The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

36 minutes ago, CHOW87 said:

McKenna not in the Forest squad today. Maybe he’ll be available on loan.

Going to be shit for Scotland if his injury is serious enough to keep him out. Seriously lacking in options right now.

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Would be happy to cash in on Cosgrove to be honest 

100% for me and would be happy to 'risk' running with Watkins, Edmondson, Main and Anderson until January but longer term we'd need to find a goalscorer

4 minutes ago, d31 said:

100% for me and would be happy to 'risk' running with Watkins, Edmondson, Main and Anderson until January but longer term we'd need to find a goalscorer

I agree, maybe even put Anderson on loan as well as he isn’t going to improve the way things are just now.

Ojo just isn't good enough for us and can leave. Same applies to Main (Wasn't on the bench again last night). If those two left it would make sense keeping Dean Campbell and Bruce Anderson for backup.
McGeouch is a very good player and has been unfortunate not to start. He's done very well when played.

Main is injured hence why he wasn’t available last night

3 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

"New striker would give St Johnstone a different dimension, says Craig Conway"

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Main is injured hence why he wasn’t available last night

St Johnstone signing an Aberdeen player with injury issues?

Don't be ridiculous. 

We're not going to get good value for Cosgrove until he comes back in and scores goals again imo.

I like Scotty Wright, and really want him to do well, but he still has weaknesses to his game. Ultimately, for all the times he's looked really neat and drives at the opposition, he's not producing that for 90 minutes nor actually coming up with much of an end product. I think Cosgrove will have to earn his position in the team again, but if we were to drop someone to get Cosgrove back in, it'd be Wright for me. I think we can trust Watkins to be more consistent in the no.10 role than Wright.

That said, I've been saying for a while now that McInnes needs to trust Wright and give him an extended run of starts. So I'm being a bit confused. I just feel the best way to keep Watkins' excellent contribution to our build up play (and hopefully his recent goal-scoring exploits), and get Cosgrove's goal-scoring knack into the team is by...having them both in the team. Can't drop Hedges, and there's absolutely no way Wright can be trusted at RWB.

I don't think the defensive abilities of our RWB is too important against most clubs in this league, especially given Hoban is such a fucking sexy defender. It still doesn't feel right having McGinn or potentially Wright there. Kennedy did surprisingly well there, but in fairness wasn't really tested too much. I think we need Hernandez to step up and show that he can produce, because on paper he should be first choice in that role.

Against Celtic I think we'll see the Catenaccio style we saw against Sporting, with McGeouch coming in to create two banks of three, and thus the RWB role becomes a right winger. Then we may well see McLennan come in.

Guest Bob Mahelp
33 minutes ago, scottorae said:

Scott Wright needs persevered with, not dropped. Has been excellent this season in general.

Wright has been excellent compared to the very poor performances he's put in over the last few years, but Illgresi's point is still valid that he drifts in and out of games.

The way we're set up just now suits him, and the form of Watkins and Hedges means that we can afford to have Wright in the team, but he still needs to offer more in the way of goals and creating chances for others. Maybe with a run of games, it'll come. 

And unfortunately, he's still too lightweight. A wee ankle or foot knock and that's him hiding for 15 to 20 minutes. He desperately needs to harden up. 

34 minutes ago, scottorae said:

My fear with Wright is that is a vicious cycle. You need to keep giving him games right now to keep his confidence up. The games up if after a strong start to the season we dump him on the bench and he is reduced to 15 minutes here and there

He's actually had a number of the 8 McInnes seasons where he has started the season firmly in the picture and faded to not even making the bench before too long.

He's 100% worth a contract extension though

Guest Bob Mahelp
28 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

No chance it's the same boy who was on loan last season, his first touch actually controls the ball rather than sending it 30 yards ahead...

Stephen Glass bringing out the best in him.

Nope, I didn't realise he was head coach at Atlanta United either.

29 minutes ago, BodDon said:

What's everyone thinking for the transfer action tomorrow? Leigh in? Anderson, Campbell and a couple more youngsters out?

I'm sticking with an earlier prediction. Ball playing cb, stand out youngster in scottish premier, xferred to England now not getting a game. 

20 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'm sticking with an earlier prediction. Ball playing cb, stand out youngster in scottish premier, xferred to England now not getting a game. 

We've to guess the name?