The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Only in Scotland would someone who scored 23 goals in a season be labelled as terrible and their replacement who current form suggests might be lucky to get much more than half a dozen goals in the season is actually far better.

I apologise a bit, in that my opinion isn’t balanced due to the fact he’s just not my type of player.

However the football style was garbage when he played and has improved without him and apart from 2/3 games this season the results have been good as well.

Starts on Sunday and back to poor performance. 
Celtic were missing Ajer and Julien, 2 big money centre half’s and Brown is past his best. What a chance to get at them and well, I don’t need to say anymore.

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Some of the build up play has been better without him but we've had nobody near the centre of the goals to put the thing in the net.

There's a balance.

The league game against Celtic before Cosgrove came on we were doing that thing again where there were 4 or 5 players exchanging short passes at the side of the 18 yard box with only a single body in the box, just sort of wandering about. Cosgrove gives a target for crosses and makes disruptive runs. He probably missed more chances against celtic than we had total shots in some games. But a missed chance is closer to scoring than not shooting. 

20 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The league game against Celtic before Cosgrove came on we were doing that thing again where there were 4 or 5 players exchanging short passes at the side of the 18 yard box with only a single body in the box, just sort of wandering about. Cosgrove gives a target for crosses and makes disruptive runs. He probably missed more chances against celtic than we had total shots in some games. But a missed chance is closer to scoring than not shooting. 

Yeah agreed.

Watkins has done a  very good job. It was nice to see a striker turn and run at someone or look to go in behind but as you say too often he is outside the box. Sometimes you just need a presence to create space for the onrushing midfield.

With Watkins now out for eight weeks, I’m really disappointed  that no retrospective action was taken against Brown for the flying Kung Fu challenge that injured him. How anyone can watch Brown flying through the air totally out of control and flatten Watkins and not think that is a red card mystifies me. Scott McKenna received a retrospective red card a couple of years ago for a challenge that the referee saw, but because it was a challenge that put the opposition player out of the match , he got the red card the following week.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

With Watkins now out for eight weeks, I’m really disappointed  that no retrospective action was taken against Brown for the flying Kung Fu challenge that injured him. How anyone can watch Brown flying through the air totally out of control and flatten Watkins and not think that is a red card mystifies me. Scott McKenna received a retrospective red card a couple of years ago for a challenge that the referee saw, but because it was a challenge that put the opposition player out of the match , he got the red card the following week.

Doesn't help that it's his hamstring and he's a player who uses his running power to great effect.

I'm guessing that might be the end of Watkins at Aberdeen. McInnes suggests that he'll be out until his loan deal expires.

With it less and less likely to see significant crowds anytime soon, would the budget have to be looked at again? And freeing up his wage seems the easiest move (aside from any bid for Cosgrove).

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

...or more accurately, because Rodgers whinged to the media about it after the match. see link below

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/09/29/celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-slams-reckless-scott-mckenna/

Now, whether Derek doing similar would have made any difference is debatable - but this comes a week after the 'accidental' forearm smash in the Pittodrie game predictably went unpunished.  

7 hours ago, tarapoa said:

...or more accurately, because Rodgers whinged to the media about it after the match. see link below

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/09/29/celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-slams-reckless-scott-mckenna/

Now, whether Derek doing similar would have made any difference is debatable - but this comes a week after the 'accidental' forearm smash in the Pittodrie game predictably went unpunished.  

We have more class.

The annoying thing about our match against Celtic is that, with someone in our side on Sunday that could have finished our chances, we could have had a similar score line as tonight’s. If Motherwell have a goalscorer in their team on Sunday, they will win.

8 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

I'm guessing that might be the end of Watkins at Aberdeen. McInnes suggests that he'll be out until his loan deal expires.

With it less and less likely to see significant crowds anytime soon, would the budget have to be looked at again? And freeing up his wage seems the easiest move (aside from any bid for Cosgrove).

I’d hope/expect that we’ll try and extend his loan until the end of the season at a minimum (though the budget situation may be an issue). He didn’t seem to be in the picture for Bristol very much last season only playing 10 games or so, as far as I can tell, so hopefully they’d be fairly flexible with him.

3 hours ago, d31 said:

What a fantastic start to the league season

We are unlucky rangers and celtic (no laughing at the back please) have had such good starts to the season.

We missed a big chance first game of season at home. Poor performance.

Same in semi final otherwise a great start. Motherwell game just 1 of those days.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're a CB and RB away from a title challenge.

Best squad in McInnes' tenure and its not even close.

I would guess we'll address the CB position in January. It should have been deadline day really.

We'll probably still try to work away with one of the existing squad to find a home at RWB in the short term

Guest Bob Mahelp

I think we missed Watkins last night. Cosgrove scored a good goal but his link up play was non-existent, and it allowed Hibs to get more of the ball than they should have.

I'd like to see us try and sign him permanently, he's made a huge difference to the team over the last few months.