The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

St Johnstone fans going to great lengths talking about how great Stevie May is and excusing his poor form over the past couple of years until he signs for the Dons and now they think he's done. :lol:

If you look back at my posts on Stevie May you'll see that as soon as he left St Johnstone that I couldn't give a f**k about where he was playing. Same as most ex players tbh. They're opposing players now and should be treated as such with as much vitriol as possible. Don't confuse that as bitterness on my part, i hate every c**t.

14 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

St Johnstone fans going to great lengths talking about how great Stevie May is and excusing his poor form over the past couple of years until he signs for the Dons and now they think he's done. :lol:

He spent 14 months out of the game over the last couple of seasons and hardly played. It might help if you actually had a clue what you're talking about but probably not.

He spent 14 months out of the game over the last couple of seasons and hardly played. It might help if you actually had a clue what you're talking about but probably not.

This, since November 2015 he's played 168 minutes of competitive football..

Could be a good signing and certainly shows ambition. McInnes knows all about him and how to get the best out of him.  

Having said that, he's probably more of a target man that an out and out striker. Playing Christie, McKay-Stevens, Mclean just off him could work. He probably won't be a big scorer but could be give a focus to the rest of the team and provide a more physical dimension to your team. 

If I was McInnes I'd be looking at that team and thinking that a good strong direct winger in the McGinn, Hayes mold is all that's missing. Unless he thinks M-S can give you that. 

Edited by Insaintee

30 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

McInnes knows all about him and how to get the best out of him.

Derek McInnes got very little out of him. He gave him his debut in a dead rubber where several youth team players were thrown in then turned to him when he'd run out of options two years later. He played a few more times that season (although on several occasions was unceremoniously hooked by McInnes at half-time, as he tried to convert him into the clichéd number 10) but was sitting in the stands every week before Steve Lomas took over and recognised that he needed to go out on loan. As said above, McInnes is fortunate to get the chance to work with him again and will surely make a better job of it this time.

46 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Great news.

Imagine Storey will be off. Going to take more than one late goal against the worst team in the league (with 10 men) to convince me he's up to it.

Stockley isn't playing well but I think a target man option is a good thing to have.

The Sun has Storey moving to Firhill as of tomorrow. 

22 minutes ago, Radford said:

Derek McInnes got very little out of him. He gave him his debut in a dead rubber where several youth team players were thrown in then turned to him when he'd run out of options two years later. He played a few more times that season (although on several occasions was unceremoniously hooked by McInnes at half-time, as he tried to convert him into the clichéd number 10) but was sitting in the stands every week before Steve Lomas took over and recognised that he needed to go out on loan. As said above, McInnes is fortunate to get the chance to work with him again and will surely make a better job of it this time.

This isn't likely to be something personal with May himself though, this is par for the course with his management. Over the 4 years he's been at the Dons, the only young players to be given a chance were Cammy Smith, Nicky Low and recently Scott Wright. I'm of the opinion that Cammy Smith will go on to have a good career, and without injuries Nicky Low probably would have too. Its early days with Wright but he looks to be the best of the three. It's taken our two best players leaving, and him scoring an unexpected hattrick for him to get a proper chance. May returns to Scotland as a player with terrific quality and experience of playing at a high level. McInnes will know how to play him. He's a good manager. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not at all. Most are saying they hope he does well. His record in England was far, far better than folk claim. A young striker chucked into a new league, with a new team, who created no chances, and he got almost double figures.

If you class 7 as almost double figures, then yes.  He scored 7 in 39 matches for Wednesday, and most of their fans were happy to recoup what they spent on him when he went to Preston.  He barely played for Preston before being seriously injured.

A new manager has come in this season, one who had worked with him before and really rated him previously. That manager has sold him for a big loss after working with him just a few weeks.  

If it's the Stevie May of 2013-14 then it's a tremendous signing. Time will tell on that one.  However it's a helluva gamble, and I'm glad we didn't try to break the bank and fork out quarter of a million for him.  It's maybe not such a big thing for the Dons though, with the Hayes money, perhaps £300k isn't that huge a sum, and they can afford the risk.

This isn't likely to be something personal with May himself though, this is par for the course with his management. Over the 4 years he's been at the Dons, the only young players to be given a chance were Cammy Smith, Nicky Low and recently Scott Wright. I'm of the opinion that Cammy Smith will go on to have a good career, and without injuries Nicky Low probably would have too. Its early days with Wright but he looks to be the best of the three. It's taken our two best players leaving, and him scoring an unexpected hattrick for him to get a proper chance. May returns to Scotland as a player with terrific quality and experience of playing at a high level. McInnes will know how to play him. He's a good manager. 

To be fair, I can't think of many examples where McInnes has been proven wrong for not playing youth. Joe Shaughnessy would be the obvious example but he f*cked up a few times when he was playing regularly after McInnes took over. He was never trusted after his red card at Motherwell.

Wright certainly looks like the best prospect we've had since Ryan Fraser. Hopefully he sticks around for a bit longer than he did (although Fraser's reason for leaving would still be valid).