The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Bet you were loving the European Song on repeat Joey.

I’m going on again tonight.            #We’re the Dons from Aberdeen, and we’re the finest that’s ever been, and we’re gonna do it for you...........#

Was the  type signing i expected ,    if the lads got  right attitude  he can go back in January  knocking on door premiership team. ,big incentive for him.    Few there fans seem think he deserved a chance  with Leeds this season    This might be Maddison,Hector ,Ward etc success  or   could be Wes Burns .  that  is  the gamble we have to take.  . Anderson is getting his chance and that is what we all wanted to see. .  Looking forward see how we play without Cosgrove ,  as   we do seem be lot more pleasing on the eye when he is not playing.   .  

Anderson getting his chance is fine, but playing him up in the Cosgrove role on his own won’t work. Different kind of striker completely, and in some games we’ll need a bit of hold up play up front.

Lot of pressure getting put on the lad.

Anderson will get dominated physically by Goldson and Helander if we try and play long balls to him like we would Sam. 

We need to change that. Getting the ball wide to Hayes/ Kennedy/ McGinn (whoever plays) and asking them to carry it up field will likely be our best avenue to get forward. 

Yes absolutely. We can still play long balls though you just aim them beyond the centre halfs and have them turning to run towards their own goal. Particularly long balls to the full back area as the full backs will be 50 yards up the park

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Seems to fit the Stockley/Cosgrove mould. Makes sense to have a more physical option if Anderson/Ruth are being pushed off the ball. Would be disappointed if he were to be ahead of Anderson in the pecking order though, although it's kind of make or break for him at this point.

52 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Anderson getting his chance is fine, but playing him up in the Cosgrove role on his own won’t work. Different kind of striker completely, and in some games we’ll need a bit of hold up play up front.

Lot of pressure getting put on the lad.

Pressure he has to deal with  . He is old enough now . Up to him to handle it. .  Keep hearing the cosgrove role .  Anderson starting will see us Play through our midfield lot more than  when Sam starts.  Would  imagine Hayes and Hernandez pushed  up  wide with McGinn up there supporting Bruce . If McGinn  plays that role well . We will win.  

4 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

Pressure he has to deal with  . He is old enough now . Up to him to handle it. .  Keep hearing the cosgrove role .  Anderson starting will see us Play through our midfield lot more than  when Sam starts.  Would  imagine Hayes and Hernandez pushed  up  wide with McGinn up there supporting Bruce . If McGinn  plays that role well . We will win.  

6/1 for a home win now. If Anderson does play then we will need performances from the attacking 3 midfielders. He does give a good option as he's quick and can finish, I'm assuming sevco will play a high line and we'll be sitting back. This could work to our advantage...or we'll get gubbed 3 zip.

I've heard reservations from folk who know him well about his ability to play up front on his own. Everyone knows he can sniff out a chance and has great instincts but if we play they way we finished last season then it's doomed to fail.

We can all see it so I'm hopeful the manager can too. Bruce shouldn't be judged on games like tomorrow though.

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I've heard reservations from folk who know him well about his ability to play up front on his own. Everyone knows he can sniff out a chance and has great instincts but if we play they way we finished last season then it's doomed to fail.

We can all see it so I'm hopeful the manager can too. Bruce shouldn't be judged on games like tomorrow though.

Any idea if he plays better in a two or a three?

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Can you not just play a diamond with Kennedy just behind him and Hayes and McGinn either side? If the laddie cant finish the amount of chances they would produce then he shouldn't be there.

3 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Any idea if he plays better in a two or a three?

Everything I've been told suggests he's going to need another man playing off of him or round about him.

Just now, tree house tam said:

Can you not just play a diamond with Kennedy just behind him and Hayes and McGinn either side? If the laddie cant finish the amount of chances they would produce then he shouldn't be there.

The majority on here would seem to be happy with Hayes and Kennedy on the wings with McGinn behind. If you asked the majority of sensible fans to pick their favoured starting XI it'd likely be very close to the managers. We'd just rather the team played a different way.

Random takes it as an insult (no idea why) but when we've played you guys at Pittodrie you are more than happy to sit back, double up on Cosgrove when we played it long and look for a counter. It's all becoming a bit too predictable.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Everything I've been told suggests he's going to need another man playing off of him or round about him.

The majority on here would seem to be happy with Hayes and Kennedy on the wings with McGinn behind. If you asked the majority of sensible fans to pick their favoured starting XI it'd likely be very close to the managers. We'd just rather the team played a different way.

Random takes it as an insult (no idea why) but when we've played you guys at Pittodrie you are more than happy to sit back, double up on Cosgrove when we played it long and look for a counter. It's all becoming a bit too predictable.

I think you have the players to hurt teams, sometimes you just don't have the tactical nouse.

If you were to play 451 with the said 4 attacking, with any formation of McGinn, Hayes and Kennedy playing off the main striker you should score goals. Even 352(I know you sheep don't like this) done properly could be exciting with the players you have in an attacking sense. Kennedy can play as a second striker by the way, he had some of his best form at Saints in that role.

Far too attacking for McInnes, but I'd like to see:

Lewis

Hernandez Considine McKenna Hayes

Ojo Ferguson

McGinn Kennedy Hedges

Anderson

Much more likely it'll be:

Lewis

Hernandez Taylor McKenna Considine

McGinn Ojo Bryson Ferguson Hayes

Anderson

Edited by Illgresi

I'm thinking that there might be a lot of chopping and changing at the start of the season, as McInnes tends to stick to a preferred 11 within the same system once he's hit upon it. This is beneficial in terms of consistency, but can become one dimensional. Hopefully being forced into experimentation might lead McInnes into trying something new. 

22 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

This is exactly the issue Aberdeen have, whilst saints and other teams could play different ways, what's the point when we've found one that works. In fact it's worked for years now and McInnes has never learnt to deal with it properly. By playing Cosgrove it almost becomes far too predictable to defend against, speaking from a saints point of view, Kerr and Gordon will happily battle and for the majority beat Cosgrove in the air and physically since whilst he's a big lad, he's not the best target man. 

Aberdeen have the players out wide to hurt teams int he fullback area, but more often than not whenever we play you guys it's the fullbacks who're trying to provide width and crosses and your wingers have disappeared, which is mental considering it's Logan and Considine at fullback, neither of whom I'd see as great crossers of the ball.