The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We’ve had a bad fortnight after a strong start to the season. some worrying signs but you’re hitting the outrage button way too early I’m afraid. 

Yip. I've watched awful football for 2 and a 1/2 years bar a 2 month spell where we mostly played some decent stuff. Cool.

This has been a pretty awful couple of weeks. I understand that there are injuries and the covid didn't help but this is supposed to be our strongest squad in years. Yet, McInnes has insisted on playing people out of position in the last few weeks.
I've vociferously defended McInnes over the past couple of seasons but we've arguably been quite fortunate to get away with 2 points against the two worst teams in the league. There is no point in absolutely battering Hibs if we can't get more than two points from Hamilton and St Mirren.
This run of fixtures was a great opportunity to pile up points, 8 fixtures in a row without playing anyone any good. Need to start getting some points from these games.

Two games against St Mirren and one against Hamilton 
Two draws and a cup exit
It’s absolutely shite no matter how you dress it up 

Struggle to disagree with this.

In the wider scheme of things, I get folk think things need freshens up, but we’re going to have results like these over time no matter who the manager is. The “budget” argument holds more water over the course of the season rather than necessarily individual games, as we’ve no right to demand anything against Sevco/Timmy if we demand to beat Accies and St Mirren every time regardless of circumstances.

Can sack him tomorrow, pay the £1m + plus whatever it takes to get a new gaffer in, but as long as either of/both the cheeks are semi competent then we’re probably not going to have trophy laden season after trophy laden season or finish above 3rd - the gap between where we are now roughly and where we can realistically get to isn’t huge IMO.

We aren’t as bad as people make out and neither is McInnes - people going completely over the score and calling him a fraud etc just undermines the more reasonable arguments about things going a bit stale in the last year or too.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t let me stop you having your tantrum. You’ve earned it. 

Fantastic. Rather than actually make a point you just decide to condescend. 

I'd begun to type something out regarding the strong start to the season but there's little point when you're not going to bother with it.

He literally could not have hand picked three better fixtures to play after the Rangers game and we've made an arse of it. 

"A point with ten men is a good result." Not when you should have been behind long before the red it's not. He's effectively blaming the ref's decision.

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

Struggle to disagree with this.

In the wider scheme of things, I get folk think things need freshens up, but we’re going to have results like these over time no matter who the manager is. The “budget” argument holds more water over the course of the season rather than necessarily individual games, as we’ve no right to demand anything against Sevco/Timmy if we demand to beat Accies and St Mirren every time regardless of circumstances.

Can sack him tomorrow, pay the £1m + plus whatever it takes to get a new gaffer in, but as long as either of/both the cheeks are semi competent then we’re probably not going to have trophy laden season after trophy laden season or finish above 3rd - the gap between where we are now roughly and where we can realistically get to isn’t huge IMO.

We aren’t as bad as people make out and neither is McInnes - people going completely over the score and calling him a fraud etc just undermines the more reasonable arguments about things going a bit stale in the last year or too.

I agree with this for the most part but it's unfair to have a go at the bams. They're allowed an opinion. They think we should be beating Hamilton/St Mirren every time whilst also thinking we should be beating Celtic/Rangers every time. We also have the opposite side of the coin where some folk don't like to use the 'budget' argument when we drop points to the lesser teams but are more than happy to use it when we struggle against the Old Firm.

He's surrounded himself with a coaching team where nobody challenges him. They're all secure in their jobs and unless something drastic happens then none of them are going to go any higher than this level.

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Alan Nixon reporting that Newcastle are keen on Cosgrove. I mean, on recent form, a move straight to the Premier League would be nothing short of a miracle for Sam - and I say that as someone who rates him quite highly. 

Given that Andy Carroll has not scored for 2 and half seasons in the league they will probably see Cosgrove as an improvement. 

On 30/11/2020 at 17:38, Zapp Brannigan said:

McInnes has earned the right to leave on his own terms IMO and I think he'll leave at the end of his current contract.

It's a strange position for him though as I don't think his stock is as high as it was and can't see him getting a significantly bigger club now.

