The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McKenna is a fluke in the sense that he would have been loaned out to the Championship if he wasn't on a gold course when his agent was trying to phone him. The manager still gave him the chance thoguh and I'm sure most of us expected him to be dropped at the first opportunity. He wasn't.

You could point to an element of 'fluke' in just about everything that happens in football if you try hard enough.

2 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Yes, there are some who will always hold it against him that he played for Rangers at one point in his career. Last season was fairly difficult to watch at times, but I think he has built up enough goodwill to remain in post until he Heartsed us.

I think he is good in terms of man-management, media handling, enticing players to the club & has shown that he can develop certain players. Where he falls down is tactical rigidity and the inability to change a game whilst it is in progress. If he could change these aspects,  he would be a good, rather than competent, manager.

Maybe it's more to do with my lack of imagination, but I can't think of anyone we could realistically replace McInnes with. 

First to say, I love the alias GG. That Ripping Yarn is a belter!

I've wondered who we'd replace him with as well. I've been wondering whether an up and coming coach like Shaun Maloney or Jody Morris at Chelsea might capture the imagination. Both at teams who play an attacking brand of football with a wealth of contacts in the game. Might not be willing to leave their relatively cushy jobs mind you but I'm trying to think more out the box than the usual suspects.

Also fond of the Cowley brothers who got punted (harshly imo) by Huddersfield recently. Brought Lincoln up from nothing. Remains to be seen if they can replicate that again but I'll be keeping an eye on their next move

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McKenna is a fluke in the sense that he would have been loaned out to the Championship if he wasn't on a gold course when his agent was trying to phone him. The manager still gave him the chance thoguh and I'm sure most of us expected him to be dropped at the first opportunity. He wasn't.

Myself and a guy from work agreed that he probably had enough in the bank for one 4th placed finish. This was just after we finished second for the second time with the **** in the league. That's now two 4th placed finishes. Motherwell look to have strengthened and Hibs have too. This is a very important season for the manager.

McInnes has been fortunate enough to qualify for Europe in the two seasons he has finished fourth. I think it would be a different story if this wasn't the case. If this season is anything like last season, in terms of chasing Motherwell and below par performances, then it won't just be the fans asking questions.

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You could point to an element of 'fluke' in just about everything that happens in football if you try hard enough.

That's true. Michael Rose will be the next one the fans are angry he didn't give a chance to.

10 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

McInnes has been fortunate enough to qualify for Europe in the two seasons he has finished fourth. I think it would be a different story if this wasn't the case. If this season is anything like last season, in terms of chasing Motherwell and below par performances, then it won't just be the fans asking questions.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

I've wondered who we'd replace him with as well. I've been wondering whether an up and coming coach like Shaun Maloney or Jody Morris at Chelsea might capture the imagination. Both at teams who play an attacking brand of football with a wealth of contacts in the game. Might not be willing to leave their relatively cushy jobs mind you but I'm trying to think more out the box than the usual suspects.
Also fond of the Cowley brothers who got punted (harshly imo) by Huddersfield recently. Brought Lincoln up from nothing. Remains to be seen if they can replicate that again but I'll be keeping an eye on their next move

I’ll throw in Darren Fletcher

On 26/07/2020 at 18:49, DrewDon said:

When's this all getting announced? 

Obviously not on the cards anymore. Its really bad news if we are intending to sell him because if he is out until Christmas it means he wont have kicked a ball for just under a year. He will now have to repeat his prior goalscoring stats when he returns from injury otherwise we wont receive the sort of fee we'd hoped for. I'm not sure if he will. Clubs won't be rushing back in for him.

Mckenna is still expected to be sold. Hopefully we can get a decent fee for him.  Again, I was told 5 million is what the club believe they can receive. Now that the English leagues are all finished we may hear more on that front.

Edit:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-fletcher-aberdeen-ruled-out-22443848

Aberdeen are trying to find funds to sign the player we are in talks with to replace Cosgrove.

Edited by Vancouver_Don

Good to see Bruce get a chance; up to him now.

I confidently predict he'll absolutely batter the goals in between now and December, and then sign for some English Championship no-mark on a pre-contract in January. It's the Aberdeen way.

3 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Thanks Zapp, always glad to hear from anyone who understands the alluring qualities of velour. My favourite bit of the Yarns is Eric Olthwaite's parents pretending to only speak French to avoid speaking to him. Hopefully Steve Clarke has been sacked by Scotland by the time McInnes goes. Football wouldn't be great, but at least he'd have a go at the OF*.

44 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He said: "Sam's injury is not helped by the fact that Curtis Main is out for Saturday as well. He's got a thigh strain so Curtis and Sam are both out. Apart from that everything else is brilliant.

😂

Probably been spending a lot of time at the Trump course in Balmedie, that sort of unwarranted positivity tends to rub off on people. 

“We have been looking to bring in a replacement since Saturday.

We are still hopeful we can bring one in before the Rangers game if not next week. We will try and bring a striker on board to help with the start of the campaign.

“It would more than likely be a short-term loan.”

11 minutes ago, Dandiest Don said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he starts McGinn or Kennedy as striker. This situation reminds me of last season against Motherwell. Going into the game with Campbell as the only fit centre mid, only for Leigh and Vynner to play. 

I think one of them (probably McGinn) will play off of Anderson. Plan seems to have been to go for a back 3/5 and 2 up front but that might be scrapped/delayed now.