The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know it's mainly about the wages, but from a playing perspective it's not going to go well for Jonny. If he stays with Aberdeen, he will play every match, unless injured or suspended. Go to Celtic and he will play in the early rounds of the cups, he will play on weekends after Champions League matches against the smaller teams, otherwise he will spend his season on the bench. 

Really? If Paddy Roberts is away back to City, Mackay-Steven's off to Sheffield United it leaves Celtic with Sinclair and Forrest as the options for wide positions. I've not been following any speculation about Celtic's signing targets (Hayes aside) but unless they're going all out to bring in another player to play in his position I'd have thought Hayes would get a decent amount of game time in the league.

Think a debt free Aberdeen will get the deal we're looking for. It might take a bit of squabbling but I think (hope) our board understands they can't sell a player for £1m+ then crack open a bottle of champagne. Need to make sure we put as strong a team as we can on the field.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Really? If Paddy Roberts is away back to City, Mackay-Steven's off to Sheffield United it leaves Celtic with Sinclair and Forrest as the options for wide positions. I've not been following any speculation about Celtic's signing targets (Hayes aside) but unless they're going all out to bring in another player to play in his position I'd have thought Hayes would get a decent amount of game time in the league.

Can't see him getting any Champions League game time. The transfer window has barely opened, and there's no way that Celtic won't be adding to what they have, and if Patrick Roberts comes back on another loan, Jonny is truly jiggered.

I notice folk on Twitter talking about Aberdeen trying to get Dons fans to donate money. Anyone know what that's about?

They want to set up a direct debit system that fans pay in to every month to fund the playing budget/stadium.

George Yule isn't happy that crowds went down this season and wants the fans to spend even more of their money to watch an uncompetitive league.

5 minutes ago, AberDon said:

They want to set up a direct debit system that fans pay in to every month to fund the playing budget/stadium.

George Yule isn't happy that crowds went down this season and wants the fans to spend even more of their money to watch an uncompetitive league.

Got to question the attendances as well, best fitba I've Aberdeen play in 30 years yet crowds are down by 1000. Even if McInnes doesn't go to Sunderland he may leave club because his budget is not going to increase with less crowds.

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Can't see him getting any Champions League game time. The transfer window has barely opened, and there's no way that Celtic won't be adding to what they have, and if Patrick Roberts comes back on another loan, Jonny is truly jiggered.

Him not getting any CL game time is different to him spending most of the season on the bench though. I completely agree that he maybe won't be one of the first names on the team sheet as he is at Pittodrie but I could see him being pretty involved over the course of a season. I'm not really a fan of Forrest so maybe that's clouding my judgement but I'd honestly see Hayes as a more consistent option for Celtic than him.

I don't doubt Celtic will add to their side but there's no guarantee that they're going to bring in a shitload of international wingers just so they don't have to play Hayes. He'd be a decent addition to their squad IMO, whether he's actually worth £1m+Christie to them is a different matter. It seems pretty weird to spend 7 figures on a 29 year old when the club's whole model is to bring in players and sell on for profit.

Got to question the attendances as well, best fitba I've Aberdeen play in 30 years yet crowds are down by 1000. Even if McInnes doesn't go to Sunderland he may leave club because his budget is not going to increase with less crowds.

Not being part of a title challenge was the main factor in our crowds going down imo. We will have made more than enough from 4 Hampden trips to make up for this financially so the budget won't be negatively affected.

Regarding the direct debit scheme, it seems like the club are asking for the fans to fork out for not much in return. Hearts' scheme works because it was born out of a crisis and they are getting a stake in their club. I don't live in Aberdeen and can't justify a season ticket but contributing in other ways like this would be something that I could get on board with, I'd like to get at least something back for my money though. It's got off on the wrong foot already as people are seeing it as a criticism to the fans for not turning up. I'll wait and see what the details are but I wouldn't be surprised if the club gets this one wrong.

16 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Not being part of a title challenge was the main factor in our crowds going down imo. We will have made more than enough from 4 Hampden trips to make up for this financially so the budget won't be negatively affected.

Regarding the direct debit scheme, it seems like the club are asking for the fans to fork out for not much in return. Hearts' scheme works because it was born out of a crisis and they are getting a stake in their club. I don't live in Aberdeen and can't justify a season ticket but contributing in other ways like this would be something that I could get on board with, I'd like to get at least something back for my money though. It's got off on the wrong foot already as people are seeing it as a criticism to the fans for not turning up. I'll wait and see what the details are but I wouldn't be surprised if the club gets this one wrong.

Got to remember Rangers was back in the league so had a few more bigger crowds so the average attendance figures are pathetic. I heard rumours that manager is unhappy with budget next season maybe that is why George Yule come out with that in the EE today

Prices up, less to play for, and a terrible economic situation in the city.

The fact that we might give Motherwell a doing isn't enough to get people to part with their cash.

Got to remember Rangers was back in the league so had a few more bigger crowds so the average attendance figures are pathetic. I heard rumours that manager is unhappy with budget next season maybe that is why George Yule come out with that in the EE today

Not denying the attendances have been poor at all. I seriously doubt our overall ticket income is down though with 3 home cup ties and four Hampden trips (including a split of the OF semi's) so the budgets shouldn't be negatively affected.

Prices up, less to play for, and a terrible economic situation in the city.

The fact that we might give Motherwell a doing isn't enough to get people to part with their cash.

I really feel for a club like Aberdeen struggling to sell out, I would like if some how we could afford to lower prices on tickets and get more people in the gates. Also more of an opportunity to get more kids through the gates for the future by doing something like if you are under 13 you can get into 2 games a season for free or something, even just Wednesday night games where the crowds are low or cup games. Also having more fans days, meet and greet with players etc, clubs running busses to away games to help others, like if hearts were playing Aberdeen away and hearts ran free transport, but we took 3000 fans on the busses you could give one pound of each ticket sold or something back to the club to cover the cost of transport and vice versa. I'd also like to leave sky sports and bt and have a Scottish football tv channel where all Tv advertising etc would be going straight to the spfl to dish out between the clubs. Involve an activation fee plus monthly so it would be worth while people only signing up for derbys etc.

I reckon Christie will stay with us and Hayes will be coming too. Buying one of your best players will weaken your team a tactic we seem to do very well.
Why ? Because we can [emoji4]
HH

......but then whinge about the lack of domestic competition when you're papped out of the Champions League

......but then whinge about the lack of domestic competition when you're papped out of the Champions League

As John Collins (sort of) said:

"Players in Scotland are not clever enough or quick enough thinkers to punish Celtic"

"But if they are, we'll buy them."

I really feel for a club like Aberdeen struggling to sell out, I would like if some how we could afford to lower prices on tickets and get more people in the gates. Also more of an opportunity to get more kids through the gates for the future by doing something like if you are under 13 you can get into 2 games a season for free or something, even just Wednesday night games where the crowds are low or cup games. Also having more fans days, meet and greet with players etc, clubs running busses to away games to help others, like if hearts were playing Aberdeen away and hearts ran free transport, but we took 3000 fans on the busses you could give one pound of each ticket sold or something back to the club to cover the cost of transport and vice versa. I'd also like to leave sky sports and bt and have a Scottish football tv channel where all Tv advertising etc would be going straight to the spfl to dish out between the clubs. Involve an activation fee plus monthly so it would be worth while people only signing up for derbys etc.

It's the spending 5 hours of my weekend sitting on a bus that puts me off more than the fare