The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

58 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

The problem we have, which won't change with fitness and sharpness, is that we have midfielders who are static and don't take any responsibility.

In McInnes' first season, we had Jack and Robson who wanted possession and would go looking for it if it wasn't coming. Then we added McLean, who was the same, and then Shinnie who did a great job in carrying the ball forward and moving us up the park. 

At the moment, we've got a load of players who go hiding unless they're in acres of space. Only Ferguson ever goes looking for the ball to get things moving. Combine that with defenders who refuse to even attempt to pass it into midfield, and you get the aimless nonsense we saw yesterday and for most of last season.

Yes, we're very flat footed in midfield and are yet to replace Shinnie. It's hard not to think that McInnes puts a lot of emphasis on maintaining a defensive shape, but doesn't seem to be instructing the players well in terms of movement, to provide the opportunity to move the ball up the pitch.

We were lucky insofar that Rangers'* movement allowed them to retain possession without creating many goalscoring chances, much like Celtic in Rodgers' last season. 

I will be interested to see how different our approach is against the other teams in the league. I could see McInnes just writing Saturday off due to the differences in preparation from the teams and his own innate negativity v the OF. 

Considine being out injured could force his hand, hayes at fullback. Id like to see how a front 4 of Kennedy Mcginn Anderson and hedges did with a midfield 2 behind

6 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I will be interested to see how different our approach is against the other teams in the league. I could see McInnes just writing Saturday off due to the differences in preparation from the teams and his own innate negativity v the OF. 

Considine being out injured could force his hand, hayes at fullback. Id like to see how a front 4 of Kennedy Mcginn Anderson and hedges did with a midfield 2 behind

I felt that we seemed quite unbalanced with Considine at LB, his distribution & hurry to get rid of the ball showed in comparison to Hernandez.  Hopefully will have more joy finding the midfield with Hayes at LB.  I'm not convinced by Kennedy.  Doesn't appear to have a great deal of confidence, doesn't release the ball quickly enough & runs into dead ends.  I would have Campbell starting next weekend, seemed to be one of the few amongst our CMs on Saturday with vision & the ability to pick out a pass, when he came on.  Wouldn't be surprised if Edmondson started as the lone striker too. 

Looks and sounds like it’s going to take a while until the best starting 11 is ‘stumbled’ upon.

Been some praise for Hernandez but I felt he gave the ball away far too often. Crosses are weak and several hopeful high balls up the line or just inside, basically just playing it safe.

I still have no idea at all what Bryson brings to the game.

1 hour ago, Golden Gordon said:

Kennedy.  Doesn't appear to have a great deal of confidence, doesn't release the ball quickly enough & runs into dead ends. 

You know, the kind folk of Perth could have told you this if you'd only asked. I used to think that he overplayed because he didn't have confidence in,  or wasn't getting options from, his team-mates. Nope - he just likes running at every player on the park.

He makes up for it with the odd highlight reel goal mind. 

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Thought I heard him after the game saying the goal came about because Kennedy didn’t close down properly or show the player outside or something along those lines.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

You know, the kind folk of Perth could have told you this if you'd only asked. I used to think that he overplayed because he didn't have confidence in,  or wasn't getting options from, his team-mates. Nope - he just likes running at every player on the park.

He makes up for it with the odd highlight reel goal mind. 

Cheers Bolognese, think I was lured into high expectations of him as a result of Sportscene clips.  So we've bought the professional equivalent of the kid who can dribble, but is also ball greedy, so will often be found trapped in the corner of the playground, still in possession of the ball, but surrounded by a groups kids kicking lumps from his shins? 

1 hour ago, big al said:

Thought I heard him after the game saying the goal came about because Kennedy didn’t close down properly or show the player outside or something along those lines.

Two versions of this.  Daily Record names Kennedy, club site does not.

2 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Cheers Bolognese, think I was lured into high expectations of him as a result of Sportscene clips.  So we've bought the professional equivalent of the kid who can dribble, but is also ball greedy, so will often be found trapped in the corner of the playground, still in possession of the ball, but surrounded by a groups kids kicking lumps from his shins? 

You'll forget about it when he curls one in to the bottom corner from just outside the box. 

Not on Saturday obviously, he'll just be staying as far away from Ali McCann as he can.

29 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

What’s the odds we have to end up forfeiting Europe the one season where there is a slightly easier path to the Groups? 

Should be okay by then - but was actually looking forward to entering Europe with a few league matches under our belt for a change, and looks like the next two or three could be postponed.

Saturday reminded me of Fola Esch away in terms of the energy levels and fitness of the players.

Let's hope Monday's QR1 draw is very kind to us.