The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 minutes ago, DonOfANewEra said:
1 hour ago, d31 said:
Where is Vancouver with his weekly update? [mention=78827]Vancouver_Don[/mention]

We'll, if he's in...let's say Vancouver, it's currently quarter to six in the morning. Gie the boy a chunce

No way. Shows a total lack of commitment IMO.

1 hour ago, d31 said:

Where is Vancouver with his weekly update? @Vancouver_Don

No more news this week regarding transfers from Aberdeen. Hopefully Tuesday next week. Aberdeen won't be signing anyone else this window as things stand. McInnes feels the team is in decent shape and feels the inclusion of Hayes will help push us into third next season.

I asked if Hayes was signed to play left back. The answer is yes (for now). Again McInnes is keen to sign Greg Leigh however it all depends on how much we receive for McKenna. McKenna is definitely leaving. He wants to leave and Aberdeen need to cover the 5 million loss forecasted between September and January. Hedges is staying for now.

Hayes to play left back with Kennedy on left mid. Hernandez at right back with McGinn on right mid. Ojo, McGeough and Ferguson to start in the middle. Considine and Taylor at centre back. 

Anderson, McLennan and Wright are likely to leave on loan soon. They've been offered to clubs on loan. For Anderson and Wright it could signal the end of their Dons careers. 

St Mirren have offered Cerny a deal out of the blue. Craig Gordon has told them his preference is Hearts. Gordon isn't interest in going to England at this point and wants to help Hearts get back in to the Premiership. Was told Cerny had actually agreed a deal with Aberdeen (apparently it was only verbal) but he is considering the St Mirren offer. Was told to still expect him to sign as his family is settled in Aberdeen.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I never said I was polite.

Right, I think we'll drop @Golden Gordon from our geriatric dream team - no offence, you can be kit man/gopher organising pee stops, making sure suppositries, haemorrhoid cream and adult nappies are available, reminding us of our names, that sort of thing - and just go with @ham1sh68, @Jacksgranda and @kingjoey, average age is 67.

We can reminisce about the good old days of the early 60s. Or maybe not, as the case may be.

The good old days of the 60s!?!  I have seen Doug Coutts playing on the wing for the Dons at Pittodrie...not to mention ex Scotland international Tommy Ring.

4 minutes ago, ham1sh68 said:

The good old days of the 60s!?!  I have seen Doug Coutts playing on the wing for the Dons at Pittodrie...not to mention ex Scotland international Tommy Ring.

Off topic, I know, but that's phenomenal longevity for George Ogston if that's your era (no offence meant).  

23 minutes ago, Vancouver_Don said:

No more news this week regarding transfers from Aberdeen. Hopefully Tuesday next week. Aberdeen won't be signing anyone else this window as things stand. McInnes feels the team is in decent shape and feels the inclusion of Hayes will help push us into third next season.

I asked if Hayes was signed to play left back. The answer is yes (for now). Again McInnes is keen to sign Greg Leigh however it all depends on how much we receive for McKenna. McKenna is definitely leaving. He wants to leave and Aberdeen need to cover the 5 million loss forecasted between September and January. Hedges is staying for now.

Hayes to play left back with Kennedy on left mid. Hernandez at right back with McGinn on right mid. Ojo, McGeough and Ferguson to start in the middle. Considine and Taylor at centre back. 

Anderson, McLennan and Wright are likely to leave on loan soon. They've been offered to clubs on loan. For Anderson and Wright it could signal the end of their Dons careers. 

St Mirren have offered Cerny a deal out of the blue. Craig Gordon has told them his preference is Hearts. Gordon isn't interest in going to England at this point and wants to help Hearts get back in to the Premiership. Was told Cerny had actually agreed a deal with Aberdeen (apparently it was only verbal) but he is considering the St Mirren offer. Was told to still expect him to sign as his family is settled in Aberdeen.

I take it that Bryson's out the picture, by your reckoning?  Thank you for the info.

16 minutes ago, ham1sh68 said:

Just before my time.

7 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Off topic, I know, but that's phenomenal longevity for George Ogston if that's your era (no offence meant).  

I was thinking the same.

Mind you, Tubby's only dead 3 years (at 78) and if George was younger it's quite possible, assuming a 45/50 year working life for somebody leaving school in those years, that you both knew him

True, you've also got to factor in that the schoolboy mind will inevitably think that all adults are much older than their actual age.  However, my youngest brother who is nine years younger than me has just confirmed that George was still in post when he attended the school! 

21 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Loaning out Anderson, McLennan and Wright would surely leave us a bit short, especially if nobody else is coming in other than Hayes and McInnes doesn't particularly rate Hedges. 

The truth is Aberdeen are trying their best to reduce the numbers in the squad. There are no guarantees with covid-19. 6 players are set to leave from the first team squad. McLennan, Wright, Anderson, Logan, Hedges, McKenna are currently the most likely to leave.

A surprise to many but McInnes is keen to keep Bryson however it would limit Dean Campbell's playing time.

Cormack and the board believe this could go on for the entire season which is why they are preparing themselves for that. Hayes would have not been signed had he not deferred his wages + Cormack personally made reassurances to Hayes and the players they will be paid in full once this all calms down.

57 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was thinking the same.

Mind you, Tubby's only dead 3 years (at 78) and if George was younger it's quite possible, assuming a 45/50 year working life for somebody leaving school in those years, that you both knew him

I met George Ogston when working at Mile End. I was there went he was awarded his Honour by the Queen ( can't remember if it was the OBE, MBE) but his retelling of the occasion was both engaging and moving.

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/06/25/aberdeen-football-club-unveils-football-philosophy-and-strategy/

All well and good but if the philosophy is not shared by whoever is in the dugout then it's a bit pointless.

Seems a roundabout way of saying that we will be promoting youth as we can't afford any new players.  The only way that this will work is if the number of substitutions per game is dramatically increased so that McInnes can sub on 6+ players in the last five minutes.   

14 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Seems a roundabout way of saying that we will be promoting youth as we can't afford any new players.  The only way that this will work is if the number of substitutions per game is dramatically increased so that McInnes can sub on 6+ players in the last five minutes.   

Agree with that.

I'm not looking to have a dig at McInnes as he has shown if they are truly good enough then they'll play. 

One bad appointment turns the philosophy to shit though.

Leigh was also posting videos of his new flat over in Holland today on his instagram so as you say doesn't look like anything will be happening with him any time soon.

15 minutes ago, TheDon99 said:
2 hours ago, Vancouver_Don said:

Leigh was also posting videos of his new flat over in Holland today on his instagram so as you say doesn't look like anything will be happening with him any time soon.

I think I like the idea of Hayes being left back better than Leigh.

We do need to forward plan for that position. Think it's the lad MacKenzie that plays for the youth team in that position? Anyone know if he's near ready? He'd be 22 by the time Hayes' contract ends.

19 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

@Vancouver_Don Any truth to the Steven Fletcher rumour in the Sunday Post today?

Aberdeen are not looking at him. A rumour most likely started by his agent to generate interest.

He is being considered by West Brom to participate in the EPL next season. There are a host of Championship sides + Sunderland all after him.

Cosgrove is staying as is Main. Ruth is the only new face we will see at Pittodrie up front.

This will all change IF we sell McKenna for a decent fee.