The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

There’s no way he’s a free agent. He was one of the main men for Miami so no way they’d release him. There was talk of championship clubs looking to bid a couple of million on him the other week.

You're right he signed a 3 year deal last January.

The players we have should be good enough to finish 3rd. No reason why they can’t win the SC.

We’d probably need to spend a fortune and be lucky to catch Celtic.

I’m guessing income is currently a minuscule fraction of costs. 

While I’d love us to be assembling a best of the rest galacticos, I can see why it makes little sense.

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Strange for them to be saying that now and completely contradicting his comments last month. Maybe couldn't shift someone we thought would go?

Yeah that’s the only issue I have. Given everything going on saying that we can’t afford to bring anyone in would seem to be fairly straightforward but as you say previous comments seemed to suggest one or two would be coming in so it makes it seem like there’s either been poor communication between Mcinnes and the board or the budget has changed quite a bit in a short space of time.

6 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Yeah that’s the only issue I have. Given everything going on saying that we can’t afford to bring anyone in would seem to be fairly straightforward but as you say previous comments seemed to suggest one or two would be coming in so it makes it seem like there’s either been poor communication between Mcinnes and the board or the budget has changed quite a bit in a short space of time.

As mentioned above there's a load of bodies to leave in the summer and all will be on a decent wedge. This is a very critical summer in terms of recruitment. We can't allow for the mistakes we've made in others.

McGinn, Logan and Devlin alone has to shift around £10k off the weekly wage. Main will surely be away. Anderson and McLennan won't be on much considering what an experienced player in the same role would be earning. Maybe Bruce is worth another year?

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No signings is a right kick in the balls. I fear our front line could cost us 3rd.

Need to hope Wright and Hedges can stay fit.

Recalling Virtanen is a strange one. Maybe he's going to get six months to see if he has it. If so then we can offer him something and that maybe takes Ojo's place next year?

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Recalling Virtanen is a strange one. Maybe he's going to get six months to see if he has it. If so then we can offer him something and that maybe takes Ojo's place next year?

If he's a real prospect then I'd like to see him given chances ahead of Ojo. I've seen enough of him. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If he's a real prospect then I'd like to see him given chances ahead of Ojo. I've seen enough of him. :lol:

🤣

I'm just playing football manager in real life and trying to find ways the club could cut the budget somewhat without losing too much quality.

My view on the reason that no one will be coming in, is that players that we were hoping to move on are refusing to leave. Anderson and Virtanen added to the squad boosts the numbers if not the quality. One hope of mine is looking at what Scott Wright has done this season kind of out of the blue, Bruce Anderson has the ability to do the same up front. Ever the optimist.

The players we have should be good enough to finish 3rd. No reason why they can’t win the SC.
We’d probably need to spend a fortune and be lucky to catch Celtic.
I’m guessing income is currently a minuscule fraction of costs. 

While I’d love us to be assembling a best of the rest galacticos, I can see why it makes little sense.

Strange for them to be saying that now and completely contradicting his comments last month. Maybe couldn't shift someone we thought would go?
Suspect that all of the following are applicable:

1) We couldn't shift anyone on
2) We may have budgeted for some more income by now which has not panned out due to Covid
3) We have stretched our budget to the max to land McCrorie among others in the summer.

Ultimately while we lack a bit up front, we are relatively decent defensively so we have to hope that keeps us above Hibernian and win us the Scottish Cup.

I think the only things I would like to see done differently is a continuation of the quieter period we have seen from Dave Cormack lately, we don't need updates every single day, and also if the season does get stopped, we need to furlough instantly. While the gesture of getting players to phone fans was nice, the cost savings lost in March and April might have been enough to land a player in January.

21 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Suspect that all of the following are applicable:

1) We couldn't shift anyone on
2) We may have budgeted for some more income by now which has not panned out due to Covid
3) We have stretched our budget to the max to land McCrorie among others in the summer.

Ultimately while we lack a bit up front, we are relatively decent defensively so we have to hope that keeps us above Hibernian and win us the Scottish Cup.

I think the only things I would like to see done differently is a continuation of the quieter period we have seen from Dave Cormack lately, we don't need updates every single day, and also if the season does get stopped, we need to furlough instantly. While the gesture of getting players to phone fans was nice, the cost savings lost in March and April might have been enough to land a player in January.

Hoping it's option 3.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

My view on the reason that no one will be coming in, is that players that we were hoping to move on are refusing to leave. Anderson and Virtanen added to the squad boosts the numbers if not the quality. One hope of mine is looking at what Scott Wright has done this season kind of out of the blue, Bruce Anderson has the ability to do the same up front. Ever the optimist.

What I've seen of Virtanen on three occasions, I think he has a lot of quality. His running style is reminiscint of Kenny McLean although a different type of player. 

I'd be looking forward to him returning and getting decent game time but alas, it won't happen. 

Anderson, in my view, has a suspect attitude which will always hold him back unless he grows out of it. 

Think it's right that Mcinnes has said we won't be signing anyone unless we sell someone, at least the fans will become get a bit of reality to horrible situation the club is currently facing. Cormark has already pointed out without crowds for the whole season we will lose over 5 million, thankfully McKenna transfer really helped us.

If this pandemic countines into next season then nearly every out of contract player will be released and we will have to blood youngsters into the first team. 

Hopefully the vaccine will mean by August crowds will be back.