The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to say it:
I think we will improve when Maddison leaves.

I think you might be right. The problem with Maddison is he is clearly good but we seem to be trying to funnel everything through him. He's struggling to deal with the more physical style of defending so teams have cottoned on to how to nullify him, but Aberdeen don't seem to be adapting to it. I can't help but feel that he's dining out on some good performances from early in the season and little flashes of skilful play. Not to say he isn't a good player, he is, but he's relatively inexperienced and there are sides to his game that still need developing and by using him as much as we do in our attacking play those areas get exploited and we put too much onus on one player who isn't yet the complete package.

I'm going to say it:

I'd agree with you there. McLean in there and -new centre mid- could and should work.

That said I do think Maddison will go on to have a very good career, he's got a lot of a natural ability for a 19 year old.

I'm not going to go as far as saying Maddison leaving will be a good thing but I do think there's an issue there.

I was really happy when we arrived because I thought last season we were too reliant on creating from wide areas and mcginn and more so Hayes performing. I hoped Maddison would add another dimension to our play to keep teams guessing.

But as others have said we seem to now just funnel it through him and rely on him. He's young, he's raw and doesn't always make great decisions so we can't place that weight on his shoulders.

I'd still love to keep him, I think he has a great career ahead once he gets the mental side right.

I think we've not seen enough of McGinn, Hayes & Maddison all on the pitch at the same time. Simply put, with all 3 on at the same time, it gives the opposition more of a headache and they cant double up on all 3 of our flair players: McGinn has been in need of a rest though so it's fair enough. I do think Maddison needs quality around him purely so he's not as much of a target for the opposition

Maddison needs a lot of chances from open play to get a goal, but i wouldn’t say we are going to be better without him. Also to note I think Mclean has been one of our better players this seasons and I much prefer him spraying passes around in a deeper role then at number 10.

I think Pawlett showed up well in the last few games, seems strange he was dropped out at the weekend. Would like to see him given a good run at number 10 also I think McGinn would be suited perfect to a role through the middle.

8 hours ago, StandFree03 said:

I'm going to say it:

I agree as he is a luxury player at the moment not delivering any type of performance in the last 5 games. You are going to get this type of performances 19 year old kid but will Aberdeen drop him to the bench. Fans was worried that Norwich would take him back but no-where near ready for them yet. Still the lad has talent and his spell at Aberdeen will help him in the future. 

Notice a lot of comments on social media at the weekend about McInnes along with comments on the Ross County thread: I think he has done a great job with the club but of recent times he has got the Calderwood tombola out along with not having a go against Celtic or Rangers and also a few poor results which has resulted in a minority wanting him out. I think he deserves to the end of the season and see how it goes, if we don't qualify for Europe then this season will be classed as a failure and the board would need to make a decision on keeping him. I think it is time for the manager to put his strongest 11 and stick with it for the next 3 games. 

Sometimes our tactics and players' styles haven't entirely suited Maddison's game down to the ground; neither Rooney nor Stockley, for example, is capable of complementing Maddison's strengths to the same degree that Adam Armstrong would have at Coventry. He has, on occasion, exuded naivety; I would expect that from more or less any 19 or 20-year-old in this division, though. However, he is a very capable and talented young player who I would much rather have playing for Aberdeen than against Aberdeen. I suspect we would feel his loss more acutely than some on this thread predict, even if he isn't quite hitting the heights now that he did initially upon arrival. Hopefully Alex Neil is still in a job come January and we can extend his loan deal until the season's end; I think all parties concerned would stand to benefit from that.