The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tin hat on but Jack gets in there ahead of Severin IMO.

ETA on a similar note, I often wonder how the 15/16 season might have turned out had we signed Lewis a year earlier and didn't have the Danny Ward fiasco. Such a 'what if' season.

I'd have him instead of Shinnie in midfield but not Severin.

Taking out loan players, since 2000

Lewis

Hart - Anderson - Heikkinen - McNaughton

Severin - Bisconti

McGinn - McLean - Hayes

Stavrum

(Just looking back at Stavrum, it's amazing to look back now and see how Aberdeen, struggling at the time, just managed to sign the top scorer in Sweden's top division)

44 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

(Just looking back at Stavrum, it's amazing to look back now and see how Aberdeen, struggling at the time, just managed to sign the top scorer in Sweden's top division)

It could be possible that Skovdahl's reputation in Scandinavia had an impact on this too.

8 hours ago, Illgresi said:

This is unashamedly stolen from AbMad...but f**k signing up to that place again.

Over there, it's the best Aberdeen team from the last 5 years, but I think it'd be more interesting if it was the best Dons team from the last 15 years (just the player, not their performances in that period). My effort:

Lewis

McNaughton Anderson McKenna Lowe

Severin Shinnie

McGinn Christie Hayes

Rooney

That team would have won the league during the Deila years imo.

Shinnie in a left back and McLean in CM for me.

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

You!

Are!

My!

Stav-rum!

My Arild Stavrum!

You make me happy!

When skies are grey!

You're big and hairy!

And come from Norway!

Oh please don't take, my Stav-rum away!

I had a proper bro-mance for Stavrum (aye and I was about 30 at the time)!

I'd love to get a copy of his drawing of the wind at Aberdeen!

Yours

aDONis

10 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tin hat on but Jack gets in there ahead of Severin IMO.

ETA on a similar note, I often wonder how the 15/16 season might have turned out had we signed Lewis a year earlier and didn't have the Danny Ward fiasco. Such a 'what if' season.

Definitely not for me. I'm not one of those that ignore his ability because he's a vile, rat, ***, scumbag. But Severin was significantly better imo.

9 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

I'd have him instead of Shinnie in midfield but not Severin.

Taking out loan players, since 2000

Lewis

Hart - Anderson - Heikkinen - McNaughton

Severin - Bisconti

McGinn - McLean - Hayes

Stavrum

Bobby Biscuit, he was a cracking player.

Stavrum, he was even better.

27 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Delighted Cerny has signed for another year, as back up keepers go you don't get much better. 

I can't remember a time we had such a strong choice of goalkeeper.

On 03/07/2020 at 18:26, Jacksgranda said:

Probably edges out Bobby Clark/Ernie McGarr

Jim Leighton and Bryan Gunn was pretty good.... I wasn't old enough to see Bobby Clark in the flesh but on the rare occasions I've seen old recordings he looked ropey and not very commanding. As with Davie Robb, his preformance at Wembley in 71 was woeful... 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

9 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

.. I wasn't old enough to see Bobby Clark in the flesh but on the rare occasions I've seen old recordings he looked ropey and not very commanding. As with Davie Robb, his preformance at Wembley in 71 was woeful... 

F&%k you and the horse you rode in on,    in the flesh he was a great 'keeper.  Don't forget, for the longest time he held the record for clean sheets.  One thing he did use to do that I've seen people moan about, if he reckoned he wasn't going to reach a shot, he just didn't bother with the pretend dive.  

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Peter Kjaer was a top quality keeper that you b*****ds seem to be forgetting.

Kjaer was quality but his backups were Preece and Esson.

Talking of Esson, was he the last homegrown keeper we've brought through that's played more than a handful of first team games? If so, that's very poor.

1 minute ago, Illgresi said:

Kjaer was quality but his backups were Preece and Esson.

Talking of Esson, was he the last homegrown keeper we've brought through that's played more than a handful of first team games? If so, that's very poor.

I didn't mind Preece - Never paid much attention mind you. Was he brutal?

You did have Langfield in goal for nigh on a decade - The fact you couldn't replace him (And by god did you try at times) in that time has to go down as the worst piece of Aberdeen decision making since you had Kjaer!

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I didn't mind Preece - Never paid much attention mind you. Was he brutal?

You did have Langfield in goal for nigh on a decade - The fact you couldn't replace him (And by god did you try at times) in that time has to go down as the worst piece of Aberdeen decision making since you had Kjaer!

He wasn't dreadful, but nor was he particularly good from memory. Just pretty anonymous really.

I've not long managed to suppress all memory of Langfield, and you've gone and brought it all back to the surface. Cheers min! Nae sleep for me tonight.

Visited Copenhagen in December and when checking in at the hotel the young-ish desk clerk after finding out we were Scottish first thing he asked was if I’d heard of Peter Kjaer and that convinced me it was going to be a good holiday.

Mind you when I said we’d flown from Edinburgh he thought that’s where Aberdeen were from so he’s not perfect.

Edited by Rodhull