The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

The EE article said he could potentially leave for nothing, though I thought we’d have been due some sort of compensation due to his age. Though does this not apply cross-border?

McInnes quotes below for anyone who hadn’t seen them:

McInnes said: “It looks as if Scott is looking at trying something different, maybe looking down South unfortunately.

“From our point of view, we are really keen for Scott to stay, but he just wants to keep his options open at the minute.

“We have done all we can to try and get Scott to stay.

“But we are now four months in and are not any further forward.

“We have not been able to reach an agreement.

“Scott and his agent have indicated they want to look at options and are not in a position to commit.

From my point of view, the biggest annoyance would be a player from our academy leaving once again for nothing more than a development fee like Fyvie and Fraser.

You wonder how many times the club are going to get done like this before changing the way we do contracts with these younger players?

McKenna being the exception to the above rule before anyone correctly points that out.

10 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

From my point of view, the biggest annoyance would be a player from our academy leaving once again for nothing more than a development fee like Fyvie and Fraser.

You wonder how many times the club are going to get done like this before changing the way we do contracts with these younger players?

McKenna being the exception to the above rule before anyone correctly points that out.

Let's be honest, nobody on here would have been too fussed if he left in the summer of 2020.

Rumours that Goldson, Kent and Kamara have tested positive for covid. Game to go ahead though.
Hopefully we can give them a proper game this time round. The first game was meek and the game at Ibrox was just a horrible afternoon. We have looked rather powderpuff without the crowd behind us at Pittodrie and hating us at Ibrox.

9 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:
9 hours ago, Merkland Red said:
Let's be honest, nobody on here would have been too fussed if he left in the summer of 2020.

Understandably so but my point remains in that it is not a one off - it's a pattern that the club need to address.

Let’s take Scott Wright in isolation. He hadn’t really shown any real sign that he was going to break through to be the important player that he has been this season and had one year left on his contract last summer. You’re saying that the club should have got him on an extended deal where he could have continued to pick up a wage and contribute very little to the team, which is what looked as if this would have been the case. I would say credit to the club for trying to get Wright to commit to the club whenever he started to fulfill his potential with us. Nobody would have too happy with us trying to throw good money after bad on him before August last year.

10 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:
10 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Understandably so but my point remains in that it is not a one off - it's a pattern that the club need to address.

I can see your point but if we'd given him a 5 year contract last January everyone would have been baffled. The last time we lost a decent academy player for nothing was under Brown, i think? Not counting the *** serpent. 

Yeah we haven't had too much of an issue losing youth under Mcinnes. We've generally been pretty quick to get new contracts to players who are clearly first team quality. Mckenna got what felt like 4 new contracts in 18 months. Ferguson, Cosgrove were given improved deals as soon as it became clear they were first choice. Wright has had new contracts plus Mclennan, Campbell etc have all been retained. There will be more.

Wright is an issue of timing in that he's finally shown himself to be worthy of a regular spot in the final year of his contract. If the player wants to go, there's not a huge amount the club can do other than offer the best feasible terms.

Edited by Dons_1988

Every time Wright has shown a bit of promise he's been injured very soon afterwards. At 18/19 that could just be growing pains but he's 24 in the summer so I'm not sure his body can hack professional football.

If he fancies it he can absolutely change a game but he doesn't do it regularly enough to be an out and out #10, he's not a winger and he'd need to be part of a two to play up front. 

10 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:
11 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:
Rumours that Goldson, Kent and Kamara have tested positive for covid. Game to go ahead though.

Hopefully we can give them a proper game this time round. The first game was meek and the game at Ibrox was just a horrible afternoon. We have looked rather powderpuff without the crowd behind us at Pittodrie and hating us at Ibrox.

The Ibrox game was awful but we were down 6/7 starters that day!

The opening day of the season we had no excuse though.

Let’s take Scott Wright in isolation. He hadn’t really shown any real sign that he was going to break through to be the important player that he has been this season and had one year left on his contract last summer. You’re saying that the club should have got him on an extended deal where he could have continued to pick up a wage and contribute very little to the team, which is what looked as if this would have been the case. I would say credit to the club for trying to get Wright to commit to the club whenever he started to fulfill his potential with us. Nobody would have too happy with us trying to throw good money after bad on him before August last year.
I can see your point but if we'd given him a 5 year contract last January everyone would have been baffled. The last time we lost a decent academy player for nothing was under Brown, i think? Not counting the *** serpent. 
Both very fair posts and I don't disagree. I guess it's frustration from my part on losing the lad but as many have said, it likely will be another Peter Pawlett style move where he's too fragile for England and ends up back at a wee team up here.

Fair point chaps. Apologies for the moan.

You've fallen for a parody account pal.
Aye just realised that. Got sent it through WhatsApp.

As for Wright. If he wants to go, then fine, I just can't see him really doing much better than Aberdeen. He'll be thinking he could be another Ryan Fraser or Fyvie (albeit much older than they were when they went South) but as had previously been mentioned, more likely to be a Peter Pawlett. He started last season decent before the bad injury and has shown in flashes that he could be an important player but not often enough. He must have something lined up though because I'd be very surprised if in the half a dozen good games he had at the start of the season, he's done enough to have an English championship club convinced to take a punt on him. If McInnes was to freeze him out, as Dyer is doing with Brophy at Killie, could backfire on him.

1 hour ago, afc_blockhead said:

The Ibrox game was awful but we were down 6/7 starters that day!

The opening day of the season we had no excuse though.

The first game was poor from the club in general. 

We milled about playing a few bounce games against a couple of teams in the league. Rangers played several games against high level opposition. At one point their reserves played Motherwell while their first team had just played in France.

Edited by Merkland Red