The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

There is significant ground between the type of football we are currently playing, and have been for a little while now, and 'Brazil 1970'. The team with the third highest budget in this country is not realistically expected to play like the latter (and nobody is actually saying otherwise, so you are deliberately arguing in bad faith), but should be managing much better than constantly churning out some of the eye-bleeding stuff we have been seeing for a little bit too long now, regardless of the quality of opposition we are coming up against. 

Just now, DrewDon said:

There is significant ground between the type of football we are currently playing, and have been for a little while now, and 'Brazil 1970'. The team with the third highest budget in this country is not realistically expected to play like the latter (and nobody is actually saying otherwise, so you are deliberately arguing in bad faith), but should be managing much better than constantly churning out some of the eye-bleeding stuff we have been seeing for a little bit too long now, regardless of the quality of opposition we are coming up against. 

We shouldn't be outplayed by St Mirren, Livi, Dundee and St Johnstone. With all respect to those clubs.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

We shouldn't be outplayed by St Mirren, Livi, Dundee and St Johnstone. With all respect to those clubs.

Indeed. I've said it on here before, but playing like that and getting the results is all well and good, but it is a fine line. If the results turn, it means the fans don't have much - if anything - to cling to from the performances. Sometimes it's high-reward to play like that, such as both victories at Ibrox last season, but I'm not sure it can be justified for the sort of opposition you mention over a prolonged spell, which is what we are now seeing. 

I can only conclude that they are being coached and instructed to play the way they are at the moment and to take up some of the positions they do. So, although I've never been a staunch 'McInnes out' guy, I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic to the idea that the current direction of travel is unlikely to change while he is in charge. I really hope I can be proved wrong, but I'm not feeling terribly optimistic at the moment. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

Indeed. I've said it on here before, but playing like that and getting the results is all well and good, but it is a fine line. If the results turn, it means the fans don't have much - if anything - to cling to from the performances. Sometimes it's high-reward to play like that, such as both victories at Ibrox last season, but I'm not sure it can be justified for the sort of opposition you mention over a prolonged spell, which is what we are now seeing. 

I can only conclude that they are being coached and instructed to play the way they are at the moment and to take up some of the positions they do. So, although I've never been a staunch 'McInnes out' guy, I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic to the idea that the current direction of travel is unlikely to change while he is in charge. I really hope I can be proved wrong, but I'm not feeling terribly optimistic at the moment. 

I was arguing with a wifey on Twitter after the hearts game. Her point was that he isn't asking the players to play so poorly while completely ignoring the fact players are repeatedly playing a direct ball in to Cosgrove in the corner with his nearest team mate being thirty yards away. We're not even playing the ball to him in an area where he might get lucky and get a shot of at goal, purely due to the fact we may lose the second ball and be countered through the middle.

Would be interesting to see the female opinion of the managers performance if he didn't look like McInnes...

17 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I am no King Dandy, and certainly don’t purport to be. I was frustrated at the result and the predictable reaction from our support. There is no hiding from the fact that it was a terrible result, but I’m not in the vocal minority wanting a change of manager. If people don’t see that Derek McInnes has enough in the bank with his record with us, then nothing I say is going to change their mind. 

2013/14 - 3rd,   Scottish Cup Semi Final,  League Cup Winners,  qualified for Europe

2014/15 - 2nd,  Scottish Cup 4th Round,  League Cup Semi Final,  qualified for Europe

2015/16 - 2nd,   Scottish Cup 4th Round,   League Cup 3rd Round,  qualified for Europe

2016/17 - 2nd,   Scottish Cup  Finalists,   League Cup Finalists,  qualified for Europe

2017/18 - 2nd,  Scottish Cup Semi Final,  League Cup Quarter Final,  qualified for Europe

2018/19 - 4th,   Scottish Cup Semi Final,  League Cup Finalists,  qualified for Europe.

Given that you were 2nd best side in Scotland for these seasons, it's a bit weird that you would use reaching quarter-finals (last 8), and semi-finals (last 4) as achievements. It gets even weirder when you see who you lost to.

In 2014/2015 you lost to Dundee and Dundee Utd.

2015/2016 you lost to Hearts and a Championship Hibs side.

2016/2017 you lost to Celtic twice.

2017/2018 you lost to a bottom 6 Motherwell twice, both times 3-0!

The 2016/2017 season was fair enough, losing out to an excellent Celtic side. The other seasons show that despite being the 2nd best side Aberdeen consistently messed up against sides they should have beaten. If you take out the Celtic matches, the other 6 matches are all matches where Aberdeen would have ranged from slight favourites to strong favourites to qualify. To lose all 6 is dreadful. To try and spin it as successful is an interesting take, to put it politely. Also, adding 'qualified for Europe' at the end is giving yourself double credit, finishing second gets you Europe, you don't need to write both.

It could be summed up as consistent league performances but a very poor cup record. I was shocked to come on here and see people trying to say he has a good cup record. Given the quality of opposition during his time, and who else won trophies during his time, his cup record is terrible. A real missed opportunity in Aberdeen's history to win a few trophies.

40 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Given that you were 2nd best side in Scotland for these seasons, it's a bit weird that you would use reaching quarter-finals (last 8), and semi-finals (last 4) as achievements. It gets even weirder when you see who you lost to.

The 2016/2017 season was fair enough, losing out to an excellent Celtic side. The other seasons show that despite being the 2nd best side Aberdeen consistently messed up against sides they should have beaten. If you take out the Celtic matches, the other 6 matches are all matches where Aberdeen would have ranged from slight favourites to strong favourites to qualify. To lose all 6 is dreadful. To try and spin it as successful is an interesting take, to put it politely. Also, adding 'qualified for Europe' at the end is giving yourself double credit, finishing second gets you Europe, you don't need to write both.

It could be summed up as consistent league performances but a very poor cup record. I was shocked to come on here and see people trying to say he has a good cup record. Given the quality of opposition during his time, and who else won trophies during his time, his cup record is terrible. A real missed opportunity in Aberdeen's history to win a few trophies.

If he has a very poor cup record then besides Celtic who has a good one? There were some games that we did get beaten in games we probably shouldn't have but noone else besides Celtic has reached finals or semi's as consistently so as much criticism that is valid to be thrown at him Aberdeen do not have anything close to a very poor cup record.

9 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

You obviously never watched the St Mirren game. We were played off the park and were lucky it wasn’t 4-0.

C’mon that’s pretty exaggerated. We were poor and St.Mirren deserved the win but it wasn’t even close to being that wide a score.

14 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

You obviously never watched the St Mirren game. We were played off the park and were lucky it wasn’t 4-0.

Have missed 1 game only, against Croatians.

we had plenty of the ball and nobody would have bat an eye lid if it was a draw. We were though, poor in possession. 

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I wasn’t using getting to quarter finals, or fourth round as a fabulous achievement. All I was doing was putting Derek McInnes record since he came to Aberdeen there for everyone to see. I personally feel that out of six full seasons, four second place finishes in the league, one cup win, three other cup finals, four other semi finals and six out of six qualifications for Europe is a pretty decent record. If anyone disagrees then fair enough, but what the hell are they expecting, realistically? 

18 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

You are having a laugh with that one. We were most certainly outplayed for the first fifteen minutes, but after that controlled the remaining 75 minutes or so, but created nothing until McGinn’s chance in injury time.