Maybe if Gerrard left Rangers and it aligned well with McInnes leaving Aberdeen at the same time then he'd probably end up there.

😃 Remind me what McInnes has done to "earn the right to leave on his own terms"? You're getting mixed up with Fergie

With regards 'Rangers', they died in 2012; Sevco on the other hand won't be employing McInnes at any date in the future

On 29/11/2020 at 23:01, kingjoey said:

When you say “the last month” what you really mean is the last week. Nobody was complaining about the football up until the Rangers game a week ago today. I know that you are trying to make your case sound more plausible by using “the last month” but it really isn’t. No doubt you will use the semi final in your argument, but the reality is that over the 90 minutes plus, it wasn’t a bad performance, but two teams trying to win the game and we  lost out on the day. To dress it up as anything else is called having an agenda.

I've been complaining about the McInnes pro-hoofball style for the last three years King. You need to take off your red spectacles once in a while and return to reality

On 30/11/2020 at 18:44, Frank Grimes said:

I’m not advocating for Derek to be sacked FWIW

I don’t think it should or will happen. Would be financial negligence for one thing.

It is possible to be appreciative of what he’s done at the club and still feel we could do with a change of pace.

We are ready for a change, his contract is probably a year too long as parting ways at the end of this season may have been ideal but hey ho, he’s probably here until 2022

I’ve made my peace with that and ‘McInnes Out’ bores on SM who spout shite every time  we concede a corner should do that as well.

We have an interesting run of fixtures in December, all very winnable but some real banana skins as well

He really needs a good December to give us momentum for the final part of the season 

It was financial negligence to hand him a two year extension at £750k a year. And Cormack was involved in that just as much as Milne

I agree with this for the most part but it's unfair to have a go at the bams. They're allowed an opinion. They think we should be beating Hamilton/St Mirren every time whilst also thinking we should be beating Celtic/Rangers every time. We also have the opposite side of the coin where some folk don't like to use the 'budget' argument when we drop points to the lesser teams but are more than happy to use it when we struggle against the Old Firm.
He's surrounded himself with a coaching team where nobody challenges him. They're all secure in their jobs and unless something drastic happens then none of them are going to go any higher than this level.

Of course, but it’s also completely counterproductive when the bams suggest someone like Barry Robson as a replacement (which insinuates that we couldn’t do any worse than DM and might as well go for an untried youth coach) then go nuts any time anybody mentions McGhee or the idea that we aren’t at our lowest ebb.

It’s all very symptomatic of a relationship which has gone on too long, similar to Calderwood in the sense that he’s by no means the worst manager we’ve had but we’ve hit a plateau and it’s all just got too cosy.

If we’re replacing him it needs to be a with a winner, sometime with a proven record of winning trophies and punching ABOVE a club’s weight budget wise (if more or less punching to our weight over the seasons is sackable).

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It was financial negligence to hand him a two year extension at £750k a year. And Cormack was involved in that just as much as Milne

So do you believe we should be paying off a manager when matchday revenue is down 85%? 

Edited by Menzel
spelling

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Fantastic. Rather than actually make a point you just decide to condescend. 

I'd begun to type something out regarding the strong start to the season but there's little point when you're not going to bother with it.

He literally could not have hand picked three better fixtures to play after the Rangers game and we've made an arse of it. 

"A point with ten men is a good result." Not when you should have been behind long before the red it's not. He's effectively blaming the ref's decision.

The reaction is totally disproportionate tbh. Thinly veiled threats to withdraw your support over what is essentially a rough patch. 

yesterday was the first time since the international break that we looked back to relatively normal personnel and even then Ferguson and mccrorie looked off the pace and we’re still missing Watkins and Wright. Watkins has been a huge miss for us.

26 points from 33 before the break and playing some decent stuff. The squad gets ravaged by injury and COVID and lo and behold the performances drop off. 

There are of course legitimate criticisms and concerns, the biggest for me being that the fringes of the squad seem a lot worse than we may have thought plus Cosgrove is looking heavy shite of late. 

