it could well be the case that there is tension between the manager and Dave C over this window. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

Someone has then just taken that and run off with a wee fiction I suspect.

Can't say I agree with the clamour for McInnes to be sacked on social media at the moment.

I appreciate that fans are bored. He's been here for nearly 8 years and we've clearly plateaued, the football has been shite a lot of the time, Rangers are out of reach and worst of all, we can't even attend the games. I wouldn't even be completely against him leaving at the end of this season or next if he feels he's taken us as far as he can. However, given that no other non-OF manager has achieved the points totals that he has for even more than 1 season, I would be very surprised if we dramatically improved for a sustained period of time, at least domestically. It is worth noting that there have been more misses than hits in terms of managerial appointments amongst the biggest clubs in the SPFL in recent years as well as at our own club going further back and whilst Cormack has been very impressive in terms of improving things off the park, there's no guarantee that he or the rest of the board have what it takes to identify and recruit a successful football manager.

This isn't a "Remember McGhee" rant but it should not be forgotten that Derek has raised the bar at the club both on and off the park compared to the set up that he inherited and the vitriol he's receiving does not sit right with me. With McInnes we have a safe bet for 65-75 points, a couple of semi finals, maybe a shot at a final and through a couple of rounds in Europe if the draw is kind. If improving on that is the expectation for a new manager then I would expect that we'll be looking for new managers every 12-18 months going forward.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be more ambitious but I'd be wary of us finding ourselves playing in the Betfred Group Stages after hounding out a pretty successful manager because things were getting boring and we fancied a change.

23 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Can't say I agree with the clamour for McInnes to be sacked on social media at the moment.

I appreciate that fans are bored. He's been here for nearly 8 years and we've clearly plateaued, the football has been shite a lot of the time, Rangers are out of reach and worst of all, we can't even attend the games. I wouldn't even be completely against him leaving at the end of this season or next if he feels he's taken us as far as he can. However, given that no other non-OF manager has achieved the points totals that he has for even more than 1 season, I would be very surprised if we dramatically improved for a sustained period of time, at least domestically. It is worth noting that there have been more misses than hits in terms of managerial appointments amongst the biggest clubs in the SPFL in recent years as well as at our own club going further back and whilst Cormack has been very impressive in terms of improving things off the park, there's no guarantee that he or the rest of the board have what it takes to identify and recruit a successful football manager.

This isn't a "Remember McGhee" rant but it should not be forgotten that Derek has raised the bar at the club both on and off the park compared to the set up that he inherited and the vitriol he's receiving does not sit right with me. With McInnes we have a safe bet for 65-75 points, a couple of semi finals, maybe a shot at a final and through a couple of rounds in Europe if the draw is kind. If improving on that is the expectation for a new manager then I would expect that we'll be looking for new managers every 12-18 months going forward.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be more ambitious but I'd be wary of us finding ourselves playing in the Betfred Group Stages after hounding out a pretty successful manager because things were getting boring and we fancied a change.

Success is relative. We've have none for the past two years.

Third is acceptable for me this season.

3 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

Can't get my head around the idea that we have zero money for new signings this window but will happily pay off a decent manager mid-season because a few fans are bored with only being above average every year

You don't need to get your head around something that won't happen.

Cormack needs to stop dealing with this club. The year long debt to them for McCrorie was an embarrassment but we shouldn't have even dealt with them if we were in a position to pay off the bat. 
He's obviously forging links with this club at boardroom level which is very concerning. 
However, we have a debt to pay so let's shift this player out to them during this window to start paying it off and please don't take anyone of their bench warmers in return. 
I'd rather we start giving opportunities to some of your younger players. 
The McCrorie deal is an incredible bit of business. Guaranteed to get either 5+ years of him playing a key role in the team or double/triple what we paid for him.
Describing any part of the deal as embarrassing is bizarre considering we will benefit far far more from it than 'they' ever will.

34 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

We're in third and won't be finishing higher any time soon. We might get within 10 of Celtic if they continue current form. 

There are enough variables with the pandemic and us trying to move house. We don't need to be chucking another in. 

I favour stability for the moment. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'm convinced that if Watkins had remained fit and stayed with us, we'd be 2nd in the league just now. 

The clamour to sack McInnes would have been non-existant (bar the normal twitter nutters).

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm convinced that if Watkins had remained fit and stayed with us, we'd be 2nd in the league just now. 

The clamour to sack McInnes would have been non-existant (bar the normal twitter nutters).

That sounds overly optimistic but he must be a key target for this month and the summer.

I hope the letting him go back is a bluff and we'll make a move nearer the deadline (given he's injured till end Feb anyways)

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, d31 said:

That sounds overly optimistic but he must be a key target for this month and the summer.

I hope the letting him go back is a bluff and we'll make a move nearer the deadline (given he's injured till end Feb anyways)

Aye, I did have a pint half full moment. 

We were in a nice wee run of form though, which came shuddering to a halt due to Watkins injury and the SFA covid f**k up. If we'd continued that....say we had another 5 or 6 points....I think Celtic could well have imploded more than they have. 

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic though 😞

33 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Derek has just confirmed Rangers interest in Wright and there may be a deal to be done in January.

If you're of a conspiratorial mindset the quote from McInnes is interesting: "There has been a conversation at boardroom level".

I'm definitely a "remember McGhee" type, I was convinced Calderwood's last side weren't performing as well as they could and bringing in a manager who had Motherwell playing exciting football on a shoestring budget was a masterstroke. Clearly my opinions shouldn't be trusted...

If, and it’s a really big “if” which I am 100% against, Derek McInnes leaves us soon, we are in a good position in the league with the Scottish Cup to come. We all know that what happens next is that we fall away to fighting to be a top six team, never mind qualifying for European football. I would have loved to have had more cups than the one we have under him, but I have been more than happy to have a consistent league team, winning a lot more games than we lose, qualifying for Europe every year, going into most games expecting to win rather than hoping to win. How many times have we heard players say after signing that they signed for Derek McInnes rather than the team. Derek McInnes leaves, mediocrity beckons.