The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Anyone else here spot the obvious difference between playing competitive preseason games versus just p***king about?

This was in the club’s control to do something about, yet they looked really undercooked - with heavy touches and poor passes all over the place - and just generally looking at least a yard less sharp.

Very unprofessional of the club to go in with such an obvious disadvantage of having played half the warm up matches as our opponents.

Whilst they were playing Lyon and Nice - we were being told that an eleven v eleven with a ref at Cormack Park was recreating a match day environment.

14 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

This was in the club’s control to do something about, yet they looked really undercooked - with heavy touches and poor passes all over the place - and just generally looking at least a yard less sharp.

Very unprofessional of the club to go in with such an obvious disadvantage of having played half the warm up matches as our opponents.

Whilst they were playing Lyon and Nice - we were being told that an eleven v eleven with a ref at Cormack Park was recreating a match day environment.

To be honest we can say they were in better condition than us etc but there was no excuse for passing to a white shirt under no pressure or shanking long passes out of play.

On 01/08/2020 at 15:14, naegoodinthedark said:

Totally agree, but it’s the first game for months so I’m prepared to cut them a *bit* of slack.

Yes, I'm trying not to lose too much faith after the first game.  I worry about the mentality of team, we gave them far too much respect from the off.  I know Bryson has been injured for a long period, but if he was brought in to replace Shinnie's aggression & dynamism, he certainly didn't show any of those qualities.  We really miss a vocal presence in the midfield who can drive the team up the park. 

As much as I love Considine, he is not comfortable on the ball, rushes to make a pass & can be turned far too easily.  Hernandez seems to have potential & carries an attacking threat in the way that Considine does not. 

Wasn't really sure what was going on with the doubling up between Hayes & Kennedy, but it seems that Kennedy's decision-making isn't great & seems to run himself into trouble.  Barely saw Anderson, but seemed to be too easily dominated.

Hopefully we improve as the season goes on, but not too promising.

To be honest we can say they were in better condition than us etc but there was no excuse for passing to a white shirt under no pressure or shanking long passes out of play.

Just indicators of lack of match sharpness.

.....and HT at Parkheid, it could still end up 6-1, but in terms of attitude and ambition against the bigot brothers, Accies are putting us to shame here.

18 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but shirley at 1-0 down instead of replacing Anderson with Edmondson why not see how the pair of them might have played together?

I wondered at that, too many like for like substitutions too.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

It wasn't so much physical sharpness, it was the mental aspect. 

Rangers looked sharp and up for it (more 1st half than 2nd), whereas we looked like we'd just stumbled out of bed and pulled on red shirts. Rangers had a proper pre-season, and we just had a couple of kickarounds in the park. 

It showed. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Well, Aberdeen have been doing that for years.

The Joe's chip shop forum for you me lad. What are you doing with the big boys ?

I'm sure it's all been said but we looked so far off the pace on Saturday. I had a slight feeling Rangers might come too soon for us, particularly as they'd had an actual pre season relative to ours. Saying that, they weren't all that great themselves.

In isolation I'd probably try and not read too much into it but in the context of Mcinnes the perception is so bad for him. Yet another OF game where we don't turn up until it's too late and even then it was pretty meek. 

Edmondson looked pretty handy and to be honest I doubt it'll be too long before Anderson sees himself back on the bench. 

Struggling to think of any other positives. We'll just pretend the season starts on Saturday.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm sure it's all been said but we looked so far off the pace on Saturday. I had a slight feeling Rangers might come too soon for us, particularly as they'd had an actual pre season relative to ours. Saying that, they weren't all that great themselves.

In isolation I'd probably try and not read too much into it but in the context of Mcinnes the perception is so bad for him. Yet another OF game where we don't turn up until it's too late and even then it was pretty meek. 

Edmondson looked pretty handy and to be honest I doubt it'll be too long before Anderson sees himself back on the bench. 

Struggling to think of any other positives. We'll just pretend the season starts on Saturday.

I thought that first half especially, Jack and Aribo were excellent. Their movement made our midfield look they were wearing concrete boots. 

Rangers problem, and it looks to be a recurring issue for them, is that they don't create as many chances or score as many goals as their midfield dominance probably deserves. There have been several games against them in the last few years where they've walloped us but we've still managed a draw.....I was hoping for it to happen on Saturday again, but alas.

frankly, I'm just looking upon Saturday as a pre-season game and keeping my fingers crossed that we're a bit sharper against the Fermers this coming week. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I thought that first half especially, Jack and Aribo were excellent. Their movement made our midfield look they were wearing concrete boots. 

Rangers problem, and it looks to be a recurring issue for them, is that they don't create as many chances or score as many goals as their midfield dominance probably deserves. There have been several games against them in the last few years where they've walloped us but we've still managed a draw.....I was hoping for it to happen on Saturday again, but alas.

frankly, I'm just looking upon Saturday as a pre-season game and keeping my fingers crossed that we're a bit sharper against the Fermers this coming week. 

Yes it was similar to the first half of the 2-2 draw last season where we simply couldn't get anywhere near them. Jack was excellent that night too.

As you say, as bad as we were we could still have fluked a point out of that game in the end. Would've been entirely undeserved but they refused to put us away.

46 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes it was similar to the first half of the 2-2 draw last season where we simply couldn't get anywhere near them. Jack was excellent that night too.

As you say, as bad as we were we could still have fluked a point out of that game in the end. Would've been entirely undeserved but they refused to put us away.

The game was a carbon copy of the first half in the 2-2 match last season, the one crucial difference being that we sneaked a goal just before half time to lift things fir the second half. On Saturday we did nothing to lift ourselves, and the one moment when we came so close to scoring in the goalmouth scramble should have given us a lift to really go after their defence, but there was no real reaction. The game turned out exactly as I feared it would when I saw that we had Rangers at home first game with no crowd.

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You do realise that Rangers have only won 4 of the 12 matches between the clubs since Gerrard took over? 

Yes, in Gerrard's first season, Aberdeen assumed the position and pumped 'class above' Rangers out of both cups, both in Glasgow.

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, in Gerrard's first season, Aberdeen assumed the position and pumped 'class above' Rangers out of both cups, both in Glasgow.

Not to mention throwing in a nice mid week league victory at the then Sports Direct Arena for good measure

The problem we have, which won't change with fitness and sharpness, is that we have midfielders who are static and don't take any responsibility.

In McInnes' first season, we had Jack and Robson who wanted possession and would go looking for it if it wasn't coming. Then we added McLean, who was the same, and then Shinnie who did a great job in carrying the ball forward and moving us up the park. 

At the moment, we've got a load of players who go hiding unless they're in acres of space. Only Ferguson ever goes looking for the ball to get things moving. Combine that with defenders who refuse to even attempt to pass it into midfield, and you get the aimless nonsense we saw yesterday and for most of last season.