The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

56 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I won't say anything about anyone other than The big red lump of wid.
Decent in our league. Valuation of trillions certainly doesn't help him. Fair play to Aberdeen. They should have accepted the millions they were once offered, although I suspect that had a touch of the "mystery Chinese team" stuff we've seen before about it.

It was a last minute offer on deadline day. It was also a loan with a view to buy. We would have bit their hands off for that money even if it was last minute but not for a loan.

5 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

This is correct based purely on the access list. However it doesn't take into account that there is a space reserved in the Europa League group stage for the winners of the Conference League which isn't being played this season, so that space is guaranteed to be empty for next season. 

The most likely solution based on how UEFA usually fills this kind of gap appears to be pushing the 7th placed country's Europa League representative up from the play off into the group stage. This then requires moving the representatives of countries 13 and 14 (Scotland) from QR3 to the play off round to balance things out and get the correct number of ties in each round. Starting in the play off round would guarantee group stage football, either in the Europa League if you win or by dropping into the Conference League groups if you lose.

Its not guaranteed that that's what UEFA will do but it seems to be the consensus on what is the most likely outcome. Even if not and cup winners/3rd place only puts you in QR3 its still absolutely crucial to get that slot. Starting there means that you only need to win one tie to guarantee group stage football and get two bites at the cherry if you need it. If you win in QR3 you get to the Europa League play off round and are guaranteed a group stage, if you lose QR3 you drop into the play off for the Conference League instead, win that and you are in the group stage.

This is a HUGE prize for one of the spfl teams. Make £5m-£10m being in the groups stages of Europa and presumably around half for Europa2

2 hours ago, d31 said:

This is a HUGE prize for one of the spfl teams. Make £5m-£10m being in the groups stages of Europa and presumably around half for Europa2

I'm never sure whether it's McInnes or the difficulty of the Europa qualifiers themselves (or a bit of both) which stops us progressing past QR3 most seasons.  It would be ideal, with a lucky draw, to make it through to the group stages and the financial benefits that would bring, alongside some prestigious ties.  However, the Europa competition does seem to be our pre-season currently, so I don't think I would be too snobby about us participating in Europa 2, if that would provide greater opportunity for progression, the chance of playing a variety of teams & I don't think that approx. £2.5 - £5 million for making the group stages is to be sniffed at either. 

Update:
Hamilton game is going ahead irrespective of the city lockdown. 
Aberdeen have fined the players involved.
Edmondson is NOT injured. He's expected to start on Wednesday. However we are looking at getting in another striker.
How's that working out for you bro?