The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

53 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I'm a Polworth fan but this is an absolutely wild claim.

So my comment was based on what I had read in the team of the season and some of the opinions on the Motherwell season thread of last year. I've included some quotes (there are a quite a few in line with this sentiment) from Pie and Bovril regarding Polworth. One of them from you. This indicates to me that he is a very good player and that some  appear to be of the opinion he is good enough to play for any team in Scotland. Interestingly, Liam Polworth's father was Alex Ferguson's last signing as Aberdeen's manager.

"...Were the majority ofPolworth 's "2nd highest number of assists in the league" not like...from set pieces?"

"There is absolutely no question thatPolworth  is on the same planet as Turnbull."

"CM - Liam Polworth: Brilliant player, I absolutely love him and have done for years. Folk rave about Scott Allan's ability to pick out a pass, but Polworth is comfortably the best in the country and sliding strikers in with a through ball. Give him a clinical strikeforce and he'd bag 15+ assists easily IMO."

"Polworth and Christie, to the surprise of absolutely no one, are two of the best footballers in this country and should stroll, with the cigars out like they usually have, into any team of the season."

"Finally someone else seeing thatPolworth  is better than Allan."
Edited by HarleyQuinn

35 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:
So my comment was based on what I had read in the team of the season and some of the opinions on the Motherwell season thread of last year. I've included some quotes (there are a quite a few in line with this sentiment) from Pie and Bovril regarding Polworth. One of them from you. This indicates to me that he is a very good player and that some  appear to be of the opinion he is good enough to play for any team in Scotland. Interestingly, Liam Polworth's father was Alex Ferguson's last signing as Aberdeen's manager.

"...Were the majority ofPolworth 's "2nd highest number of assists in the league" not like...from set pieces?"

"There is absolutely no question thatPolworth  is on the same planet as Turnbull."

"CM - Liam Polworth: Brilliant player, I absolutely love him and have done for years. Folk rave about Scott Allan's ability to pick out a pass, but Polworth is comfortably the best in the country and sliding strikers in with a through ball. Give him a clinical strikeforce and he'd bag 15+ assists easily IMO."

"Polworth and Christie, to the surprise of absolutely no one, are two of the best footballers in this country and should stroll, with the cigars out like they usually have, into any team of the season."

"Finally someone else seeing thatPolworth  is better than Allan."

Fair play that's a neat quote of mine you've taken out of context. It was a reply to someone suggesting that Polworth's delivery from set pieces maybe wasn't that good.

As I said, I'm absolutely a Polworth fan and he was one of our best players last season - to the point that we didn't miss Turnbull.

I don't think anyone would argue that he's been a good player for both us and ICT but it's some leap to go from that position to "he should be playing for Celtic or Rangers" unless obvious hyperbole just sails clean over your head.

59 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fair play that's a neat quote of mine you've taken out of context. It was a reply to someone suggesting that Polworth's delivery from set pieces maybe wasn't that good.

As I said, I'm absolutely a Polworth fan and he was one of our best players last season - to the point that we didn't miss Turnbull.

I don't think anyone would argue that he's been a good player for both us and ICT but it's some leap to go from that position to "he should be playing for Celtic or Rangers" unless obvious hyperbole just sails clean over your head.

Going back to my original post, I believe Polworth is an interesting option for Aberdeen to consider. I personally don't believe he's of the standard of player at either The Rangers or Celtic however he clearly has certain attributes that draw attention to him. I don't proclaim to know much about him however I have seen regular praise (some laud) for his performances in the past few years. Granted there are some opinions that are certainly over exaggerated.

As well as Allan Campbell, Polworth played very well against us the other week and caught my eye. We've being missing that type of player who can unlock defences with a killer pass since McLean and Christie departed. I suppose Scott Wright and Hedges are the nearest we've had since them.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

15 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Rodhull said:
Ross away on loan again. Should hopefully get regular football there.

Any idea what we can expect from him?

Good tricky player. I'd like to have seen him get more game time last season but we were struggling at that point.

3 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Ross away on loan again. Should hopefully get regular football there.

Good luck to the loon. Think he's good enough at Championship level, excited to see how he's developed when he returns. Hopefully be a good option in the attacking areas.

What’s happening with Matty Kennedy? Notice he’s not on the bench tonight and the system you’ve adopted doesn’t really suit him any more. Also looks like Wright and Hedges are ahead of him in the pecking order. Could be he’s injured, but if it’s another case of moving from saints and not progressing I wouldn’t be surprised. I hope not, cause I like the guy.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

What’s happening with Matty Kennedy? Notice he’s not on the bench tonight and the system you’ve adopted doesn’t really suit him any more. Also looks like Wright and Hedges are ahead of him in the pecking order. Could be he’s injured, but if it’s another case of moving from saints and not progressing I wouldn’t be surprised. I hope not, cause I like the guy.

He's injured and was a standout at wing back. I'd expect him to be straight back in once match fit.

Edit: A surprising standout at that 

Edited by Merkland Red

30 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He's injured and was a standout at wing back. I'd expect him to be straight back in once match fit.

Edit: A surprising standout at that 

Fair enough, makes sense. The fact he's been playing wingback is a surprise, but if it works it works. 

34 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

McInnes has spoken to the Chairman and 1 more player coming in before window shuts.....

Certainly different than what he said on RedTV yesterday...

Posted at 22:1022:10

'Nothing better than a late winner'

FT: Aberdeen 2-1 St Mirren

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes: "There's nothing better than a last-minute winner. We were relentless in that last 15, 20 minutes. We went for it.

"The players deserve so much credit. When the question was asked, we rolled the sleeves up.

"We can go into the break feeling good about ourselves."

On transfers, McInnes's answer to whether there would be anyone coming in before the Monday deadline was: "Possibly", but the confident tone makes it sound more like definitely.

The Dons boss said younger players would go out on loan and added: "We would like to do maybe one bit of business before the window closes."

Certainly different than what he said on RedTV yesterday...

Posted at 22:1022:10

'Nothing better than a late winner'

FT: Aberdeen 2-1 St Mirren

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes: "There's nothing better than a last-minute winner. We were relentless in that last 15, 20 minutes. We went for it.

"The players deserve so much credit. When the question was asked, we rolled the sleeves up.

"We can go into the break feeling good about ourselves."

On transfers, McInnes's answer to whether there would be anyone coming in before the Monday deadline was: "Possibly", but the confident tone makes it sound more like definitely.

The Dons boss said younger players would go out on loan and added: "We would like to do maybe one bit of business before the window closes."

Certainly sounded confident on Sportsound

When asked he specifically said he had spoken to chairman so was fairly clear the have someone in mind.

1 minute ago, G-MAN said:

Certainly sounded confident on Sportsound

When asked he specifically said he had spoken to chairman so was fairly clear the have someone in mind.

We're lacking another ball playing centre back. I'd love for us to look at someone domestically but we're probably looking at a cross border loan.