The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

As much as I think we’ve been on the decline for 2+ years, He won’t be getting sacked unless we’re in genuine danger if going down. Which we’re not currently.

I'm not looking for him to get sacked. I just wish we'd play to the strengths of the midfield and front players. As you say, on the decline and nobody within the club seems fucked.

I think it would take a bottom six finish to even get the board considering his future. I'm not particularly happy with him at the moment, and some of the football is eye-bleeding, but, as said in a previous post, he's not really committed any 'sacking offences' yet. 

We should absolutely be the third best team in the country, with some breathing space. It's fine to moan about the budgets Celtic and Rangers have, but then it's us with the advantage over the rest. It's time to start playing like it. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

I think it would take a bottom six finish to even get the board considering his future. I'm not particularly happy with him at the moment, and some of the football is eye-bleeding, but, as said in a previous post, he's not really committed any 'sacking offences' yet. 

We should absolutely be the third best team in the country, with some breathing space. It's fine to moan about the budgets Celtic and Rangers have, but then it's us with the advantage over the rest. It's time to start playing like it. 

Perfect post.

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Think the main problem at the moment is it’s clear to absolutely everyone that we’re flat track bullies and have absolutely no plan B. 

We just don’t seem to have any clear direction/style of play atm, and are winning/getting through games by having better players than the opposition rather than outplaying or being a better team than the opposition at all.

I’m also very aware that Derek is losing more and more fans by the week, what with the horrific football, poor tactics, clueless teams etc. The amount of utter shite isn’t the league this year has definitely camouflaged our deficiencies to some extent. 

P.s. I’m a bit drunk but also fucking raging.

4 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Think the main problem at the moment is it’s clear to absolutely everyone that we’re flat track bullies and have absolutely no plan B. 

We just don’t seem to have any clear direction/style of play atm, and are winning/getting through games by having better players than the opposition rather than outplaying or being a better team than the opposition at all.

I’m also very aware that Derek is losing more and more fans by the week, what with the horrific football, poor tactics, clueless teams etc. The amount of utter shite isn’t the league this year has definitely camouflaged our deficiencies to some extent. 

P.s. I’m a bit drunk but also fucking raging.

I can't disagree with any of that. McInnes has been at his best at Aberdeen when his teams have had a clear direction and identity, but I don't know what this is at the moment and I don't think the management or players do either.

If I was to add a bit of calmness here (or happy clapperness, you choose), I came away from last night devastated but not overly concerned about performance.

Of the away games I’ve been to this season, st mirren I prayed was a one off, Dundee had me very concerned, livi had me feeling like maybe we are actually just shite but last night I genuinely thought we were unlucky.

We were 2 minutes away from a very effective away win in a cup quarter final. That second half we were by and large comfortable and a good threat on the counter. There’s a lack of clinical ness in the final third but Leigh, hedges and Gallagher were good at getting us into good areas. Allowing hearts to come at us and breaking on them at tynecastle is not a tactic I’m uncomfortable with.

Saying that, I do believe the style of football is a conscious choice from mcinnes when he doesn’t feel the team is good enough to win games pretty. It raises questions about recruitment (although we’ve not been able to really see this full team week in week out yet) and the broader question of does he have a responsibility to play better football.

Personally I’ve never been as bothered by us playing champagne football as many are. Performances like Dundee etc are brutal, no energy, no cohesion, no tempo but last night I have no issue with other than putting teams away.

Jury is still out for me. I am more concerned about the growing malaise and anger at mcinnes than I am at mcinnes himself.

7 hours ago, McDanger27 said:

91st minute. The left back is up near the opposition by-line with the ball at his feet. I expect he’ll go to the corner flag..........

No, tries to go between 2 defenders, cross the ball, loses it, opposition fire up the pitch and score.

FFS!!!

THis is the sort of view that does ma heid in.  Normally it’s fans slating the team for sitting back and inviting pressure while defending a lead. Now here’s one slating the team for getting up the park and trying to kill the tie with a third goal. At the time that Leigh did that I was happy he tried it. It wasn’t his fault that we weren’t able to defend a quick break up the park and stop an equaliser. I’m afraid that’s down to Shay. He should have been much closer to the guy crossing the ball for the goal and putting real pressure on him.

