The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

We will replace quality with quality still makes me chuckle . 
This. has got Ian Porterfield feel to it in that Derek leaves end season . Boards comments on Ian’s departure  at the time was he never reached the standards we set .    He got us to a skol cup final which was a classic with shit ending and a Scottish cup semi .  Football was poor but slightly better what we’re seeing now .. far from convinced Mcinnies.  can get the fans on his side to go again next season  . Porter field departure it could be . Positives are he knows he’s under severe pressure. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I still believe that we've got real quality in the team, and we've got by far the 3rd best squad in Scotland. 

Lewis, McKenna, Ferguson, McGeough, McGinn  and Cosgrove  would walk into any team outside the OF. On top of that, we're producing good youngsters in players like Campbell, Anderson and McLennan.

It's the shape of the team and the pattern that McInnes wants us to play that is fucking things up. We've effectively played in exactly the same way since the moment McInnes joined the club, and that worked well with Hayes, McGinn and Rooney firing in crosses and scoring goals, and when we had driving midfield players like Flood, Robson, McLean and even Shinnie backing them up.

I'd kill to have Kenny McLean back. A player of his type is what our formation revolved around and what we desperately need. 

34 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

We will replace quality with quality still makes me chuckle . 
This. has got Ian Porterfield feel to it in that Derek leaves end season . Boards comments on Ian’s departure  at the time was he never reached the standards we set .    He got us to a skol cup final which was a classic with shit ending and a Scottish cup semi .  Football was poor but slightly better what we’re seeing now .. far from convinced Mcinnies.  can get the fans on his side to go again next season  . Porter field departure it could be . Positives are he knows he’s under severe pressure. 

In an ideal world, Derek will figure it out, we'll finish third by a margin and win the Scottish Cup. 

To me it's far from a positive he knows he's under pressure. I think that leads to a manager taking less risks as they're worried about losing their job.

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I still believe that we've got real quality in the team, and we've got by far the 3rd best squad in Scotland. 

Lewis, McKenna, Ferguson, McGeough, McGinn  and Cosgrove  would walk into any team outside the OF. On top of that, we're producing good youngsters in players like Campbell, Anderson and McLennan.

It's the shape of the team and the pattern that McInnes wants us to play that is fucking things up. We've effectively played in exactly the same way since the moment McInnes joined the club, and that worked well with Hayes, McGinn and Rooney firing in crosses and scoring goals, and when we had driving midfield players like Flood, Robson, McLean and even Shinnie backing them up.

I'd kill to have Kenny McLean back. A player of his type is what our formation revolved around and what we desperately need. 

To be fair to him when he first took over the job we were shit. Teams were happy to come at us and we hit everyone on the break. When teams realised they needed to sit back to beat us that was when Pawlett became ineffective.

McGeouh can play the McLen role. He's not the physical specimen that McLean was though.

1 hour ago, logie skid boys said:

Think we’re at a point we’re he has to take risks . his fear football can’t get any more .depressing . He needs to change mindset ASAP or he’s gone it’s that simple . 

If this brand of football seals third and gets to the semi's of the cup then he'll be fine, despite dwindling attendance.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/aberdeen-want-to-trial-saturday-evening-premiership-game-against-hibs-with-kick-off-potentially-after-7pm/

Didn't see this posted elsewhere after the shitshow on Wednesday.

I like the way Cormack is going about things. Looking in to some feasible options whilst also willing to compromise with Hibs.

16 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The players have looked terrified for a while to take any responsibility (McGinn aside).

There's lots of passing on our side of the half way line between the midfield and the defence, and by the time someone decides that we should think about attacking the opposition have moved 10 players back behind the ball. At that point we either lose possession in midfield, or are forced into a lump forward to an utterly isolated Cosgrove. 

There's no speed of movement, no forward intent, no invention, no drive from the midfield. All there is is a fear, hence all the sideways passing. 

I don’t think the players are totally blameless however they don’t look like they know what they are supposed to be doing. We’re set up to be flat track bullies who try to grind out results which sells the squad of players we have way short as they have far more quality in them than having to resort to that. There’s only one person that’s coming from.

