The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

We can't afford to get rid of McInnes on his wages. However he should be under severe pressure at the moment - his team have underperformed badly in the last month and with Celtic going out, a massive missed opportunity in the League Cup.

Couple that with finishing behind Motherwell and Kilmarnock in the last two seasons and it is difficult to argue that he has underperformed. The football has gone backwards since Watkins got injured and the results have followed performances in going backwards.

McInnes won't be sacked but the support should not accept performances that we have witnessed in the last month, 30 minutes v Hibs aside.

When you say “the last month” what you really mean is the last week. Nobody was complaining about the football up until the Rangers game a week ago today. I know that you are trying to make your case sound more plausible by using “the last month” but it really isn’t. No doubt you will use the semi final in your argument, but the reality is that over the 90 minutes plus, it wasn’t a bad performance, but two teams trying to win the game and we  lost out on the day. To dress it up as anything else is called having an agenda.

If you're assessing this season alone, Mcinnes has done nothing worthy of a sacking.  If you take out the two Rangers games (which to my mind we were beaten before a ball was kicked anyway) we've won 8 and drawn 3 out of 12. That's a very solid record. Add in that I've found us significantly;y more entertaining to watch this season. The calls to sack him now seem to be an understandable reaction to a very poor cup exit and a long standing dislike/boredom of the man. Two things that I'd hope the board wouldn't be influenced by.

We all recognise last season/couple of seasons have been shite so the pressure was on him to make us a) more competitive and b) more entertaining. Over the piece, he has done that so far and he has some justifiable mitigating reasons for the past week. There is no reason to sack him at this point.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you're assessing this season alone, Mcinnes has done nothing worthy of a sacking.  If you take out the two Rangers games (which to my mind we were beaten before a ball was kicked anyway) we've won 8 and drawn 3 out of 12. That's a very solid record. Add in that I've found us significantly;y more entertaining to watch this season. The calls to sack him now seem to be an understandable reaction to a very poor cup exit and a long standing dislike/boredom of the man. Two things that I'd hope the board wouldn't be influenced by.

We all recognise last season/couple of seasons have been shite so the pressure was on him to make us a) more competitive and b) more entertaining. Over the piece, he has done that so far and he has some justifiable mitigating reasons for the past week. There is no reason to sack him at this point.

McInnes is as far from being sacked as he's ever been, and I'm 100% certain that such a daft notion even won't remotely come into the head of the AFC board. 

It's one of football's great ironies that the longer a manager stays at a club, the greater the pressure on him becomes. Managers have to continually re-invent sides season after season, and they suffer from the natural impatience of your average football fan. 

As you said, McInnes has made us both more competitive and entertaining this season. A couple of inspired signings in McCrorie and Watkins, together with a re-invigorated Scott Wright has seen has playing better football than in any time over the last 4 years or so. 

The last week, due to circumstances beyond McInnes's control, we've been poor. But we'll get better once we have something like a full team back. 

Nothing to see here. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

McInnes is as far from being sacked as he's ever been, and I'm 100% certain that such a daft notion even won't remotely come into the head of the AFC board. 

It's one of football's great ironies that the longer a manager stays at a club, the greater the pressure on him becomes. Managers have to continually re-invent sides season after season, and they suffer from the natural impatience of your average football fan. 

As you said, McInnes has made us both more competitive and entertaining this season. A couple of inspired signings in McCrorie and Watkins, together with a re-invigorated Scott Wright has seen has playing better football than in any time over the last 4 years or so. 

The last week, due to circumstances beyond McInnes's control, we've been poor. But we'll get better once we have something like a full team back. 

Nothing to see here. 

Yes, the only real take from the past week is that the squad depth isn't as brilliant as we thought, particularly in midfield.

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Nothing to see here. 

This is far too balanced.

If you posted this on mainstream social media, some of the seething messes on there would soon have you down as a "happy clapper".

7 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

He has already turned down Sunderland for being a complete shambles, considering they are even more of a mess now than then, this won’t happen.

You'd have to be desperate, or wanting a payoff in a few months, to take that Sunderland job. Jack Ross wasn't amazing at Sunderland but started to turn them round and it still wasn't good enough.. Parkinson couldn't improve them after that. After rejecting it before McInnes will be wary of wrong club, wrong time- even if he was thinking of a new challenge you don't think you'd pick that one.  

McInnes has earned the right to leave on his own terms IMO and I think he'll leave at the end of his current contract.

It's a strange position for him though as I don't think his stock is as high as it was and can't see him getting a significantly bigger club now.

