The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm unreasonably annoyed at Cosgrove for getting this injury. Fucking donkey.

i ken what you mean, you really get the vibe that it was his fault somehow. why could  he not have buggered off to France a couple of weeks ago to parlez francais avec le madmousielles??

1 minute ago, RussellAnderson said:

i ken what you mean, you really get the vibe that it was his fault somehow. why could  he not have buggered off to France a couple of weeks ago to parlez francais avec le madmousielles??

Exactly.

Me if he'd sustained this injury having signed for Guingamp a fortnight ago:

how i met your mother evil laugh GIF

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Blessing in disguise, IMO.

A striker who can actually move centre halves about might allow your more creative players some space.

Random Guy in knows f**k all about football shocker. 

200.gif&key=ed07fbecd85f7faf08296936af3dff98c8c765a81fc0c1d7f9e428d2dc375d5e
Putting an untried CB in a repeat fixture against a team that just horsed us 3-0 'a complete fluke'.
FFS man, he gets enough stick for not trying youngsters without folk calling it a fluke when he actually gets it right.

The storylines for this season’s Aiberdeen Da social media dramas are taking shape nicely.

If Anderson does well - “Anderson getting game time was a fluke”

If Anderson doesn’t do well - “McInnes can’t get the best out of young players”

The central narrative being deep rooted spite against the manager by people who didn’t like him even when we were doing just fine. Criticism is healthy, but so much of it is completely blinkered.

Always come back to the time when we signed Joe Lewis, the same mob went apoplectic that we were signing a journeyman keeper and DM was hindering a young keeper’s progress as a result.

3 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

The storylines for this season’s Aiberdeen Da social media dramas are taking shape nicely.

The central narrative being deep rooted spite against the manager by people who didn’t like him even when we were doing just fine. Criticism is healthy, but so much of it is completely blinkered.

Always come back to the time when we signed Joe Lewis, the same mob went apoplectic that we were signing a journeyman keeper and DM was hindering a young keeper’s progress as a result.

There was plenty on twitter claiming he didn't get a chance at Aberdeen. He was given a couple of games and wasn't up to it. We had to draft in a last minute loan signing until Joe was fit. Even if Rogers had played all of those games in Lewis' absence he was still going to be punted while Joe is here.

12 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Agreed. He takes plenty of justified criticism for things.

He's made some shite signings but then you hear people say Cosgrove was a total fluke and it's clear that folk just don't like him and want to find flaws in just about everything he does.

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's made some shite signings but then you hear people say Cosgrove was a total fluke and it's clear that folk just don't like him and want to find flaws in just about everything he does.

I don't think Cosgrove was a fluke but it came together at a convenient time for him. He was going to be chucked out on loan before he started banging them in.

2 minutes ago, d31 said:

Steven Fletcher being mentioned on Mad as a possible Cosgrove shaped replacement.

Worth a punt. 

They've already apparently named the street next to McGarvey Drive in Westhill as Fletcher Close.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't think Cosgrove was a fluke but it came together at a convenient time for him. He was going to be chucked out on loan before he started banging them in.

I accept that but the point is people don't argue these things in particularly good faith.

If he's fully responsible for signing an expensive, ageing Bryson who never plays (absolutely he is) then he's also responsible for signing a cheap, young striker and him turning into a 20 goal a season sellable asset.

The Mckenna argument I've heard a few times and just annoys me. The league cup game against Motherwell presented him with a decision to make and he made it. It's as much fluke for Mcinnes as it is for Mckenna. 

I've also noticed in the past couple days that McInnes has gotten criticism for his recent comments regarding Gerrard and the job he's done at Rangers.

I don't really know what people expect him to say. If he says something antagonistic then he'll be accused of giving the media and Rangers something to feed off of ahead of the game.

I guess he could say I'm not here to talk about Steven and his club thank you, only Aberdeen. But it just seems so many are fed up with him and take any excuse to pick on anything he says/does. He deserves his share of criticism of course but some of it is so petty. 

30 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

I've also noticed in the past couple days that McInnes has gotten criticism for his recent comments regarding Gerrard and the job he's done at Rangers.

I don't really know what people expect him to say. If he says something antagonistic then he'll be accused of giving the media and Rangers something to feed off of ahead of the game.

I guess he could say I'm not here to talk about Steven and his club thank you, only Aberdeen. But it just seems so many are fed up with him and take any excuse to pick on anything he says/does. He deserves his share of criticism of course but some of it is so petty. 

with the regularity he gets asked about them, hes bound to say something vaguely complimentary one of these days. there have been plenty of times when hes told the journo exactly that, hes not the *** manager and to ask him about Aberdeen instead. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, there are some who will always hold it against him that he played for Rangers at one point in his career. Last season was fairly difficult to watch at times, but I think he has built up enough goodwill to remain in post until he Heartsed us.

I think he is good in terms of man-management, media handling, enticing players to the club & has shown that he can develop certain players. Where he falls down is tactical rigidity and the inability to change a game whilst it is in progress. If he could change these aspects,  he would be a good, rather than competent, manager.

Maybe it's more to do with my lack of imagination, but I can't think of anyone we could realistically replace McInnes with. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I accept that but the point is people don't argue these things in particularly good faith.

If he's fully responsible for signing an expensive, ageing Bryson who never plays (absolutely he is) then he's also responsible for signing a cheap, young striker and him turning into a 20 goal a season sellable asset.

The Mckenna argument I've heard a few times and just annoys me. The league cup game against Motherwell presented him with a decision to make and he made it. It's as much fluke for Mcinnes as it is for Mckenna. 

McKenna is a fluke in the sense that he would have been loaned out to the Championship if he wasn't on a gold course when his agent was trying to phone him. The manager still gave him the chance thoguh and I'm sure most of us expected him to be dropped at the first opportunity. He wasn't.

1 minute ago, Golden Gordon said:

Yes, there are some who will always hold it against him that he played for Rangers at one point in his career. Last season was fairly difficult to watch at times, but I think he has built up enough goodwill to remain in post until he Heartsed us.

I think he is good in terms of man-management, media handling, enticing players to the club & has shown that he can develop certain players. Where he falls down is tactical rigidity and the inability to change a game whilst it is in progress. If he could change these aspects,  he would be a good, rather than competent, manager.

Maybe it's more to do with my lack of imagination, but I can't think of anyone we could realistically replace McInnes with. 

Myself and a guy from work agreed that he probably had enough in the bank for one 4th placed finish. This was just after we finished second for the second time with the **** in the league. That's now two 4th placed finishes. Motherwell look to have strengthened and Hibs have too. This is a very important season for the manager.