The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

How many substitutions are allowed in the cup game next weekend? 

If it's 5, would definitely aim for the Watkins / Wright splitting the game (with Watkins knowing he only has an hour, and can play accordingly).

I’ve no idea, but I would imagine it would be played under last season’s sub rules, seeing as it’s last season’s competition. I’m sure that will be clarified in the next few days.

I would have put on Cosgrove for Edmondson at half time which would have still left us with two stoppages for up to 3 subs in the second half.

It's a real headache for the starting team next week.

I think Taylor is the safest one of those mentioned above. We are not going to change him for this game. I think Taylor gets the next two games regardless.

Right wing back is it McLennan, McCrorie or Kennedy?

Up front is it Watkins, Edmondson or Cosgrove?

In behind is it Hedges/Wright, Hedges/Watkins or Watkins/Wright.

The likes of Kennedy and McGinn not even getting a near look in for consideration for the two in behind striker due to the great form of Wright, Watkins and Hedges.

1 hour ago, d31 said:

I would have put on Cosgrove for Edmondson at half time which would have still left us with two stoppages for up to 3 subs in the second half.

It's a real headache for the starting team next week.

I think Taylor is the safest one of those mentioned above. We are not going to change him for this game. I think Taylor gets the next two games regardless.

Right wing back is it McLennan, McCrorie or Kennedy?

Up front is it Watkins, Edmondson or Cosgrove?

In behind is it Hedges/Wright, Hedges/Watkins or Watkins/Wright.

The likes of Kennedy and McGinn not even getting a near look in for consideration for the two in behind striker due to the great form of Wright, Watkins and Hedges.

That's a big gamble though. Cosgrove could have been struggling big time by the end.

McCrorie in the middle for me. Especially with no McGeouch.

I think it will be Watkins and Hedges with Cosgrove, provided Watkins is fit. Wright could understandably be a bit disappointed about being left out if he doesn't start, though. If Watkins isn't 100%, I would be completely fine with Wright starting and he kind of deserves to start anyway. 

It has to be McCrorie in the middle if McGeouch is out. 

I'd like Kennedy at right wing-back, but it would be a risk given how long he has gone without minutes. McLennan probably did just about enough yesterday to make a case for starting. I suppose Logan is the other option, but I'm not sure whether he has the legs now to perform the role McInnes expects of his wing-backs. 

Edited by DrewDon

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

McLennan probably did just about enough yesterday to make a case for starting. I suppose Logan is the other option, but I'm not sure whether he has the legs now to perform the role McInnes expects of his wing-backs. 

I think McLennan is another one that looks more suited to this formation, and has made a good impression in recent weeks after being in danger of being a tad forgotten and peripheral.

He's been overshadowed by Ferguson, McCrorie and now Wright in the great young prospect stakes - but I've been impressed with Connor since he came into the side, and he has to be a candidate to start on Sunday, provided McInnes trusts him to get his $hit together defensively.

32 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I think McLennan is another one that looks more suited to this formation, and has made a good impression in recent weeks after being in danger of being a tad forgotten and peripheral.

He's been overshadowed by Ferguson, McCrorie and now Wright in the great young prospect stakes - but I've been impressed with Connor since he came into the side, and he has to be a candidate to start on Sunday, provided McInnes trusts him to get his $hit together defensively.

McLennan was our most productive winger in 18/19. I really didn't understand why McInnes seemed so reticent to give him game time last season. Both he and Wright are out of contract next summer. We better have contract extensions in front of both already!

40 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

McLennan was our most productive winger in 18/19. I really didn't understand why McInnes seemed so reticent to give him game time last season. Both he and Wright are out of contract next summer. We better have contract extensions in front of both already!

I think both will sign extensions (3 year deals). Wright has only just come back to playing football after quite a lengthy time out. 

I'd argue the youth prospects in recent years are significantly better then what we've had since probably the mid 90s.

It'll be fantastic if the executive decide to continue with the 25 man squad. I think it's fantastic for us with the competition for places and still putting out a good side when a handful of players were injured a few weeks back.

If we are going forward with that size of squad then doubly so it's a no brainer to get Wright and McLennan on extended deals.