The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

It seemed likely after his contract with NEC Breda was terminated. I'm still not sure where he fits into a 3-4-3, though - he's not going to displace Hayes at wing-back and I don't think he has the defensive nous to play as a centre-back in a three, especially against better opposition. If he's just a squad option then I'm fine with that. 

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I know, but if we’re not able to keep Watkins and Edmonson past January, we obviously have to keep Main and Anderson.

Could loan out Anderson till January to guarantee him first team game time though. Do we really need to run with 5 strikers up until January?

35 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It seemed likely after his contract with NEC Breda was terminated. I'm still not sure where he fits into a 3-4-3, though - he's not going to displace Hayes at wing-back and I don't think he has the defensive nous to play as a centre-back in a three, especially against better opposition. If he's just a squad option then I'm fine with that. 

I think the back three helps him out if we're worried how well he defends.

Our problems with the back three since McKenna left have been down to Consi and Taylors lack of ability on the ball along with their pace.  Leigh can help with taking the ball up the park 

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think the back three helps him out if we're worried how well he defends.

Our problems with the back three since McKenna left have been down to Consi and Taylors lack of ability on the ball along with their pace.  Leigh can help with taking the ball up the park 

I remember having concerns about his positional sense and his reading of the game - I can faintly recall a few goals where he just seemed to switch off too easily and didn't track runners properly, or was just posted missing. The back three with a very good wing-back in Hayes might give him a bit more protection, but I'm still sceptical. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong if he does play there, mind - certainly wouldn't be the first time. 

Greg Leigh was one of our best performers last season prior to injury. He's a good player at this level (not exceptional) who can cover a number of positions.

Apart from The Rangers or Celtic, just compare Greg Leigh to what the rest of the league have at left back.

I'd much rather have Greg Leigh over Lewis Stevenson, Doig, Jake Carroll, Calum Waters, Julian Serrano, Adrian Sporle, Jamie Robson, Scott Tanser etc.

Leigh is a great squad option if he's coming in for free. I wouldn't have paid a fee for him to be our first choice LB but in these circumstances I'm up for it.

He's not displacing Hayes at WB so don't think we need to worry much there. He could definitely play left of a 3 and provide a threat offensively from there starting attacks.

Also gives us more flexibility to play a back 4 if we feel the need to change throughout the season.

He also seems like a very likeable c**t.

Get him in.

As we saw at times on Friday night Hoban was our most effective attacker and seemed to get the ball deep and wide often in the Saints half. I’d be more confident in Greg Leigh’s ability in the oppositions final third though he obviously isn’t a patch on Hoban defensively

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

As we saw at times on Friday night Hoban was our most effective attacker and seemed to get the ball deep and wide often in the Saints half. I’d be more confident in Greg Leigh’s ability in the oppositions final third though he obviously isn’t a patch on Hoban defensively

I reckon he could fit into a back 3 quite well. Hoban will be there talking him through it and he's got good pace to cover as well as bringing  the ball out from the back. I'd be quite happy with him signing.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Leigh is a great squad option if he's coming in for free. I wouldn't have paid a fee for him to be our first choice LB but in these circumstances I'm up for it.

He's not displacing Hayes at WB so don't think we need to worry much there. He could definitely play left of a 3 and provide a threat offensively from there starting attacks.

Also gives us more flexibility to play a back 4 if we feel the need to change throughout the season.

He also seems like a very likeable c**t.

Get him in.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel about it. Good cover for Hayes too if required. I'd prefer him to Jonny at left back if it came down to it but Hayes is deadly on the wing when he gets to start that 20 yards deeper.

As others have said look at most other left back options in the league (although I think he was a bit harsh on Doig and Robson).

If we had capacity for one last signing I'd have hoped for a new first pick centre back as I worry about the quality after Hoban and also the succession planning of how much longer Taylor, Devlin and Consi are in the team or squad.

Just now, d31 said:

If we had capacity for one last signing I'd have hoped for a new first pick centre back as I worry about the quality after Hoban and also the succession planning of how much longer Taylor, Devlin and Consi are in the team or squad.

A centre back who is good on the ball is going to cost a lot more than a good left back who would do a job in a back three though.

I love Consi but time and time again this season he's starting to get caught on the ball. Teams are forcing us to our left side. He's solid defensively but he could really cost us when we're trying to play out.

13 minutes ago, scottorae said:

Leigh signing gives a load of flexibility to the squad, including allowing to play Hayes elsewhere

According to twitter we are signing Leigh to play CM to push McCrorie in to centre back.

Can you imagine some of these people trying to complete a jig saw puzzle?