THis is the sort of view that does ma heid in.  Normally it’s fans slating the team for sitting back and inviting pressure while defending a lead. Now here’s one slating the team for getting up the park and trying to kill the tie with a third goal. At the time that Leigh did that I was happy he tried it. It wasn’t his fault that we weren’t able to defend a quick break up the park and stop an equaliser. I’m afraid that’s down to Shay. He should have been much closer to the guy crossing the ball for the goal and putting real pressure on him.

To be fair it was a bit naive from Leigh and it did cost us, although he’s clearly not solely to blame. I’m also not going to slate a relatively young player for being positive. I also wanted us to get a third as I thought we deserved it.

I’d be interested to know how many people would be apoplectic about our second half tactics had we just held on.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

To be fair it was a bit naive from Leigh and it did cost us, although he’s clearly not solely to blame. I’m also not going to slate a relatively young player for being positive. I also wanted us to get a third as I thought we deserved it.

I’d be interested to know how many people would be apoplectic about our second half tactics had we just held on.

“Apoplectic” is exactly the word I would use for a group of ten to fifteen folk in front of me once the penalties were over. In fact “disgusting” is more accurate, towards the players.

I would say precisely zero people bar a few eejits on Twitter. I'm concerned just now about where the club is going both on and off the park, also feeling the DMs time is heading towards a natural conclusion.

However, the board are definitely unlikely to move unless we are consistently bottom six and haemorrhage supporters in the thousands.

“Apoplectic” is exactly the word I would use for a group of ten to fifteen folk in front of me once the penalties were over. In fact “disgusting” is more accurate, towards the players.

I was at the back but I saw plenty on the railings giving the players full throttle when they came over to applaud. Uncalled for.

I would say precisely zero people bar a few eejits on Twitter. I'm concerned just now about where the club is going both on and off the park, also feeling the DMs time is heading towards a natural conclusion.

However, the board are definitely unlikely to move unless we are consistently bottom six and haemorrhage supporters in the thousands.

I also have concerns about this seasons side. There’s some glaring deficiencies yet I can’t decide yet if it’s teething issues or simply were not good enough. The mass of injuries does not help either. There has been some very worrying performances this season but I just cannot see last night being one of them. I appear to be in a minority there though.

Mcinnes isn’t owed a job for life and he may well be coming to the end. My worry is if he loses interest he won’t walk away as he’s on such a healthy contract and Milne won’t sack him, things could get very ugly in that scenario.

I have no desire to get rid of him but if he feels it’s over he should go by whatever means. Personally I don’t think we’re there yet though.

I don’t want to bang the same boring drum but I noticed a few fans well pissed off with Cosgrove last night. He didn’t seem to want to put much running it - which may have been an instruction. He’s far too isolated to be any use so there’s no point him being there. It’s no surprise your two goals came from Hedges carrying the ball forward. You have loads of players that can do it but it happens so rarely.

As soon as Hedges dropped deep your offensive threat was zero. I didn’t understand Wilson out right (awful game) and then Hedges or McLennan central at all. Had to be Hedges - Wilson - McLennan imo. Cracking away support and a game that could have really won a lot on side. A real missed opportunity.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If I was to add a bit of calmness here (or happy clapperness, you choose), I came away from last night devastated but not overly concerned about performance.

Of the away games I’ve been to this season, st mirren I prayed was a one off, Dundee had me very concerned, livi had me feeling like maybe we are actually just shite but last night I genuinely thought we were unlucky.

We were 2 minutes away from a very effective away win in a cup quarter final. That second half we were by and large comfortable and a good threat on the counter. There’s a lack of clinical ness in the final third but Leigh, hedges and Gallagher were good at getting us into good areas. Allowing hearts to come at us and breaking on them at tynecastle is not a tactic I’m uncomfortable with.

Saying that, I do believe the style of football is a conscious choice from mcinnes when he doesn’t feel the team is good enough to win games pretty. It raises questions about recruitment (although we’ve not been able to really see this full team week in week out yet) and the broader question of does he have a responsibility to play better football.

Personally I’ve never been as bothered by us playing champagne football as many are. Performances like Dundee etc are brutal, no energy, no cohesion, no tempo but last night I have no issue with other than putting teams away.

Jury is still out for me. I am more concerned about the growing malaise and anger at mcinnes than I am at mcinnes himself.

