The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's becoming increasingly obvious that, while we're playing some really good attacking football from time to time, we're having large periods in almost every game where the whole team goes missing. 

Teams that race into a big lead often have a bit of a drop off................also our opponents last night are unusual, in that instead of damage limitation at that point, they just keep going - as their three last fixtures have showed.

Last night was fine................the biggest concern from it will be if Hayes misses the semi-final (have already written him off for Sunday).  The balance of the team in this formation both left vs right and attacking vs defensive is hugely dependent on Hayes at this time.............he leaves a bigger hole to fill than any other outfield player right now. 

Hearing he wasn't cup-tied was a huge boost, so may the groin injury be trivial.

36 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Teams that race into a big lead often have a bit of a drop off................also our opponents last night are unusual, in that instead of damage limitation at that point, they just keep going - as their three last fixtures have showed.

Last night was fine................the biggest concern from it will be if Hayes misses the semi-final (have already written him off for Sunday).  The balance of the team in this formation both left vs right and attacking vs defensive is hugely dependent on Hayes at this time.............he leaves a bigger hole to fill than any other outfield player right now. 

Hearing he wasn't cup-tied was a huge boost, so may the groin injury be trivial.

Yeah. Although it may be ok using Hedges. I don't think we look as good with him at RWB as he is constantly cutting in. We did score heaps agaonst Hamilton and Ross County with him there though!

Leigh can fill that void when fully fit. Unfortunately this injury to Hayes has come too early for him.

I think we will stick with a back three, but it might be more of a 3-5-2 to match up Celtic as Lennon seems fairly wedded to that formation now. McGeouch will hopefully play with McCrorie and Ferguson to give us a bit more control in midfield and somebody in there who looks after the ball a bit more. 

Could be Kennedy and McLennan as wing backs.

Running power is vital for that role and they have it, as does Hayes.
I like McLennan at RWB, might be his best position. 
Would put Hedges playing up with Watkins.

Got a feeling Wright will get dropped and Mcgeouch will play with Ferguson and McCrorie to make the team more solid. ( I would say cautious)

Aye, agree with what’s said above. 

Lewis

Hoban Taylor Considine

Logan Ferguson McGeouch McCrorie (LWB)

Hedges Watkins

the LWB slot is the only one up for grabs IMO. McLennan is possibly the natural fit, and Logan can tuck in and make it closer to a conventional back 4 with Considine moving over to cover McLennan’s forays forward. Ideally it’d be Leigh, but as others have said, could be too early for a start. 

if Hayes is even a 10% doubt, rest him. Save him for the semi if he has a chance.

6 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Aye, agree with what’s said above. 

Lewis

Hoban Taylor Considine

Logan Ferguson McGeouch McCrorie (LWB)

Hedges Watkins

the LWB slot is the only one up for grabs IMO. McLennan is possibly the natural fit, and Logan can tuck in and make it closer to a conventional back 4 with Considine moving over to cover McLennan’s forays forward. Ideally it’d be Leigh, but as others have said, could be too early for a start. 

if Hayes is even a 10% doubt, rest him. Save him for the semi if he has a chance.

Had to read that twice as I thought you were suggesting McCrorie for LWB! That would be Calderwood-esque levels of tombola-ry.

I wouldn't usually want Logan at wing-back because I don't think he has the legs for that role nowadays, especially in a 3-5-2 where he would virtually be the only player offering width down that side, but I suppose I could understand the tactical reasons for it against Celtic. I probably would still prefer Kennedy if he is fit enough to start, though.

Yesterdays bench didn't even include Dean Campbell, Main, Hernandez, Devlin or Cerny.

Whether it is this coming January or next summer I'd like to see Main, Cerny, Logan, Ojo, Anderson, Devlin and Taylor all leave. We've moved on beyond these guys.

I'd hope McGinn and Considine are kept for 1 more year. Sell Cosgrove (3 million) and loan Dean Campbell out for a season depending on where he's at with his development.

Sign Hoban, Watkins, Edmundson, Leigh, Woods all on 2-3 year deals. Dream of signing Allan Campbell, Declan Gallagher and Findlay.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

12 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

The cynic in me would say they are desperate to get fans in the door because the corporate aspect is a major earner for the club. That will be the next stage after fan entry I'd imagine. He'll know his stuff as that's one of the aspects we've done well as a club over the years. Even if the oil industry is on our doorstep.

I'm certain we've sold more season tickets than previous seasons and I'd wager we're getting more away tickets sold than usual (ignore the ugly sister games which will be on Sky. That will be a big hit).

We also don't have to pay the policing costs etc that we'd usually have to cover on a match day.

I'd be fascinated to know what sort of 'attendances' we are getting at the moment. 

How many home, away and neutral fans did we get last night?

1 minute ago, d31 said:

I'd be fascinated to know what sort of 'attendances' we are getting at the moment. 

How many home, away and neutral fans did we get last night?

I'd imagine zero neutrals but more Hamilton fans than we'd usually get on a Wednesday night.

I'm pretty sure they had around 50 fans the night they deservedly beat us at Pittodrie with their fat striker scoring a van Bastenesque volley.

Team without Hayes?

If he is true to his word that Leigh, Kennedy, Devlin and Cosgrove wont start then I'd guess he'll just stick with Hedges and McLennan wide.

I don't think we'll go extra defensive all of a sudden given we play them the following week.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Yesterdays bench didn't even include Dean Campbell, Main, Hernandez, Devlin or Cerny.

Whether it is this coming January or next summer I'd like to see Main, Cerny, Logan, Ojo, Anderson, Devlin and Taylor all leave. We've moved on beyond these guys.

I'd hope McGinn and Considine are kept for 1 more year. Sell Cosgrove (3 million) and loan Dean Campbell out for a season depending on where he's at with his development.

Sign Hoban, Watkins, Edmundson, Leigh, Woods all on 2-3 year deals. Dream of signing Allan Campbell, Declan Gallagher and Findlay.

You surely don't want to get rid of Tomas cerny? He's about the best back up keeper you could ask for, and one of the best keepers we've had at the club in the last couple of decades.

I'd love to see Leigh, Edmundson, Hoban and Watkins all sign extensions though and I agree about Campbell going out on loan, sitting in the stand will do him no good.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd imagine zero neutrals but more Hamilton fans than we'd usually get on a Wednesday night.

I'm pretty sure they had around 50 fans the night they deservedly beat us at Pittodrie with their fat striker scoring a van Bastenesque volley.

Some Scottish Football fans are mentally insane. I'll bet a handful of other fans bought it last night. I agree the away crowd would be slightly bigger than the norm.

No real feeling for how the home tickets are going? Is it going well, ok or disapointing

14 minutes ago, d31 said:

Some Scottish Football fans are mentally insane. I'll bet a handful of other fans bought it last night. I agree the away crowd would be slightly bigger than the norm.

No real feeling for how the home tickets are going? Is it going well, ok or disapointing

No-one I've spoken to who usually doesn't go has bought any of the games.