The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Big Tyrone from STV tweeting that the Freddie Woodman deal should be completed tonight. Be good to get that done.

Did alright for Killie iirc?

I hope Rogers is kept in the side though, bided his time long enough.

By all accounts, several lower league English clubs have also expressed interest in Woodman, so going to warm the bench at Aberdeen rather than Newcastle wouldn't be of much benefit to any party. If he does sign tonight, I'd find it difficult to imagine that he and Newcastle will not have the guarantee of first-team football from McInnes whilst Lewis is unavailable.  

My instinct is that, for better or for worse, Rogers will move on at the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, gkneil said:

Big Tyrone from STV tweeting that the Freddie Woodman deal should be completed tonight. Be good to get that done.

Absolutely no chance Woodman is coming here to sit on the bench

Tough break for Danny imo but Freddie is a very good ‘keeper 

5 hours ago, gkneil said:

He's been signed on condition of guaranteed game time. Fucking shite for Rogers, put yer transfer request in loon, shocking way to be treated. 

On 30/01/2018 at 20:42, starryfish said:

I found it strange we sold Stockley, thought he was a decent enough player at Premiership level

Red cards away in Maribor and at Ibrox are your answer. Couldn't jump without throwing an elbow which made him an utter liability. Three reds in a season, two at key times in key games.

Woodman signs. I'd be pissed off if I were Rogers. I don't know what else he can really do? File under Joe Shaughnessy as players we've developed but not played. 

Having said that, Woodman looks a good keeper so hopefully he can be the difference in a few games. He's a World Cup winner ffs!

29 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Woodman signs. I'd be pissed off if I were Rogers. I don't know what else he can really do? File under Joe Shaughnessy as players we've developed but not played. 

Having said that, Woodman looks a good keeper so hopefully he can be the difference in a few games. He's a World Cup winner ffs!

You need two quality keepers in this league. We've got it with Mannus and Clark and it seems to improve them. Also handy when injuries/poor form hits.

Really feel for Rogers.

I realise we need 2 quality keepers to ensure we are not left exposed, just a shame we couldn't get a decent No. 2 in to let Rogers perform the role he was told he'd have.

1 minute ago, anotherchance said:

Rogers is still young in keeper terms, not great for him but if Derek thinks there’s a stronger option available (based on what he’s seen himself) then he should leave the sentiment out and do what’s best for the team.

I agree with you, and Roger's has no right to be automatic pick just because Lewis got injured HOWEVER....

If we've got Woodman on assurances that he'll play regularly and we're under any obligation to play him, then I feel that is harsh on Rogers.

Rogers is going to be 24 in a few months time. At this stage, with three full seasons of Championship football under his belt, has he proved to be good enough to play as first choice for the 2nd/3rd best side in the country? Or put it another way - if Joe Lewis had signed for someone else this window, would DM have wanted to go on for here on with Danny as 1st choice? I'm sure the coaching team know what they're doing and if Woodman, exactly three years younger, comes in as 1st choice, it's because they don't see Danny as any other than back-up at this level. Back-up is benchwarming, coming on as a sub and filling in. It's such an important position you cannot bugger about and I suppose there's always the worst-case scenario of DR getting injured and having to rely on the U20 kids. If Woodman is better than Rogers, then sentimentality doesn't come into it. That's football - there's always someone else coming along who wants your place. The recent BT doc on youth development had a great clip with Joey Barton (fud yeah but once a blue moon talks some sense) who talked of going to speka to the QPR youth team and basically said to them "which of you are going to take my jersey off me?"

Edited by cmontheloknow

41 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Really feel for Rogers.

I realise we need 2 quality keepers to ensure we are not left exposed, just a shame we couldn't get a decent No. 2 in to let Rogers perform the role he was told he'd have.

I don't think we can get sentimental at this stage of the season. The best goalie plays and if that's Woodman get him in.

TRANSFER WINDOW

In
Niall McGinn (Free)
Michael Devlin (£75,000)
Sam Cosgrove (£25,000)
Chidi Nwakali (on loan)
Freddie Woodman (on loan)
Kenny McLean (on loan)

Out
Kenny McLean (£200,000)
Craig Storie (released)
Greg Tansey (on loan to Ross County)
Frank Ross (on loan to Greenock Morton)

Quite a busy transfer window for us which normally we only sign 1 or 2 players max but think it has been a great transfer window overall.

Niall McGinn is looking really good especially the last two matches and looks so refreshed. I'm not sure about Devlin as I didn't see him stand out in the games I've watched but those in the game rave about him so hopefully will be a good signing. Don't get our fans questioning the amount of goals Cosgrove has scored - he has hardly be on the pitch and still a kid. - signed for the future but we lack a plan B upfront and he would provide that with his height (McInnes said he was going to sign next season but decided to take him in early). McInnes has been raving about Nwakali saying the Aberdeen fans will love him so looking forward to seeing him play. We have signed a world cup winner in Woodman :) - Can't remember much about about his spell at Killie but I think he will get the nod ahead of Rogers (adios Rogers in the summer if so).

What a deal we got for Kenny McLean £200,000 and back on loan, so glad we have him till the end of the season as I think he will be a massive miss once gone. Craig Storie looked good a few years ago against Celtic so what a disappointment. Hopefully Tansey finds the form he had when we first come in from him and come back a better player. Frank Ross is one for the future and his loan deal he will become a better player having got the experience in the Championship. 

Up the dons

Edited by betting competition

I agree with you, and Roger's has no right to be automatic pick just because Lewis got injured HOWEVER....
If we've got Woodman on assurances that he'll play regularly and we're under any obligation to play him, then I feel that is harsh on Rogers.

I agree, but if Woodman turned out to be a liability over a number of games then I don’t think Deek would hesitate to bring Rogers back in, regardless of what Newcastle say.