Maybe if Gerrard left Rangers and it aligned well with McInnes leaving Aberdeen at the same time then he'd probably end up there.

On 28/11/2020 at 22:10, RandomGuy. said:

Yes.

I'm not claiming Davidson is a better manager, or will even be a success for us, but the football under TW had become an absolute slog to watch, and it often felt like the whole idea was simply to counter our opponents plans.

I'd actually argue that our nicest football under TW took place during his last few months in charge. The first lockdown came at an inconvenient time for us. However, looking back in hindsight, it now appears that TW knew he was leaving at that point. He possibly adopted the attractive new style (which was uncharacteristic for him) in preparation for a new era.

I’m not advocating for Derek to be sacked FWIW

I don’t think it should or will happen. Would be financial negligence for one thing.

It is possible to be appreciative of what he’s done at the club and still feel we could do with a change of pace.

We are ready for a change, his contract is probably a year too long as parting ways at the end of this season may have been ideal but hey ho, he’s probably here until 2022

I’ve made my peace with that and ‘McInnes Out’ bores on SM who spout shite every time  we concede a corner should do that as well.

We have an interesting run of fixtures in December, all very winnable but some real banana skins as well

He really needs a good December to give us momentum for the final part of the season 

When you say “the last month” what you really mean is the last week. Nobody was complaining about the football up until the Rangers game a week ago today. I know that you are trying to make your case sound more plausible by using “the last month” but it really isn’t. No doubt you will use the semi final in your argument, but the reality is that over the 90 minutes plus, it wasn’t a bad performance, but two teams trying to win the game and we  lost out on the day. To dress it up as anything else is called having an agenda.

Perhaps disingenuous of me to use month when in reality a big chunk was taken up by the national team but equally it's not an agenda to be unhappy with things. The semi, we did alright but struggled to create much clear cut, which have seen a number of times over the years at Hampden.

All I am saying is that we have underperformed over the last two years and given what DM is getting paid, I expect better than what has been served up in recent times.

Mitigating circumstances are that we are without a lot of key players so I accept that and I accept being hugely annoyed by the missed opportunity. However I am worried about the failure to adapt to the loss of Watkins and the abject nature of the last week in terms of surrendering too easily.

I don't think it is unfair to expect better given the resources at our disposal.

Remain ever hopeful and thankfully having removed myself from twitter, I am glad to have missed some no doubt heavy and unwarranted abuse dished out there.

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think Derek McInnes is about as likely as Neil Lennon to be the next Rangers manager. 

Yeah, he’s totally burned his bridges on that one given the manner he so publicly (deliciously) rejected them last time. 

I think he will head at the end of his contract, I don’t see him getting sacked (nor would he deserve to be) unless things went dramatically tits up and we were floating about the end of the table normally occupied by Hearts. However, I can’t see Cormack offering him a contract extension, and think both sides could benefit from a bit of a freshening up.

He 100% deserves criticism for the cup game at the weekend. However, some of the abuse for the game away to them is fairly hysterical, it went the only way it would ever go given the circumstances.

It isn't going to happen, as much as I want it to. 

Don't agree with comments regarding him being daft to take it. We weren't exactly in a brilliant position when he took over us. 

I bet he's thought about it again though.  All he'd have to do is nurse his way into the play offs. My Sunderland supporting colleague has said they've got half their squad OOC in the summer. Perfect opportunity to bring in a large number of players he would want. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Change of subject here, but there's a lovely article on afc.co.uk about Bobby Wishart, the last surviving member of the 1955 championship winning team who has now sadly passed away. 

Different days indeed. It's an engrossing read though. RIP Bobby. 

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/12/03/in-memoriam-bobby-wishart/?utm_source=Aberdeen+FC&utm_campaign=5a74afc9a2-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_12_04_09_49&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_697f4dd8c9-5a74afc9a2-89733951

I couldn't care less if this is classed as an overreaction but I found it very hard to explain to my wife why I needed to pay for three season tickets to watch games I could stream for free and also become an AberDNA member.

Unless things take a drastic turn then it's a decision I won't be needing to make next season.

42 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I couldn't care less if this is classed as an overreaction but I found it very hard to explain to my wife why I needed to pay for three season tickets to watch games I could stream for free and also become an AberDNA member.

Unless things take a drastic turn then it's a decision I won't be needing to make next season.

We’ve had a bad fortnight after a strong start to the season. some worrying signs but you’re hitting the outrage button way too early I’m afraid.