The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, gazelle said:

Pretty much spot on. Although I don't think anyone would question Taylor's physical presence.

Did you see the way he cost us the goal against Maribor by being as soft as a baby's first sh!te?

He's a liability - we don't have one decent centre half

A glaring weakness that hasn't been addresses

Most of that is reasonable, but doesn't give enough credit to the recruitment McInnes has done over the summer so far. We've addressed the lack of Plan B, and added both pace and height up front. Things are also looking good in goal thus far. Agreed we still need to improve the centre of defence however.

Additionally, finishing behind Rangers would not be a 'bitter pill', it'd be completely unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Did you see the way he cost us the goal against Maribor by being as soft as a baby's first sh!te?

He's a liability - we don't have one decent centre half

A glaring weakness that hasn't been addresses

That wasn't physical presence, it was lack of concentration and bad decision making.

Cheers for the response. You're right about Taylor in that it's probably more of a concentration thing. Is McInnes looking for another defender or is he done?

I think he's done good business so far and it's clear he's looking to address Aberdeen's problems last season. I didn't want to make too much of a judgement about them though because the league season hasn't started and, as I said, I've not seen much of them in Europe.

And god knows I'm not getting dragged into the Rangers, Sevco, Newco, Costco debate.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

That wasn't physical presence, it was lack of concentration and bad decision making.

Nah, I disagree - he dangled the wrong foot in tentatively. It was the wrong foot to go in with and he wasn't strong enough

He stuck his right foot in when he should've gone on strongly with his left foot.

Won't be the last time he costs us I'm afraid. He needs a Russell Anderson type to cajole him through games.

I'll get my tin hat on, but I'd have tried to sign Gordon Greer for 12 months - people slag him off as he shouldn't be playing for Scotland, but he'd be our best central defender if he came (he's on trial at Blackburn so too late)

I suspect O'Connor hasn't had much of a look in because DM doesn't want to go with an untried defence in europe.  There's logic to that I think.  I saw it mentioned somewhere that Taylor is suspended for the opening game so it could be he gets his chance against St J.  

48 minutes ago, dannyusa said:

My next door neighbours grandfather played for Aberdeen in the 20s/30s (around that time) - jockey Duncan. Does anyone know a link for a profile or any information on him?

Much appreciated if anyone can share info

Did a look for Duncan and didn't see anything. Check out the wonderful http://www.afcheritage.org/main.cfm site it has every player that played first team for us. 

1 hour ago, FifeArab said:

That's Aberdeen played 6 competitive games In Europe so It will stand them In good stead for the season starting you'd think.

Well we played against 12 men, so it'll give us some experience for playing Celtic and the new team.

That's us out of Europe. What next?

We look forward to a league campaign full of optimism.

The squad are coming off the European games with a sense of injustice. The players will be more match fit than most other teams. Reynolds and Jack are looking like getting back to their best. We have replaced Danny ward. Storey, Burns and Stockley all look good enough to push their way into the first 11. We have a squad that can play 4231,442, 532. Opposition team will find it harder to prepare how to play against us.

All media attention will be on the Ugly Sisters, there will be less pressure on us. However well we play, or how good our league position is, all coverage will be on the Two Cheeks.

We will have less TV games.

I think season ticket sales are up. We have the prospect of a shiny new stadium to look forward to.

We will win a cup and finish second at worst.