The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, starryfish said:

How much money would AFC be making having a crowd of 1k? Struggling to see what is in it for them?

They would surely lose money due to the cost of administering and staffing all the protocols that come with it.

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The highlights of their game suggested a similar one-sided spectacle where they somehow contrived not to score.

I think when Cosgrove returns, that Watkins will drop back in and Wright may struggle to keep a starting slot.  It's a shame as Wright has added a lot to our improved style of play this season, but will pay for squandering too many one-on-ones. 

Wright looks pretty impressive whenever I see him (mainly highlights tbf). Why has it never quite happened for him do you think? Too up and down form wise?

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Wright looks pretty impressive whenever I see him (mainly highlights tbf). Why has it never quite happened for him do you think? Too up and down form wise?

A couple of long term injuries and a general lack of confidence. Looks like he's added consistency to his game now.

14 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Would rather the club didn't get the council involved in it for tat political shite.

I agree.

I'm all for these points being made behind closed doors but statements like this smack of playing to the gallery.

I get that Cormack will feel he has to show ST holders he's doing his best (also probably realising he over promised during the summer) but as a ST holder myself, I'm fairly relaxed. I understand the situation we're in, and I was never under any impression I'd be getting value for money this season.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree.

I'm all for these points being made behind closed doors but statements like this smack of playing to the gallery.

I get that Cormack will feel he has to show ST holders he's doing his best (also probably realising he over promised during the summer) but as a ST holder myself, I'm fairly relaxed. I understand the situation we're in, and I was never under any impression I'd be getting value for money this season.

Yip, exactly.

I went as far as also getting AberDNA to help out where I could. Will be thinking twice next time if we're going to continue going down this route.

Don’t see us needing bodies in generally, but we do lack a proper creative centre mid. Not really necessary in this system, but if we go back to a 4-2-3-1 we don’t have a “number 10” as such. Young, and was highly rated at one point. If he’s cheap there’s not really much to lose by taking a punt.

Burt had major injury issues, some kind of problem with his arse. We let him go after that was fixed - he just got overtaken by other youngsters like Josh McPake.

I've no idea why Celtic picked him up to be honest, and I'd be surprised if he did anything for Aberdeen this season. He's a project. Does have talent but he needs a lot of work and you'd need to be sure that he's over those injuries.

There's no way we'll play this 3-4-3 formation against Celtic. Too attack minded and without a key player in Hayes. 

We'll go back to 4-2-3-1 and hoof balls into the channels for Watkins to chase down. 

I'm thinking it will be

Lewis

McCrorie, Taylor, Hoban, Consi

Ferguson, McGeouch/Ojo

Hedges, Wright, McLennan/McGinn

Watkins

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We'll play with a back 3. We did in Lisbon and we will on Sunday.

It will just look more like a back 5 at times.

Potentially but I don't think McInnes would feel comfortable with the WB options. Hayes out, Leigh won't be fit, Logan has hardly featured and Hernandez isn't good enough. I wouldn't be confident in trusting McLennan, Hedges, McGinn to play WB for 90 mins against Celtic. 

Caught a wee bit of the interview with the Aberdeen commercial director last night, they were asking him about the test event they had been knocked back from scot gov over.

He talked a fair bit about how they hadnt asked for thousands of fans to be coming , had only requested 1000 - and then the hope to ramp it up to a few thousand if successful, its all to be out in the fresh air with plenty of distancing etc etc.

Fair enough, lets see what the govt come up with as a response.

What I found odd was when he started saying that you need to start getting footfall in the door for financial reasons, especially when he referenced the stuff Aberdeen do outside football (mental health stuff etc).

I cant remember the numbers, but Aberdeen have a decent number of STs - assuming that the spacing is similar to the last TE at Pittodrie, you couldnt get more than - say - a quarter of the capacity, maybe 5000?

And as all of this will be outdoors for obvious reasons, presumably hospitality is kyboshed too?

So I just dont see where the income stream comes from??

As is usual, of course, the muppets on Sportsound didnt probe this aspect. 

I should say, I am not having a pop I just didnt understand what he was getting at - but as commercial director he must know the script on the cashflows and seemed to know his stuff on other aspects.

Edited by Green Day

2 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Caught a wee bit of the interview with the Aberdeen commercial director last night, they were asking him about the test event they had been knocked back from scot gov over.

He talked a fair bit about how they hadnt asked for thousands of fans to be coming , had only requested 1000 - and then the hope to ramp it up to a few thousand if successful, its all to be out in the fresh air with plenty of distancing etc etc.

What I found odd was when he started saying that you need to start getting footfall in the door for financial reasons, especially when he referenced the stuff Aberdeen do outside football (mental health stuff etc).

I cant remember the numbers, but Aberdeen have a decent number of STs - assuming that the spacing is similar to the last TE at Pittodrie, you couldnt get more than - say - a quarter of the capacity, maybe 5000?

And as all of this will be outdoors for obvious reasons, presumably hospitality is kyboshed too?

I should say, I am not having a pop I just didnt understand what he was getting at - but as commercial director he must know the script on the cashflows and seemed to know his stuff on other aspects.

The cynic in me would say they are desperate to get fans in the door because the corporate aspect is a major earner for the club. That will be the next stage after fan entry I'd imagine. He'll know his stuff as that's one of the aspects we've done well as a club over the years. Even if the oil industry is on our doorstep.

I'm certain we've sold more season tickets than previous seasons and I'd wager we're getting more away tickets sold than usual (ignore the ugly sister games which will be on Sky. That will be a big hit).

We also don't have to pay the policing costs etc that we'd usually have to cover on a match day.

@Merkland Redthanks. So in that case it would be the people who - for a lot of the time at the stadium - are indoors.........which is fair enough if everything that the rest of hospitality need to follow is done.

This was my first thought, and - that being the case - we as fans could then have the bizarre situation where (as with Easter road, let's assume 25% capacity allowed) maybe 4000 ST holders can get there in person due to distancing, but they need to hold back a specific number (let's make it up as 1000) of seats for hospitality.

25 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Must be program sales

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's becoming increasingly obvious that, while we're playing some really good attacking football from time to time, we're having large periods in almost every game where the whole team goes missing. 

That's 3 games in a row where we've been utter shite for at least half a game in combination with a blistering 20 minutes somewhere in between.

I suspect it's around the point where Hedges, Wright and to a lesser extent Watkins, start to drift out of the game and the opposition midfield starts to get a grip. 

I don't know if it's a mental thing, or if it's tiredness, or if the team we're playing work us out, but it would be nice if we could put in a 90 minute performance.