I don't think anyone is looking for champagne football. What we should be above is a direct ball in to the channel and hoping we beat the opposition to the second ball. We have the players to play quick attacking football but it's never instructed to the players.

You could argue that the dross we've been playing is a means to an end when we're pushing Celtic close until the final weeks of the season. Not when we're finishing behind Killie with a much lesser budget or being out performed by St Johnstone, Livi (and from everything I've read) Hearts. On our budget should we have a squad to beat St Johnstone and Livi without resorting to the turgid direct style? Bear in mind we don't have Shinnies drive in there anymore.

We're struggling to keep the attendance at the levels of previous seasons. I know several people I can't persuade to use my son or nephews season ticket for free if they can't make it. It's all to do with the shite on display.

You're absolutely entitled to bring calmness to the table and I do understand why you would feel that way but I'm terrified we rest on our laurels.

Setting aside arguments on whether it's time for a change in terms of Mcinnes etc, I get that people feel that way, can someone explain the visceral hatred for Mcinnes that seems to have seeped into the support?

Some of the stuff I see online is madness, I don't know where it's come from.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Setting aside arguments on whether it's time for a change in terms of Mcinnes etc, I get that people feel that way, can someone explain the visceral hatred for Mcinnes that seems to have seeped into the support?

Some of the stuff I see online is madness, I don't know where it's come from.

I know several who feel that way because he was close to leaving us twice. When you consider one of the destinations...

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't think anyone is looking for champagne football. What we should be above is a direct ball in to the channel and hoping we beat the opposition to the second ball. We have the players to play quick attacking football but it's never instructed to the players.

You could argue that the dross we've been playing is a means to an end when we're pushing Celtic close until the final weeks of the season. Not when we're finishing behind Killie with a much lesser budget or being out performed by St Johnstone, Livi (and from everything I've read) Hearts. On our budget should we have a squad to beat St Johnstone and Livi without resorting to the turgid direct style? Bear in mind we don't have Shinnies drive in there anymore.

We're struggling to keep the attendance at the levels of previous seasons. I know several people I can't persuade to use my son or nephews season ticket for free if they can't make it. It's all to do with the shite on display.

You're absolutely entitled to bring calmness to the table and I do understand why you would feel that way but I'm terrified we rest on our laurels.

I totally agree that performances against Livi etc are unacceptable.

I'm saying last night wasn't that. We weren't outplayed. The first half an hour was Hearts best spell, we got through it at 2-1 up and I felt we were better for the rest of the game. Yes we sat off in spells but we broke at pace with Hedges, Gallagher, Leigh and looked a proper threat. It was more than just pumping balls into the channel (although there was some of that). 

Your point about the attendances is what I was alluding to when I said I'm more worried about the level of anger building towards Mcinnes than I am about Mcinnes himself. 

It's not been great but to suggest last night was a continuation of Saturday, St mirren or Dundee is way off the mark IMO.

Firstly I’ll start by saying that I’m by no means someone who goes after McInnes for the slightest little thing nor am I a ‘happy clapper’, no one can deny the early work he done was brilliant and as a younger fan he’s given me some of the best moments I’ve had supporting Aberdeen however what’s going on right now and the frustrations amongst many in the support are more than justified as we’ve been regressing in terms of both performance and results since the 2016-17 squad broke up IMO.

We pipped Rangers to 2nd in 2017-18 season which papered over the cracks of the shambolic attempt at replacing the above mentioned team, we were put of out Europe with a whimper in Cyprus and pumped out both Cups by Motherwell all the while playing fairly rotten stuff.

We finished 4th last season behind a much improved Rangers and a Killie side who despite having a great few seasons under Clarke operate on a budget nowhere near to our own – which is an argument that features regularly when speaking of other sides but surprisingly not mentioned much when it didn’t suit the agenda, we gave a more than decent account of ourselves in Europe v Burnley however failed in both Cups against Celtic without even landing a blow on them in either game. All of that whilst playing stuff that quite frankly I wouldn’t even describe as football.

We’ve essentially rewarded McInnes for falling below his own early standards of team performance and results, we’re clearly regressing and have been for some time. We consistently fail for the same reasons, in the same matches, at the same venues because quite frankly he has been found out and has ran out of ideas.