The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Bruce shouldn't be judged on games like tomorrow though.

If you mean Anderson shouldn't be judged on tomorrow's match alone then I agree. McInnes is far to quick to drop our own youngsters if they don't perform as he wants in one game.

If you mean Anderson shouldn't be judged against Sevco then I completely disagree. Our players should judged on the bigger games for quality and smaller games for attitude.

One of my pet hates is when a player gets injured and the club signs a replacement, it always makes me wonder is the club doing enough to get players in when they can always find some more dosh to spend.
Maybe some, most or all clubs are sensible enough to not constantly spend all the money they can possibly access?

Not all people spend their entire income each month either - some invest for retirement and/or keep an emergency fund in case of job loss, illness, their boiler breaking down, etc. Are these people "doing enough"?

17 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Interesting

Pray please share your knowledge of the exact in and outs of this loan deal and how it is structured as you clearly possess an insight none of us actually have

I'd rather we played our own youngsters rather than a short-term fix for a 19 year old with 3 league matches and 0 goals for six months in a league he doesn't know.

That being said, I hope he does well, and if he does then he'll be off in January. Remember what happened with Danny Ward. We hoped to extend his contract, his parent club recalled him and we were left with an unsuitable replacement from our own squad in Scott Brown and a league title challenge went down the pan.

1 minute ago, resk said:

Maybe some, most or all clubs are sensible enough to not constantly spend all the money they can possibly access?

Not all people spend their entire income each month either - some invest for retirement and/or keep an emergency fund in case of job loss, illness, their boiler breaking down, etc. Are these people "doing enough"?

Willy is from Glasgow.

Mortality Rate tables suggest he won’t have to worry about funds for his retirement.

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

If you mean Anderson shouldn't be judged on tomorrow's match alone then I agree. McInnes is far to quick to drop our own youngsters if they don't perform as he wants in one game.

If you mean Anderson shouldn't be judged against Sevco then I completely disagree. Our players should judged on the bigger games for quality and smaller games for attitude.

I mean we shouldn't judge his talent based on a game against Rangers when we are likely to play a style of football that is not suited to his abilities. I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say I am surprised if we are keeping the ball on the deck and looking after the ball tomorrow.

In Derek's interview with Rob McLean he said something along the lines of "Rangers are a very good possession based team and we know we will spend most of the game without the ball so it's about concentration." I'm paraphrasing but that doesn't fill me with hope. We've ground out a lot of wins against them since they've been promoted but a lot of that has been based on playing direct football to the big man. The games where we attempted to play good football they destroyed us on the counter.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I mean we shouldn't judge his talent based on a game against Rangers when we are likely to play a style of football that is not suited to his abilities. I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say I am surprised if we are keeping the ball on the deck and looking after the ball tomorrow.

In Derek's interview with Rob McLean he said something along the lines of "Rangers are a very good possession based team and we know we will spend most of the game without the ball so it's about concentration." I'm paraphrasing but that doesn't fill me with hope. We've ground out a lot of wins against them since they've been promoted but a lot of that has been based on playing direct football to the big man. The games where we attempted to play good football they destroyed us on the counter.

That's true he might not get a sniff tomorrow if we allow them possession. I'd like us just to get right in their faces and make it a battle, I can't remember when sitting off a team was successful for us at Pittodrie...

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'd rather we played our own youngsters rather than a short-term fix for a 19 year old with 3 league matches and 0 goals for six months in a league he doesn't know.

That being said, I hope he does well, and if he does then he'll be off in January. Remember what happened with Danny Ward. We hoped to extend his contract, his parent club recalled him and we were left with an unsuitable replacement from our own squad in Scott Brown and a league title challenge went down the pan.

If I recall correctly Klopp had come in not long before and recalled all of Liverpools loan players so he could assess. We had him until the end of the season but they had the option to recall. You are right though. That is the day the title challenge went down the pan.

Leeds fans online seem relatively confident he is going to be a star. I'm happy for him to bang in goals for six months whilst Cosgrove is out. Unless Leeds have issues I can't see them recalling him to play in the EPL.

Edited by Merkland Red

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I take McInnes' words to mean that we'll be soaking up as much pressure as possible & trying to hit them quickly on the break whenever we can. The pace of Hayes and Anderson would allow for this. I predict many squeaky arse moments, especially if Taylor's starting. 

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

Various journalists tweeting that deals for Hoban and Edmondson are done 

So long as everything goes well with Hoban until New year he'll be offered a 2 year deal. He is Mckenna's (when he leaves) long term replacement. Currently he is covering for Devlin's injury. We are looking at another defender however (on loan) for when McKenna does eventually leave. Edmondson is a short term fix however we are still hoping to sign the international striker. The sale of Cosgrove would have covered the cost of the new striker however Aberdeen are now trying to source funds so not sure what will transpire there.

13 minutes ago, Vancouver_Don said:

So long as everything goes well with Hoban until New year he'll be offered a 2 year deal. He is Mckenna's (when he leaves) long term replacement. Currently he is covering for Devlin's injury. We are looking at another defender however (on loan) for when McKenna does eventually leave. Edmondson is a short term fix however we are still hoping to sign the international striker. The sale of Cosgrove would have covered the cost of the new striker however Aberdeen are now trying to source funds so not sure what will transpire there.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

38 minutes ago, Vancouver_Don said:

oh you stop it kristen bell GIF

35 minutes ago, Vancouver_Don said:

I would be worried if the club were looking to replace McKenna with Hoban.  McKenna barely misses a game, aside from suspension.  Hoban has probably played less games than McKenna has missed over a comparable period.  Devlin is also highly injury prone, who, I'd imagine, would be covered by this loan signing.  So that essentially would leave us with Taylor, Considine & Loanee, if Hoban & Devlin inevitably get injured again.  Yikes!

1 hour ago, Golden Gordon said:

I would be worried if the club were looking to replace McKenna with Hoban.  McKenna barely misses a game, aside from suspension.  Hoban has probably played less games than McKenna has missed over a comparable period.  Devlin is also highly injury prone, who, I'd imagine, would be covered by this loan signing.  So that essentially would leave us with Taylor, Considine & Loanee, if Hoban & Devlin inevitably get injured again.  Yikes!

McKenna is hardly ever injured? When is he never, apart from now 😀?

Edited by Afc69