The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

So essentially he was part of the old firm duopoly of the time and really his time there isn't comparable to what he would face as an Aberdeen manager.

Yes absolutely.

Personally, I still think he could be a good appointment for you but can understand why folk don't want him.

So it's looking increasingly likely that McInnes is off it seems.

OK, shit happens. Let's not over react, it's great he's leaving cos someone else actually wants him. What a novelty, someone actually wanting our manager, and leaving out the front door head held high and not in the boot.

A swift appointment by the Dons is called for, and some new recruits. Biggest summer window I can recall now. 

Tommy Wright will obviously be a candidate (sorry Saints fans). I also don't really like the sneering off some Aberdeen fans towards him. He's done a fantastic job.

Alex Neil is available. Would he fancy another job in Scotland? 

Alex McLeish...let's look forward not back lads. 

And thereth endeth the obvious candidates. 

At least it won't be dull...

Tommy Wright would be pretty good. He's not exciting, but perhaps he's what we need for a couple of seasons to keep the ship steady and avoid a Dundee Utd. You have to think that some players will want away, considering how often McInnes is cited as a reason for players coming/staying. Sunderland are now without a keeper...

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Sunderland have just accepted a bid of £30m for Jordan Pickford. If he's offered some of that as a budget, I'd back Del to make a decent fist of getting Sunderland up. I don't disagree with your general point though. It's a huge risk, especially after taking on a similar risk at Bristol.

£30 million bid for Graeme Shinnie incoming.

Wright would be your classic safe-pair-of-hands appointment. He won't have you any worse than 3rd, maybe 4th, but he's not really going to improve you. Alex Neil would be the dream, Archibald could go either way and McLeish would be a disaster. Jack Ross is a guy I rate highly but maybe this is just a bit too much of a leap right now, might find himself a bit out of his depth.

The longest most drawn out inevitability of the summer seems to finally be drawing to an end. I wish Del all the best, done a fantastic job here and deserves his move. Shame he leaves with only the one trophy but it was ever thus in Scottish football with successful managers of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.

In terms of replacements, my ideal one would be Alex Neil. However, having listened to his Sportsound interview, he seems to have a very high inflated opinion of himself and doesn't look like he wants to return to Scotland. So realistically the runners are:

• Tommy Wright - Excellent job at St Johnstone, overlooked far too often due to being unfashionable, should absolutely be on the shortlist. Style of play not the greatest
  • Alan Archibald - Taken Thistle up and improved them every year, top 6 side deservedly. Question marks over his record against the Old Firm
  • Jim McIntyre - Bound to come into Milne's thinking, won a trophy with County and a big mate of McInnes's. Questions to be asked about putting Boyce wide and Billy Dodds
  • Derek Adams - Done a good job at Plymouth but ultimately a bampot and a divisive figure in dressing rooms so a No from me.
  • Alex McLeish - Seems to be washed up now but may fancy a last job before accepting retirement
  • Jack Ross - Great jobs at Alloa and St Mirren, kept the Saints up against all odds. However flavour of the month and just not long signed a new deal
  • Barry Robson - The left field option, learning his trade and may fancy the step up. Would get the respect of the players but young and naïve

Based on the above list, I'd filter it down to Wright, Archibald and Ross personally, and take it from there.

Neil is the obvious first choice but sounds like that'll never happen.

All the other options have their own significant risks.

I rate Wright but would be a divisive appointment but would surely be his only chance at a club the size of Aberdeen so you would hope he would make the most of it.  Has amazing success at Saints and would definitely keep us in Europe every season which is probably the minimum target.

Ross and Archibald both look like promising managers but really just a handful of good seasons between them, would be nice to have someone with a bit more experience.

As for Adams, McLeish - absolutely no thanks.

I hope, given that this has clearly been going on behind the scenes for 2-3 weeks that AFC already know who they want to approach 1st, 2nd and 3rd (if needed)

12 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

The longest most drawn out inevitability of the summer seems to finally be drawing to an end. I wish Del all the best, done a fantastic job here and deserves his move. Shame he leaves with only the one trophy but it was ever thus in Scottish football with successful managers of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.

In terms of replacements, my ideal one would be Alex Neil. However, having listened to his Sportsound interview, he seems to have a very high inflated opinion of himself and doesn't look like he wants to return to Scotland. So realistically the runners are:

• Tommy Wright - Excellent job at St Johnstone, overlooked far too often due to being unfashionable, should absolutely be on the shortlist. Style of play not the greatest
  • Alan Archibald - Taken Thistle up and improved them every year, top 6 side deservedly. Question marks over his record against the Old Firm
  • Jim McIntyre - Bound to come into Milne's thinking, won a trophy with County and a big mate of McInnes's. Questions to be asked about putting Boyce wide and Billy Dodds
  • Derek Adams - Done a good job at Plymouth but ultimately a bampot and a divisive figure in dressing rooms so a No from me.
  • Alex McLeish - Seems to be washed up now but may fancy a last job before accepting retirement
  • Jack Ross - Great jobs at Alloa and St Mirren, kept the Saints up against all odds. However flavour of the month and just not long signed a new deal
  • Barry Robson - The left field option, learning his trade and may fancy the step up. Would get the respect of the players but young and naïve

Based on the above list, I'd filter it down to Wright, Archibald and Ross personally, and take it from there.

Paul Sheerin?  Alex Neil will get it. 

2 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Sheerin was the lead candidate at Inverness and hasn't managed a full time club before. Massive risk after a mixed spell at Arbroath.

It's promoting internally though.