The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Loved Ebbe's stint at Aberdeen and he brought through some cracking players even if the results didn't match up. Peter Kjaer is a massively underappreciated keeper!

I wasn't a fan of that corner routine he had you doing that was apparently incredibly ineffective but always ended with a goal against Dundee.

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Good to see Cosgrove back. Doesn't press with the same intensity as Edmondson or Watkins but he was a presence in the box and we've been lacking that.

Derek got it spot on today for the most part.

I thought Cosgrove was much more effective than Edmondson today. Edmondson ran about and worked hard, but Cosgrove's link play was encouraging and he was more of a goal threat, playing an important part in the second goal and should have really made it 3-3 before the penalty was given. More of a presence too, as you say. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I thought Cosgrove was much more effective than Edmondson today. Edmondson ran about and worked hard, but Cosgrove's link play was encouraging and he was more of a goal threat, playing an important part in the second goal and should have really made it 3-3 before the penalty was given. More of a presence too, as you say. 

Without wanting to sound overly critical of Watkins and Edmondson, he was there in the box for the ball. Led to two of the goals and should have led to another.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Without wanting to sound overly critical of Watkins and Edmondson, he was there in the box for the ball. Led to two of the goals and should have led to another.

I think Cosgrove and Watkins could quite easily fit into the same team, which is encouraging. I suppose there's only then room for one of Wright or Hedges in the current formation, unless Hedges plays as a wing-back, where he doesn't have as much influence further up the pitch. Good dilemma for McInnes to have, I suppose. 

Good to see Cosgrove back. Doesn't press with the same intensity as Edmondson or Watkins but he was a presence in the box and we've been lacking that.
Derek got it spot on today for the most part.

Putting on two subs in two minutes and therefore using up our substitute entitlement wasn’t his best move, and not for the first time this season struggling to make best use of the new sub rules.

15 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Putting on two subs in two minutes and therefore using up our substitute entitlement wasn’t his best move, and not for the first time this season struggling to make best use of the new sub rules.

I did say for the most part.

Intrigued to hear what other subs he should have made though...

I know he sometimes gets a bit of unfair stick, but I think Taylor is a bit of a concern for Hampden - he did well enough in the first half today, but some of his weaknesses were exposed at the McGregor and Griffiths goals. I wonder if Logan would work on the right of a three and allow Hoban to move into the middle. I suppose you are then sacrificing some height and presence, though. 

I know he sometimes gets a bit of unfair stick, but I think Taylor is a bit of a concern for Hampden - he did well enough in the first half today, but some of his weaknesses were exposed at the McGregor and Griffiths goals. I wonder if Logan would work on the right of a three and allow Hoban to move into the middle. I suppose you are then sacrificing some height and presence, though. 

For Taylor for Aberdeen read Duffy for Celtic, difference being Celtic will be able to bring in a decent replacement.

7 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Both young centre midfielders were on bookings by that point so giving yourself options and flexibility to cover any red cards picked up would be obvious.

Bit strange to dig him out for that. Both young midfielders had fine games and we may not have drawn if we'd removed one for Ojo.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I think Cosgrove and Watkins could quite easily fit into the same team, which is encouraging. I suppose there's only then room for one of Wright or Hedges in the current formation, unless Hedges plays as a wing-back, where he doesn't have as much influence further up the pitch. Good dilemma for McInnes to have, I suppose. 

Happy to have Watkins run himself into the ground for an hour before Wright comes on every week if it works like it did today. 

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

All three subs came on for injured players.

Aye, but he could have delayed the Wright for Watkins sub a couple of minutes given Edmondsen had just been clattered head first into a wall and was likely about to need subbed too. Had he done that and stuck Wright and Cosgrove on at the same time, he would have had one more chance to change a couple of players later on if needed. Given that was at the 60 minute mark, it could have easily ended up being a huge mistake had a player got injured between then and FT.

We've (for the first time in ages) the squad depth where we could actually use 5 players from the bench and not weaken the XI. Derek hasn't been the best at using the new 5 subs total but during 3 occasions rule and today it could have cost us. Appreciate it didn't and this is all ifs and buts though.