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/aberdeen-want-to-trial-saturday-evening-premiership-game-against-hibs-with-kick-off-potentially-after-7pm/

Didn't see this posted elsewhere after the shitshow on Wednesday.

I like the way Cormack is going about things. Looking in to some feasible options whilst also willing to compromise with Hibs.

Noticed that, specifically because it came quite quickly on the heels of our game against Dundee where we had more away fans at Dens than there were home fans and one of the "factors" explicitly cited for for their erm..poor turnout was the K.O time.

Absolutely fair fucks to Cormack for looking to start a conversation and engage with your fanbase though. He seems to have done more on that front in the past couple of months than Milne had in years.

Fwiw, Burrows seems like he was taking note too as he was asking our fans what their thoughts were on the idea the other day.

Edited by capt_oats

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Noticed that, specifically because it came quite quickly on the heels of our game against Dundee where we had more away fans at Dens than there were home fans and one of the "factors" explicitly cited for for their erm..poor turnout was the K.O time.

Absolutely fair fucks to Cormack for looking to start a conversation and engage with your fanbase though. He seems to have done more on that front in the past couple of months than Milne had in years.

Fwiw, Burrows seems like he was taking note too as he was asking our fans what their thoughts were on the idea the other day.

Yeah. At least he's offering something. 

I guess one of the factors with your game is that it was on the tv. This one wouldn't be so that would help too, I'd imagine.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Yeah. At least he's offering something. 

I guess one of the factors with your game is that it was on the tv. This one wouldn't be so that would help too, I'd imagine.

Totally, there wer plenty of factors with that Cup game - home team form, their record against us (that's 10 games on the bounce we're unbeaten against them 9 wins, 1 draw), they bumped the ticket price up to £20/£15 from £15/£10 in the week leading up to the game etc - on top of it being on council telly and a 19:20 kick off.

I think if it's the right sort of fixture then a Saturday evening K.O could easily work...under the lights and that.

The key thing for me is that he's actually asking fans and trying stuff out. Some things may not necessarily work but the more engagement you have the better a feel for what connects.

13 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Just shows how poor Scottish football is just now.

That's a sweeping, bland statement.

Every club other than maybe the absolute elite have to balance results vs brand of football. If you have a manager who almost guarantees a top 4 finish and progress in cups every year then it's a huge decision to get rid of them. That is not limited to Scottish football.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That's a sweeping, bland statement.

Every club other than maybe the absolute elite have to balance results vs brand of football. If you have a manager who almost guarantees a top 4 finish and progress in cups every year then it's a huge decision to get rid of them. That is not limited to Scottish football.

I think there is too far to go to be assuming that we'll get a top 4 finish. 

I still think we'll find something that works and get third, but if we don't find it soon we could easily drop out of the top 6.

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think there is too far to go to be assuming that we'll get a top 4 finish. 

I still think we'll find something that works and get third, but if we don't find it soon we could easily drop out of the top 6.

I wasn't really predicting where we'd finish.

We have a manager who has historically not finished lower than 4th over a relatively long period. The idea that Scottish football is shite because we might not sack Mcinnes if he delivers results over style was what I was challenging.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I wasn't really predicting where we'd finish.

We have a manager who has historically not finished lower than 4th over a relatively long period. The idea that Scottish football is shite because we might not sack Mcinnes if he delivers results over style was what I was challenging.

Fully agree with that, but 

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. .

If things don't improve on current form, results wise, he won't have much left in the plus column. 

I don't think this is any sort of indictment of Scottish football though 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

If this brand of football seals third and gets to the semi's of the cup then he'll be fine, despite dwindling attendance.

Dwindling attendances is not cormacks plan . And with dna renewals and season tickets few months away iit is obvious what we’re seeing just now is  not going to be acceptable .  3 rd might save him. .  But for the first time it’s not  a minority that would like see a change . . But we’ll see how the next few months go.,.  Football is  a funny game .

21 minutes ago, logie skid boys said:

Dwindling attendances is not cormacks plan . And with dna renewals and season tickets few months away iit is obvious what we’re seeing just now is  not going to be acceptable .  3 rd might save him. .  But for the first time it’s not  a minority that would like see a change . . But we’ll see how the next few months go.,.  Football is  a funny game .

Would agree with that.