The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Kjaer was quality but his backups were Preece and Esson.

Talking of Esson, was he the last homegrown keeper we've brought through that's played more than a handful of first team games? If so, that's very poor.

We have brought through a couple of keepers of similar standard (roughly) We have higher standards now. That's a good thing

On 03/07/2020 at 18:26, Jacksgranda said:

Probably edges out Bobby Clark/Ernie McGarr

I’m not quite old enough to remember anything about Ernie McGarr ,other than knowing he was the reserve keeper.  First one I can mind a bit about is Andy Geoghan. Saw him play for the first team in a 3-1 defeat against Dundee United in 1975. Can’t really remember anything about his performance that day , although a few other things stick out.

The Dons were in their change strip of all blue tops and shorts with white socks, same as Chelsea at that time. Don’t think I saw us in that strip again. 

Secondly , Willie Young having a massive strop when he got subbed...... took his top off , flung it into the dugout and stormed off straight down the tunnel.  Never played for us again.

Thirdly , two United players playing with their socks rolled down. In later years I came to know them.......Paul Sturrock and Graeme Payne.

And my dad telling me after the game that their centre forward was “some player”.....the young Andy Gray.

Edited by A96

4 hours ago, A96 said:

I’m not quite old enough to remember anything about Ernie McGarr ,other than knowing he was the reserve keeper.  First one I can mind a bit about is Andy Geoghan. Saw him play for the first team in a 3-1 defeat against Dundee United in 1975. 

Secondly , Willie Young having a massive strop when he got subbed...... took his top off , flung it into the dugout and stormed off straight down the tunnel.  Never played for us again.

Coincidentally, I was on AFC Heritage, and there was new pic on the home page, that had John Jocky Scott scoring a pen against Dundee United from what I believed was the 1975/76 season. It looked like Brian McGinlay (Balfron) was reffing and I erroneously thought it was too early for him. 

The first game I checked was the Willie Young game, although the actual game was a 5-3 match. Was Willie Young itching for his move down south by that time? It's got a certain feel about the McKenna situation to it... 

Was Willie Young popular with our fans? I never think of him as an ex Aberdeen player when I watch old footage. I thought he acted like a bit of throbber on the pitch. I can't believe he played for both Spurs and Arsenal although Spurs were a bit pish around his time. He might have played in the team that was relegated actually. 

Looks like a taller Barry Robson. I was born 17 days before that Willie Young match. 

Actually, that pic wasn't on AFC Heritage home. I can't remember where I saw it now. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the strongest eleven this season? Do we know if we will be able to use 5 subs during a match as they’ve done in England?

Lewis

Logan

Considine

Ojo

McKenna

Taylor

Kennedy

Ferguson

McGinn

Cosgrove

Hayes

Subs:

Cerny

Hernandez

Devlin

Campbell

Bryson

McGeouch

McLennan

Anderson

Main

Others:

Hedges

Wright

Ruth

Barron

E Ross

2 minutes ago, starryfish said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the strongest eleven this season? Do we know if we will be able to use 5 subs during a match as they’ve done in England?

Lewis

Logan

Considine

Ojo

McKenna

Taylor

Kennedy

Ferguson

McGinn

Cosgrove

Hayes

Subs:

Cerny

Hernandez

Devlin

Campbell

Bryson

McGeouch

McLennan

Anderson

Main

Others:

Hedges

Wright

Ruth

Barron

E Ross

Lewis

Hernandez/McKenna/Considine/Hayes

Bryson/Ojo

McGinn/Ferguson/Kennedy

Cosgrove

Although, to be honest, I just want it to be true that Hernandez & Bryson will be in the first XI, as I felt that both Logan & McGeough were quite error-prone last season.  In reality, you could probably expect the latter two to be in the team, as opposed to the former.

3 hours ago, starryfish said:

Lewis

Logan

Considine

Ojo

McKenna

Taylor

Kennedy

Ferguson

McGinn

Cosgrove

Hayes

Subs:

Cerny

Hernandez

Devlin

Campbell

Bryson

McGeouch

McLennan

Anderson

Main

Others:

Hedges

Wright

Ruth

Barron

E Ross

Formation lacks width

I wouldn't be surprised to see Leigh return eventually but I think we'll start the season with Hayes at LB.

The lack of attacking threat from full back when Logan/Considine were playing, combined with lack of creative spark from midfield was a real problem last season. We were so one dimensional with just two wide men trying to get crosses into Cosgrove, so easy to defend against. 

I think Hayes/Kennedy doubling up down a flank makes us far more difficult to defend against, make it flexible so Mcginn can also get involved at times and I think we're far less predictable, Cosgrove gets more space and we create more chances.

16 hours ago, starryfish said:

Lewis

Logan

Considine

Ojo

McKenna

Taylor

Kennedy

Ferguson

McGinn

Cosgrove

Hayes

Subs:

Cerny

Hernandez

Devlin

Campbell

Bryson

McGeouch

McLennan

Anderson

Main

Others:

Hedges

Wright

Ruth

Barron

E Ross

I think you are on the money with the team to start the season. Then Hernandez and Hayes taking over as full backs within the first six weeks maybe.

I think 3 or 4 will leave so that we are not leaving senior players out of the squad every week.

Now we have the **** we'll probably have McGeouch or Bryson in that team ahead of Kennedy

3 minutes ago, d31 said:

I think you are on the money with the team to start the season. Then Hernandez and Hayes taking over as full backs within the first six weeks maybe.

I think 3 or 4 will leave so that we are not leaving senior players out of the squad every week.

Now we have the **** we'll probably have McGeouch or Bryson in that team ahead of Kennedy

At least McGeough & Bryson are bona fide midfielders, as opposed to CBs. I suppose it's a step in the right direction...

Lewis

Hernandez        Taylor       McKenna     Considine

Ojo      Ferguson

Hayes           McGinn       Kennedy

Cosgrove

Impossible to say what our strongest team is at the moment with any certainty, especially with regards to the likes of Hernandez and Hayes. I'd hope McGeouch eventually becomes a first name on the teamsheet, because we know he can be a top player at this level despite his slow start last season. 

1 hour ago, d31 said:

In the absence of our standard euro qualifiers and friendly matches there is no way Hernandez gets in the team the first 2-3 weeks.

Depends how he's doing in training. I doubt we've paid that money for him to sit on the bench. It won't be difficult to oust Logan either, he's been a shadow of his former self.