The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

19 minutes ago, Kneetrembler said:

Sky/China isn't destroying the football I watch. Its mostly played by hard working journeymen who have taken a huge risk to join a profession with a massive failure rate. Spending the years others do apprenticeships, go to university etc, pursuing their dream of being a footballer. For every player you mention in your childish rant there are a hundred who are discarded by clubs due to not being good enough or injured. Where is the honour in Aberdeen and other clubs throwing young players on the scrap heap at 19 to 21 years? Its the reality of the industry. High risk for high potential reward. 

You think you have the right to slag these players for their choices to enhance their careers? Whats your investment in the game? A few hundred quid a year for a season ticket? These lads have put in everything and deserve everything that comes their way if they are one of the very few who make it. 

Firstly, that the amazing opportunity to become a footballer could be described as a 'huge risk', is as derogatory as anything I've heard in some time.

Each and every one of these youngsters are devout in their mentality towards AFC (or any other youth system), because they are fully aware that this is their only chance. That's not a bad thing; it's practically natural selection in a macroscopic environment. What divides these young lads, is the same thing that allows others to have careers in other industries. My Dad had a talent for being an Architect. You bet you're life on the fact he went above and beyond for his first job.

Yes, I do feel I have the right to comment on certain players. I may only pay a number of hundred pounds a year - as most do - and I feel that gives me the right to have an opinion.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Dreadful stuff.

Fraser was offered a golden opportunity at a good age to further his career. As a club and a team at that time we were a disaster.

If by greed you mean went after a larger salary and potential salary then yes he probably did, why wouldn't you? It's a short career and it's difficult to pass up opportunities when they come along, you're one injury away from that opportunity never presenting itself again.

Who are you to judge him like? Boy is now a regular in the premier league in England making a right good career for himself.

I know we all love the doughy eyed ideal that local loons will stay for the love of the club or until they command us a huge fee, but life isn't like that.

Give the boy a fuckin break

I have no problem with a lad making the best of himself, f**k me, that's exactly what I'm trying to do myself. But you better believe, when I get to the place I want to be, I won't neglect the people that helped me to get there! If my value as an Engineer for the company that gives me a graduate job is negligible, you better believe I'll make it worth it for them before I move elsewhere.

Fraser didn't do that. He had a few good games, and then fucked off for way below his market value.

If I'm wrong about something, I'll accept a reasoned argument, and change my opinion. I can't visualise an argument that would change my opinion about Fraser...

16 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Firstly, that the amazing opportunity to become a footballer could be described as a 'huge risk', is as derogatory as anything I've heard in some time.

Each and every one of these youngsters are devout in their mentality towards AFC (or any other youth system), because they are fully aware that this is their only chance. That's not a bad thing; it's practically natural selection in a macroscopic environment. What divides these young lads, is the same thing that allows others to have careers in other industries. My Dad had a talent for being an Architect. You bet you're life on the fact he went above and beyond for his first job.

Yes, I do feel I have the right to comment on certain players. I may only pay a number of hundred pounds a year - as most do - and I feel that gives me the right to have an opinion.

I have no problem with a lad making the best of himself, f**k me, that's exactly what I'm trying to do myself. But you better believe, when I get to the place I want to be, I won't neglect the people that helped me to get there! If my value as an Engineer for the company that gives me a graduate job is negligible, you better believe I'll make it worth it for them before I move elsewhere.

Fraser didn't do that. He had a few good games, and then fucked off for way below his market value.

If I'm wrong about something, I'll accept a reasoned argument, and change my opinion. I can't visualise an argument that would change my opinion about Fraser...

Your dad is an architect and you don't see the risk in trying to become a footballer? Now I understand. You are right enough laddie. Carry on. 

Good tune mate!

I love anything that reinforces my superiority.

Of course, I don't need that do I? I have no idea, I suppose you should tell me, you appear to be the expert.

I'm sorry pal your talking utter shite. Fraser has been vocal in thanking the youth coaches at Aberdeen but he saw the opportunity to go to Bournemouth and to get the very best out of himself. Bournemouth were in league 1 at the time but on the way up. Had a young talented manager in Eddie Howe, great training facilities and an owner who wanted to take the club to the English Premier League. All that has happened. He has developed into a talented young player consistently making appearances in the top league in England. Fraser may well have gone on to do that if he had stayed at Aberdeen but his decision has been totally vindicated with the outcome so far. I would of loved him to stay but let's face it he made the right choice for himself.

As far as saying that you would make sure the company who gives you your first break were okay before you left is just ridiculous. If you get the phone call to go to a better company for three times the wages with a potential to go to 10 times the wages there would be a hole in the wall as you leave to the new place.

I'd imagine there was a percentage of next sale clause in the transfer as well. If he does move on, as is more likely than not for an effective attacker down there, we'll get a chunk of the (inflated) fee.
As for Wotherspoon, he's quite a talented lad but his mentality would scare me. He comes across as rather timid, and a bit of a shitebag. I wouldn't say we should avoid him because that can be changed, but there are likely better options.
O'Halloran is closer in style to Hayes but lacks any sort of subtlety or craft.
In conclusion, don't go Jonny.