I just can’t be arsed with the ‘I deserve better’ feet stamping over an explainable dip in form. 

6 hours ago, Menzel said:

So do you believe we should be paying off a manager when matchday revenue is down 85%? 

Ideally not, but then he should've never received the extension in the first place, and wasn't worth the money we're paying him.

However, we're going to struggle to attract fans back when the stadiums open again playing this style of eye-bleeding football, so do we continue with McInnes as manager until his contract runs out in the summer of 2022? 

12 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

We haven't beaten Celtic, aside from May 2018 when Celtic weren't playing for anything and win for us would stop Sevco finishing second, since February 2016. Therefore, five years ago in three months time. During that time, we've recorded two draws. 

Sevco is better with four wins, three away and one at home. However, we haven't beaten them at home since September 2016.

Given that stats, I doubt any 'bam' thinks we should win every time we play them. 

The performance in the recent Scottish Cup semi final was an example of the loser's mentality we have when we play them. They were there for the taking and we didn't lay a glove on them. 

And, in my opinion, I point the finger of blame for this at our overpaid and comfortable manager who can't seem to motivate his players enough or figure out tactically how to win these big games.

The same is true in Europe for our consistent failure at the 3rd qualifying round. There was an opportunity this season against an unfit Sporting Lisbon team and we were abject. 

59 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The reaction is totally disproportionate tbh. Thinly veiled threats to withdraw your support over what is essentially a rough patch. 

yesterday was the first time since the international break that we looked back to relatively normal personnel and even then Ferguson and mccrorie looked off the pace and we’re still missing Watkins and Wright. Watkins has been a huge miss for us.

26 points from 33 before the break and playing some decent stuff. The squad gets ravaged by injury and COVID and lo and behold the performances drop off. 

There are of course legitimate criticisms and concerns, the biggest for me being that the fringes of the squad seem a lot worse than we may have thought plus Cosgrove is looking heavy shite of late. 

I just can’t be arsed with the ‘I deserve better’ feet stamping over an explainable dip in form. 

It's not essentially a rough patch. We've underperformed for several years. Now we are going back to the same crap, direct style of football that had us finishing below Kilmarnock and Motherwell (on a fraction of our budget).

You're worried that our expensively assembled squad doesn't look as deep as you thought. Who assembled that squad? 

Watkins and Wright's stock seem to have reason during injury. There wasn't one fan who thought they were this important. The only person on the site who decided Watkins was this important was an ICT fan who was swiftly told he was wrong. Several have criticised Wright, even when he was scoring and assisting.

Hedges has been the most creative player this season. This came during the spell the ball was played on the deck. Now we're going long he looks as ineffective as he did last year.

I'm not suggesting I deserve better. Again you're condescending. I'm weighing up whether I can afford to pay for this shit when we're giving our manager a hefty budget for us to fall further behind the Old Firm (expected) without pulling away from the rest.

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

We haven't beaten Celtic, aside from May 2018 when Celtic weren't playing for anything and win for us would stop Sevco finishing second, since February 2016. Therefore, five years ago in three months time. During that time, we've recorded two draws. 

Sevco is better with four wins, three away and one at home. However, we haven't beaten them at home since September 2016.

Given that stats, I doubt any 'bam' thinks we should win every time we play them. 

The performance in the recent Scottish Cup semi final was an example of the loser's mentality we have when we play them. They were there for the taking and we didn't lay a glove on them. 

And, in my opinion, I point the finger of blame for this at our overpaid and comfortable manager who can't seem to motivate his players enough or figure out tactically how to win these big games.

The same is true in Europe for our consistent failure at the 3rd qualifying round. There was an opportunity this season against an unfit Sporting Lisbon team and we were abject. 

An argument could be made that he's gotten the most out of players who aren't that great. If so then we should have been looking to improve on these players.

There are many fans that think we should routinely beat Celtic and Rangers. Take a look at AFC-Chat, Ab-Mad and twitter after any defeat/draw to them.