The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

I know you lads are having a pretty shite week and with a euro draw coming up I thought I'd share this just to brighten your mood as it popped up on my timeline this morning.... good luck in the  Euro draw....

Screenshot_20200810-095318_Chrome.jpg

Not Funny Laughing GIF

14 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

I know you lads are having a pretty shite week and with a euro draw coming up I thought I'd share this just to brighten your mood as it popped up on my timeline this morning.... good luck in the  Euro draw....

No shame in getting beaten by Ajax...

19 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

And good luck to you in your League Cup draw.......

What is your guys overall opinion on Scott McKenna?

He obviously gets talked up big time in the press and pushing for a good move down south but he always just strikes me as a slightly more mobile Grant Hanley and not much more.

So is the hype justified, or is he a fairly average player that gets the big build cause of that one worldie from 40 yards he scored a few years back?

21 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

What is your guys overall opinion on Scott McKenna?

He obviously gets talked up big time in the press and pushing for a good move down south but he always just strikes me as a slightly more mobile Grant Hanley and not much more.

So is the hype justified, or is he a fairly average player that gets the big build cause of that one worldie from 40 yards he scored a few years back?

I think he's underrated by fans who seem to think he's just big and strong.  He has shown on occasion that he can play with the ball at his feet.

His distribution does look like a weakpoint. I don't know how much of his play is down to instructions. If it's his own idea to either roll the ball sideways to the other defenders or blooter it then that's a worry. 

He had 20m* man Morelos in his pocket in the last match and not for the first time. He can definitely defend. 

I think the £5m-£8m that gets bandied about sounds about right. 

*20m pies in sky

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think he's underrated by fans who seem to think he's just big and strong.  He has shown on occasion that he can play with the ball at his feet.

His distribution does look like a weakpoint. I don't know how much of his play is down to instructions. If it's his own idea to either roll the ball sideways to the other defenders or blooter it then that's a worry. 

He had 20m* man Morelos in his pocket in the last match and not for the first time. He can definitely defend. 

*20m pies in sky

Don't forget his occasional Roy Aitken-esque runs up the park, I always enjoy those.

57 minutes ago, coprolite said:

*20m pies in sky

Morelos dragged him all over the place last weekend creating massive gaps between your defenders. Yes Morelos never scored but by dropping deep he sucked in McKenna and he fell for it time and time again.

The majority of the time I've seen McKenna against us I thought he has looked okay, but nothing more.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Morelos dragged him all over the place last weekend creating massive gaps between your defenders. Yes Morelos never scored but by dropping deep he sucked in McKenna and he fell for it time and time again.

The majority of the time I've seen McKenna against us I thought he has looked okay, but nothing more.

So he did his man marking job well? Thanks for confirming. X

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

So he did his man marking job well? Thanks for confirming. X

Man marking is good if you can prevent the player you are marking laying the ball off or you don't leave massive gaps for other players to exploit.

I don't think he was any worse than his teammates on the day but to suggest he had Morelos in his back pocket when he was falling for Rangers' game plan hook, line and sinker is stretching it a bit.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Man marking is good if you can prevent the player you are marking laying the ball off or you don't leave massive gaps for other players to exploit.

I don't think he was any worse than his teammates on the day but to suggest he had Morelos in his back pocket when he was falling for Rangers' game plan hook, line and sinker is stretching it a bit.

Yes, it's usually the centre back's responsibility to set tactics. 

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yes, it's usually the centre back's responsibility to set tactics. 

It's not, but it's their responsibility to judge when they should follow and player and when they should ease off.

Many times, Morelos came as deep as the halfway line taking McKenna with him. On a lot of those occasions it congested the middle of the park and Morelos was receiving the ball in a fairly 'safe' area of the pitch. I felt most of the time he'd have been better allowing one of his DM's to engage Morelos that deep and cover the gap Morelos had tried to create for Aribo/Hagi/Kent.

23 minutes ago, AJF said:

If I was asking for the opinion of a Rangers* fan I'd have just asked what school he went to, or whatever it is you bunch of oddballs take notice of.

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

If I was asking for the opinion of a Rangers* fan I'd have just asked what school he went to, or whatever it is you bunch of oddballs take notice of.

Fair enough mate. I'll leave you to it.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's not, but it's their responsibility to judge when they should follow and player and when they should ease off.

Many times, Morelos came as deep as the halfway line taking McKenna with him. On a lot of those occasions it congested the middle of the park and Morelos was receiving the ball in a fairly 'safe' area of the pitch. I felt most of the time he'd have been better allowing one of his DM's to engage Morelos that deep and cover the gap Morelos had tried to create for Aribo/Hagi/Kent.

Yet it would have worked if Ash Taylor wasn't a complete imbecile.