The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

In truth I was somewhat disappointed to have missed out on Brophy as I thought he'd be an improvement on Main however I'm really disappointed about missing out on GMS. Coincided with Wright turning us down.

Clearly Covid has taken its toll on the clubs finances.

Next season's squad could be interesting to say the least.

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

In truth I was somewhat disappointed to have missed out on Brophy as I thought he'd be an improvement on Main however I'm really disappointed about missing out on GMS. Coincided with Wright turning us down.

It could just be the fact we're not that fussed about signing him or Brophy?

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'd like to think there are alternatives out there better than Main.

GMS would've been good but it's hardly the end of the world.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm delighted we're not signing GMS (Brophy I thought was an upgrade on what we currently have) but if we weren't that fussed then why were we bothering investigating the possibility with either? GMS would have been a bad signing with a relatively hefty wage...two years of failure on and the Jambos are welcome to him

1 minute ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm delighted we're not signing GMS (Brophy I thought was an upgrade on what we currently have) but if we weren't that fussed then why were we bothering investigating the possibility with either? GMS would have been a bad signing with a relatively hefty wage...two years of failure on and the Jambos are welcome to him

We're going to be a few players down after the summer. Some big wages will go. We have the nucleus of a very good starting XI. These guys could have been told they wouldn't be considered guaranteed starters.

Alternatively we could also be skint. I'm wary of getting myself upset jumping to that immediate conclusion.

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

We're going to be a few players down after the summer. Some big wages will go. We have the nucleus of a very good starting XI. These guys could have been told they wouldn't be considered guaranteed starters.

Alternatively we could also be skint. I'm wary of getting myself upset jumping to that immediate conclusion.

Think it's fair to say we're pushing the limit of our budget as it stands.

Unless we have guaranteed players on their way out the door I doubt we could be offering the world to either GMS or Brophy currently. Or we've told them any offer is dependent on someone leaving and they've decided to go with a more solid offer elsewhere.

Don't think we necessarily need to panic.

Edited by Dons_1988

I liked Mackay-Steven - if he was on form, he could glide past defenders and make it look effortless and he is a good finisher.  We just didn't see enough of him - largely due to the injury received playing Celtic at Hampden (which, see Watkins, Marley.....also was not deemed a foul, and it was in the box)
I notice he's now 30 - so not sure if his pace is still as it was.  He particularly seemed to enjoy scoring against Hibs, so can see the attraction down Tynecastle way.
Since McInnes has been at the club, I don't think we have ever lost out on a player we have really wanted to another Scottish club outwith the cheeks.
The mood music certainly seems to have changed there given the news on Wright, Mackay-Steven and Brophy - although I still refuse to believe that we're being outdone by St Mirren.......

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Going by the comments made in the evening express by Willie Miller and Joey Harper, they have both commented about Aberdeen attempting to sign Watkins on a preseason contract will be our #1 priority. Willie Miller had mentioned the likelihood of Leigh signing which in actuality happened the following day. So I'm wondering if they are indicating some of the transfer activity for this window.

I'm still hopefully Ross Stewart, Watkins and Campbell (very unlikely) will sign preseason contracts with us.

I'm not so confident McLennan will stay sign a new deal either.

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Think it's fair to say we're pushing the limit of our budget as it stands.

Unless we have guaranteed players on their way out the door I doubt we could be offering the world to either GMS or Brophy currently. Or we've told them any offer is dependent on someone leaving and they've decided to go with a more solid offer elsewhere.

Don't think we necessarily need to panic.

Yeah exactly. Of the out of contract players in the summer I think McLennan and Taylor will be here next season. Hernandez, Cosgrove and Ojo will also be gone by the start of next season.

22 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I liked Mackay-Steven - if he was on form, he could glide past defenders and make it look effortless and he is a good finisher.  We just didn't see enough him - largely due to the injury received playing Celtic at Hampden (which, see Watkins, Marley.....also was not deemed a foul, and it was in the box)

I notice he's now 30 - so not sure if his pace is still as it was.  He particularly seemed to enjoy scoring against Hibs, so can see the attraction down Tynecastle way.

Since McInnes has been at the club, I don't think we have ever lost out on a player we have really wanted to another Scottish club outwith the cheeks.

The mood music certainly seems to have changed there given the news on Wright, Mackay-Steven and Brophy - although I still refuse to believe that we're being outdone by St Mirren.......

GMS was/is a talented player. There's no question about it. My main concern was always GMS played for GMS rather than himself. It's no real surprise to me that televised games were where he shined.

It's also interesting to look at the stats in his final season. It felt like he was carrying us at times but then when he was injured the team as a whole played better.

15 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Going by the comments made in the evening express by Willie Miller and Joey Harper, they have both commented about Aberdeen attempting to sign Watkins on a preseason contract will be our #1 priority. Willie Miller had mentioned the likelihood of Leigh signing which in actuality happened the following day. So I'm wondering if they are indicating some of the transfer activity for this window.

I'm still hopefully Ross Stewart, Watkins and Campbell (very unlikely) will sign preseason contracts with us.

I'm not so confident McLennan will stay sign a new deal either.

I'd really doubt they have a clue of what's going on transfer wise. Regarding Watkins I wouldn't be happy if we put all of our eggs in that basket. I'd like us to sign a similar, younger player.

I doubt we'll get Campbell but it could be we can't sign Brophy or GMS because we've offered him a very good wage.

From the press conference today

Nobody will be signing in January.

“We run as we are. We have a squad that has got to third in the league and we want to try and improve on that in the second half of the season.

“If we can get a fair wind with injuries and try to get our best players available more often, then we are more confident of meeting our objectives of getting into Europe again and having a good second half of the campaign.

“There is not a manager who won’t want to make one or two adjustments to the squad. We are not in a position where we are able to do that.

“We go as we are.

“Marley Watkins won’t be back. His injury will keep him out until the back end of February, beginning of March, he won’t be back in January.

“If somebody moved on it may change things. We don’t plan on selling anyone in January so we stay as we are.

So there we go.

10 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Sign of the times to come, unfortunately. I'd suspect we're one of the clubs to be hit hardest by the pandemic.

Fully expect the majority of our OOC players to leave in the summer, including high profile players like Hoban.

Worrying times.

I'd still suspect the occasional pre-contract. A fair number of players will be leaving the club at the end of the season. Cosgrove and Hernandez will most likely be sold. I think Fergie may leave in the summer to cover our losses. 

I see Lewis Morgan is available as a free agent.

Edit: Can rule him out as well as we've no money.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'd still suspect the occasional pre-contract. A fair number of players will be leaving the club at the end of the season. Cosgrove and Hernandez will most likely be sold. I think Fergie may leave in the summer to cover our losses. 

I see Lewis Morgan is available as a free agent.

There’s no way he’s a free agent. He was one of the main men for Miami so no way they’d release him. There was talk of championship clubs looking to bid a couple of million on him the other week.