The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As it stands at this moment, Rangers are head and shoulders above everyone else in the league. Even with out strongest side, we'd do very well to get something out of this sadly. 

They should get you in the dressing room to deliver the final team talk just before kick off. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, DrewDon said:

They should get you in the dressing room to deliver the final team talk just before kick off. 

I wondered who would be first. 😅

I'm not saying we can't beat them, but there's nothing I said in my post which is factually incorrect I'm afraid. 

4 minutes ago, d31 said:

I agree on chucking another body in central midfield. Poor Scott Wright sacrificed again. 

I don’t think that he can leave Wright out, and don’t think he will. He will stick with Hedges, Wright and Cosgrove, injuries allowing. 

Had a cracking chat with the recently retired Grey Tansey about his time at Inverness Caley, Aberdeen and St. Mirren.

Really good in-depth chat about the mental health struggles that came with his niggling injuries. Really nice lad and hopefully something you can enjoy.

https://whatthefalkpod.podbean.com/e/what-the-falk-podcast-greg-tansey-success-at-inverness-aberdeen-nightmare-stockport-county-upbringing/

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I don’t think that he can leave Wright out, and don’t think he will. He will stick with Hedges, Wright and Cosgrove, injuries allowing. 

It would be brave to go with a two man midfield including the invisible Ojo

Lewis

Taylor Hoban Considine

Mclennan/Kennedy Ferguson Leigh Hayes

Hedges Wright

Cosgrove

Don't think the two in centre mid is that brave. This formation is capable of being very solid. It is flexible, the 4 can become very narrow and Hedges/Wright are both capable of dropping in and helping out when it's needed. The reason Leigh wasn't great there last season was because you were probably looking for him (and Vyner) to produce some more creativity. In this shape, Leigh can focus on being combative, hard working and then let the creative players go to work.

No reason why we can't go and take at least a point. Obviously takes a bit of luck in places but I absolutely believe in this team.

I don't rule out getting gubbed, though.

5 minutes ago, scottorae said:

Got to play Ojo. Last chance stuff

I remember a couple of games last season Ojo looked to be hitting his stride and he looked like he might be good enough. If i remember rightly he was just holding the ball up to let more creative players get upfield. I'm starting to think that I might have imagined the whole thing. 

He has been better than a whole parade of low budget punts in midfield though: Gleeson, Forrester, Tansey and a couple more. 

It probably says a lot that i'd be happier if we still had Dom Ball

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

I remember a couple of games last season Ojo looked to be hitting his stride and he looked like he might be good enough. If i remember rightly he was just holding the ball up to let more creative players get upfield. I'm starting to think that I might have imagined the whole thing. 

He has been better than a whole parade of low budget punts in midfield though: Gleeson, Forrester, Tansey and a couple more. 

It probably says a lot that i'd be happier if we still had Dom Ball

You're right, he was filling the rat shaped hole playing a very similar role. Cutting off passing lanes, picking up stray balls, and turning possession over to McLean, Hayes, McGinn etc. In a few matches late last season he was doing so just as well as the rat.

Unfortunately he's looked garbage this season.

I think Ojo does play at Ibrox as there are very little other options.

I still remain confused to why he has been so poor this season.

He was particularly poor in the undercooked performance vs Sevco on Day 1, but unlike others, has shown little sign of improvement in his other fleeting appearances and is now prime scapegoat amongst many of our supporters.

He genuinely looked a decent player when he got a run of games last season.
Let’s hope Saturday is his time, as we will need everyone left standing to be on their game to get out of there with something.

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I think Ojo does play at Ibrox as there are very little other options.

I still remain confused to why he has been so poor this season.

He was particularly poor in the undercooked performance vs Sevco on Day 1, but unlike others, has shown little sign of improvement in his other fleeting appearances and is now prime scapegoat amongst many of our supporters.

He genuinely looked a decent player when he got a run of games last season.
Let’s hope Saturday is his time, as we will need everyone left standing to be on their game to get out of there with something.

I suspect it's because we've changed to a much more dynamic 3-5-2/5-3-2 system. Ojo doesn't fit in. He's not a defender, and he's not a box to box midfielder like Ferguson or McCrorie. He's not even a good tackler for a defensive midfielder, he invariably gives away stupid free kicks. 

He's been surpassed by McGeough, who is a much better all-round footballer. 

He was signed at a point where we desperately needed a defensive midfielder to sit in front of a back 4, but we've moved on from that. Time for him to move on as well.