The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Derek McInnes is constantly called a cautious manager, with yesterday’s goalless draw another sign of that in some eyes. When you actually look back at what happened, Hoban with two headers past the post when he should have scored, Andy Considine header over the bar when he should have scored, Curtis Main with a shot over the bar when he should have scored, a potential penalty when Hedges was pushed over, a Main shot which was blocked for a corner, the facts don’t bear out the myth.

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Derek McInnes is constantly called a cautious manager, with yesterday’s goalless draw another sign of that in some eyes. When you actually look back at what happened, Hoban with two headers past the post when he should have scored, Andy Considine header over the bar when he should have scored, Curtis Main with a shot over the bar when he should have scored, a potential penalty when Hedges was pushed over, a Main shot which was blocked for a corner, the facts don’t bear out the myth.

Yesterday wasn't on McInnes. Some players let him down.

McInnes absolutely is cautious which is why we see the 'game management' when we're winning. Usually pays off.

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that McInnes only signs one 'type' of striker. He has also signed the likes of Maynard, Storey, Church, May, Wilson and Goodwillie over his tenure, who have all been quite different in their own ways to the three options we have fit and available at the moment. I think it is fair to say, however, that he generally prefers to have a striker capable of 'leading the line'. 

It definitely isn't a good look for him that Main is currently his preferred option there, though. Whether Brophy is the answer to that, I'm not so sure. 

Edited by DrewDon

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that McInnes only signs one 'type' of striker. He has also signed the likes of Maynard, Storey, Church, May, Wilson and Goodwillie over his tenure, who have all been quite different in their own ways to the three options we have fit and available at the moment. I think it is fair to say, however, that he generally prefers to have a striker capable of 'leading the line'. 
It definitely isn't a good look for him that Main is currently his preferred option there, though. Whether Brophy is the answer to that, I'm not so sure. 

Goodwillie, Storey, Church, were bought before “that” Hearts game that convinced DM we needed a striker to “rough” defenders up like they did to us.

He never gave Maynard a chance.

Interesting to see Derek say that Virtanen is also being recalled from his loan spell, I wonder if this is to allow Ojo to leave to free up some wages for attacking options
Don't give me hope like that about Ojo being punted. I've already resigned myself to another half season of dross from the Belgian Pirlo

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Pretty worried if Derek thinks Cadden is a signing we should be making.

I’m pretty worried that Derek thinks GMS is a signing we should be making.

McGinn returning hasn’t worked. Hayes, jury is still out.

McGinn is 34 in the summer. Theres still a good couple years left in GMS. Its a good replacement.

Main has/was an improvement on Stevie May (goal ratio wise). Brophy has a better goal ratio then Main so would be hoping for an improvement once again. 

Ross Stewart appears to be very similar to Cosgrove in physique, height etc however he does seem to have more pace and technical ability then Cosgrove. 

I'd take Findlay over Declan Gallagher due to his age. He'd be a good replacement for Devlin and Considine is getting old. Get Hoban singed up for another season. 

Watkins is an absolute must signing. Brilliant player.

Need to find a replacement for Logan/Hernandez. O'Donnell?

1 hour ago, G-MAN said:

He never gave Maynard a chance.

25 appearances, albeit some of them were short substitute appearances, without scoring a single goal seems like a reasonable chance to me. 

1 hour ago, Afc69 said:

McGinn returning hasn’t worked. Hayes, jury is still out.

That's harsh on McGinn. He looks like he's approaching the end now, but he was arguably our best and most important player last season.

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

25 appearances, albeit some of them were short substitute appearances, without scoring a single goal seems like a reasonable chance to me. 

That's harsh on McGinn. He looks like he's approaching the end now, but he was arguably our best and most important player last season.

Arguably our best player this past decade.

45 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I always thought Cadden was a central midfielder? Not a priority position imo.

He might have on occasion but I think I’ve only seen him play right back and occasionally right midfield for Motherwell?

Edited by Rodhull

7 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

He might have on occasion but I think I’ve only seen him play right back and occasionally right midfield for Motherwell?

I've just realised I'm thinking of someone else. A lad that came through at Motherwell and last I heard he'd moved to Morton.

Cadden I seem to recall was mainly pretty quick. I would imagine we'll be looking to bring O'Donnell back.