The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I hope our manager will play a lot more silky football compared to the dire long game last season which bored a lot of our support.

Well, 4-4-2 with Main and Cosgrove up front, should answer that.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

Curtis Main is a diabolical signing. The fact that we used to also have a shite striker has no bearing on this.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m by no means ripping the heid off about it 

I think I’m going to wait another month before I panic, however 

See what else comes through the door 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Despite the rampant criticism, McInnes gets more signings right than pretty much any other manager in the league. 

He certainly has a much better record than Wright, Levein, or whatever failure happens to be manager at Hibs or Motherwell at any given time.

We could sign the 7 dwarfs, play Sneezy in goals and Doc. up front, and we would still finish above St Johnstone, Hearts and the rest of the mid-table dross.

Hi ho.

15 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m by no means ripping the heid off about it 

I think I’m going to wait another month before I panic, however 

See what else comes through the door 

I would like to hope we are signing more squad fillers this season due to our terrible injury problems we had last season! 

Fans are already turning on the manager, will state the obvious but he needs to get recruitment correct this season. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Despite the rampant criticism, McInnes gets more signings right than pretty much any other manager in the league. 

He certainly has a much better record than Wright, Levein, or whatever failure happens to be manager at Hibs or Motherwell at any given time.

We could sign the 7 dwarfs, play Sneezy in goals and Doc. up front, and we would still finish above St Johnstone, Hearts and the rest of the mid-table dross.

Hi ho.

Worth mentioning, with all the gloating about signing better players, you spent more on a fee for Ferguson than St Johnstone have spent on fees in the last 20 years combined.

Stevie May earns almost double our highest ever wage.

More money you spend, the less risk there is in the signing, I'm not sure its proof McInnes makes better signings than Wright.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning, with all the gloating about signing better players, you spent more on a fee for Ferguson than St Johnstone have spent on fees in the last 20 years combined.

More money you spend, the less risk there is in the signing, I'm not sure its proof McInnes makes better signings than Wright.

Surely spending more money puts more at risk? 

But, aye, our signings should be better than yours because of the budget. 

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Surely spending more money puts more at risk? 

Nah, you generally get better players by spending more money, Aberdeen have consistently, until Rangers appeared, comfortably spent the second highest amount in the league, and SHOCK, have been the second best team.

Boasting about some great transfer record McInnes has when hes, at least twice, finished below his budget, is ridiculous. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Given that you're always going on about how poor Mcinnes's record at signing players apparently is, I'm not surprised you didn't understand the context of my post.

I didn't say anything about signing 'better' players. I said that McInnes has better record than most managers in the league at getting signings right.

There's a difference there, which I'm sure you get now.

As to 'the more money you spend, the less risk', I'm sure the likes of Paul Le Guen, Ally McCoist, Ronnie Deila etc would disagree with you. 

As to 'the more money you spend, the less risk', I'm sure the likes of Paul Le Guen, Ally McCoist, Ronnie Deila etc would disagree with you. 

Absolutely correct. How much did you lot spend on Bernard and how did that work out? Spending more money is no guarantee of success.

Incidentally, who was the manager who signed Bernard?

1 minute ago, The Marly said:

Absolutely correct. How much did you lot spend on Bernard and how did that work out? Spending more money is no guarantee of success.

Incidentally, who was the manager who signed Bernard?

1 MILLION YEN

"Soon after joining Aberdeen, Bernard helped them to win the Scottish League Cup"

Bargain imho

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah, you generally get better players by spending more money, Aberdeen have consistently, until Rangers appeared, comfortably spent the second highest amount in the league, and SHOCK, have been the second best team.

Boasting about some great transfer record McInnes has when hes, at least twice, finished below his budget, is ridiculous. 

Better players but with higher expectations and more money down the pan if it goes badly.  

When McInnes spunks (at a guess) £5k pw on James Wilson it is not a lesser risk than Wright spunking (at a guess) £1k pw on MOH. 

Anyway, I think McInnes is pretty average at transfers in general but probably has a wider range than most, with more brilliant successes and more complete howlers. 

I reckon the three we have signed so far are probably sharing last season's Wilson budget with some to spare and are a lower risk for it.