The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

23 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

We have by far the third biggest budget in the league. We've spent £1m in fees if the informed guys on the radio are correct. It shouldn't be hard to create chances against the likes of St Mirren etc considering their budget.

We finished behind Kilmarnock last season. No idea why it only seems to be the past few months where he should be under scrutiny.

Fans are staying away in their droves. There was another initiative to improve crowds on Wednesday. £1 tickets for students. There was a good uptake. They were then subjected to something that could barely be described as football.

If we are that scared we can't do any better than Derek McInnes then we'd be as well pack in.

I would like to see the publication which shows us being miles ahead of hearts in terms of wages being paid. Seems strange we are as far ahead as you suggest. 

Do you think under another manager our league positions would be better, one 4th place finish behind a kilmarnock team who had a one off season is hardly shocking? If no do you think it matters for the purposes of playing more entertaining football? I'm not saying you are wrong in any of your assertions just genuinely curious

2 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I would like to see the publication which shows us being miles ahead of hearts in terms of wages being paid. Seems strange we are as far ahead as you suggest. 

Do you think under another manager our league positions would be better, one 4th place finish behind a kilmarnock team who had a one off season is hardly shocking? If no do you think it matters for the purposes of playing more entertaining football? I'm not saying you are wrong in any of your assertions just genuinely curious

Your wage bill for 18/19 was apparently £9.2m.

Hearts was £8m. Hibs are the only other club over £4m beside from the OF, obviously. 

Whilst I acknowledge we possibly have the third highest budget, albeit with the way Hearts collect players that’s staggering - is the difference between the 3rd biggest budget and those further down going to be that stark?

Ie an average wage of maybe £2.5k a week vs half that, especially when you add in the extra pressure of playing for one of the bigger city clubs.

The real quality is sadly going to come at the dosh the gruesomes are paying unless we are very lucky.

The fact is in terms of league positions, cup runs and European rounds played, McInnes generally had us round about where we should be - and that isn’t necessarily that easy, as others had us floundering around in 9th, with no sign of Hampden or Europe.

22 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I've never mentioned wages but I'd be very surprised if we are behind Hearts. We are spending a significantly outlay for players though. The 4 we've signed for fees this season are unlikely to be on peanuts. Shinnie was allegedly offered one of the most lucrative contracts we've ever offered a player.

Yes I do. It's also possible we could be worse off with the wrong appointment. I'd trust Cormack to get it right. How many seasons do you allow him to finish behind teams having 'one off' seasons?

Again entertaining football and success do not have to be mutually exclusive. Could you argue anything you've seen over the past 18 months could be labelled successful? I'd sacrifice good football for results every time but this season we've largely received neither.

One thing that was a problem earlier this season seems to have been rectified to an extent and that’s our defence.

Even the completely out of sorts Devlin has looked assured in the last couple of matches in Ash’s absence and McKenna seems to have found some form again.

Only two goals conceded so far in 2020.

Well done defence - the bedrock of any team.

14 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I've never mentioned wages but I'd be very surprised if we are behind Hearts. We are spending a significantly outlay for players though. The 4 we've signed for fees this season are unlikely to be on peanuts. Shinnie was allegedly offered one of the most lucrative contracts we've ever offered a player.

Yes I do. It's also possible we could be worse off with the wrong appointment. I'd trust Cormack to get it right. How many seasons do you allow him to finish behind teams having 'one off' seasons?

Again entertaining football and success do not have to be mutually exclusive. Could you argue anything you've seen over the past 18 months could be labelled successful? I'd sacrifice good football for results every time but this season we've largely received neither.

From the Scotsman in December.

In 2018/2019, Aberdeen increased their wage bill by £700,000 to £9.2million. It is a figure which is £1million higher than Hearts. Hibs' wages for the year haven't been revealed, but the previous year their wage bill sat at £5.3million.

Yet, it pales in comparison to Celtic and Rangers.

Rangers' paid more than three times as much as Aberdeen in 2018/2019 at £34million, with Celtic even higher at £56million.

1 minute ago, betting competition said:

If we win tonight then we move up to 3rd, other clubs like Hibs and Hearts would love to be in our position.

They'd love to be third. Would they love to be in a position where a manager with once fresh ideas is going stale and not bringing the club further forward despite the clubs ambitions to be a UEFA top 100 club?

5 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I, for one, can’t wait til we win the UEFA Top 100 Club trophy. A momentous day for the club and all who follow her.

As you should.

I mean that would likely mean we're regularly reaching the group stages of European competition. Can't imagine why you'd turn your nose up at that.

24 minutes ago, betting competition said:

If we win tonight then we move up to 3rd, other clubs like Hibs and Hearts would love to be in our position.

What a strange thing to say. Does the continuing failure of other clubs mean our own stagnation should be celebrated?

Our current position is largely down to the failings of others tbh. In a semi-competent league we'd probably be scrapping for a top 6 place. We might sneak 3rd but it wouldn't be the basis for a decision on Mcinnes' future (unless we suddenly put together a real surge in form, of course).

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Our current position is largely down to the failings of others tbh. In a semi-competent league we'd probably be scrapping for a top 6 place. We might sneak 3rd but it wouldn't be the basis for a decision on Mcinnes' future (unless we suddenly put together a real surge in form, of course).

This is a fair post. I think the support are largely split in to four camps.

Those who want him gone regardless.

Those who want him to succeed but think it's past saving.

Those who aren't happy with how things are but are willing to give him more time.

Those who can't see past him.

The twitter debate is worse than ever. Can only imagine what the hat and mad are like at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Those who aren't happy with how things are but are willing to give him more time.

This is pretty much me. I think anyone would be daft to be happy with the current situation.

I'm not wedded to him at all, there's a whole host of factors to consider. Given there is no actual danger (i.e. relgation) to our situation my plan would be to see out the season and start considering:

- What's his plans for the team (obviously), both in personnel and tactically, we have no need to start a team from scratch over the summer so it's a chance to build on a decent core of a squad

- Does he actually want or believe that he can re-invigorate/re-invent himself with us? Does he feel a new challenge might suit him better?

- How concerned are the board about attendances? How permanent do they feel the malaise is, what would it take for fans to rally round Mcinnes or is it too late? Or is it just not possible to do so i.e. would it take a genuine title challenge, which won't happen.

- Do the board trust his recruitment, if not would they withhold funds, if so then for me the relationship is already broken

- It's an old trope but what is the actual availability of managers out there, I would hate for us to sack him with zero idea of where to go next

The above is just a few of the factors to consider, it really shouldn't be a binary Mcinnes out vs in argument.

I do wish he was treated with a bit more respect by a lot of our support though, whatever the decision.

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The twitter debate is worse than ever. Can only imagine what the hat and mad are like at the moment. 

Good categories 

I'm a 3 with 2 tendencies. Failure to beat Hamilton could convert me. 

Yip I agree that. I'm in the camp of giving him more time to sort it out but I can't continue to watch terrible football for the last 2 years.

I hate to see the support so split at moment. Got a feeling the change of management looks likely at the end of season unless results continues to be terrible.