The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

14 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Yeah the Main signing almost makes sense now tbh, although I assume May has been partly paid off.

Tbf other managers persevere more with high profile signings to try and save face but at least McInnes seems to have the stones to realise it was an error.

He's let a few players go quickly when it's not worked out. Stuck this one out longer than usual. Perhaps shows he was doing a job for the team but an expensive one at that.

I think that’s where the problem lies. May was doing a job for us but with the wages he was on doing a job wasn’t really enough. 

I think it’s tough to criticise McInnes too much for the signing. If you conducted a poll of Aberdeen fans at the time I reckon 95% were happy with the signing. I know we aren’t managers etc but it seemed logical he would do alright. 

Cosgrove and Main being our striker options both scares me and thinks we have a plan. I think we are a better team when we have someone who is a foil up there and makes it easier for other guys to play. Think France in the World Cup, Giroud was by no means one of their 11 best players but they were a much better team with his presence. Clearly McInnes thinks the best way to get everything out of McGinn, Hedges, McLennan etc is to have someone that occupies defenders with a presence. 

I actually have gone full circle on Cosgrove and think he’s quite good. For as much chances as he misses, I’ve never seen a striker have as many chances as he manages to get. Possibly that’s the result of the team but I think he’s just become one of those guys who manages to find themselves in great positions. Just because he’s not glamorous I wouldn’t discount him. 

Still in Europe and let’s hope for a couple deep cup runs plus a finish near the top of the table. Still a couple things to play for come late April next year and I’m happy. 

5 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I think that’s where the problem lies. May was doing a job for us but with the wages he was on doing a job wasn’t really enough. 

I think it’s tough to criticise McInnes too much for the signing. If you conducted a poll of Aberdeen fans at the time I reckon 95% were happy with the signing. I know we aren’t managers etc but it seemed logical he would do alright. 

Cosgrove and Main being our striker options both scares me and thinks we have a plan. I think we are a better team when we have someone who is a foil up there and makes it easier for other guys to play. Think France in the World Cup, Giroud was by no means one of their 11 best players but they were a much better team with his presence. Clearly McInnes thinks the best way to get everything out of McGinn, Hedges, McLennan etc is to have someone that occupies defenders with a presence. 

I actually have gone full circle on Cosgrove and think he’s quite good. For as much chances as he misses, I’ve never seen a striker have as many chances as he manages to get. Possibly that’s the result of the team but I think he’s just become one of those guys who manages to find themselves in great positions. Just because he’s not glamorous I wouldn’t discount him. 

Still in Europe and let’s hope for a couple deep cup runs plus a finish near the top of the table. Still a couple things to play for come late April next year and I’m happy. 

^ this

coop.png.856bfbf78578be0dd59a6e5c5f3102e0.png

7 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

You can think of countless times when he's clean through on goal and fluffed his lines.

Well, I can’t.  That was his problem as far as I’m concerned. He hardly ever got himself into positions to miss great chances.

I can think of one or two, most notably , a chance just before halftime in the Scottish cup semi against Motherwell , when GMS played him in and he pulled his shot wide. But chances like that for May were few and far between.

Never thought badly of him , though and certainly not a wage thief , because he was clearly putting in the effort.

Absolute dead cert to scor3 against us again.

1 hour ago, ScottishZizou said:

spot on min

2 hours ago, A96 said:

Well, I can’t.  That was his problem as far as I’m concerned. He hardly ever got himself into positions to miss great chances.

I can think of one or two, most notably , a chance just before halftime in the Scottish cup semi against Motherwell , when GMS played him in and he pulled his shot wide. But chances like that for May were few and far between.

Never thought badly of him , though and certainly not a wage thief , because he was clearly putting in the effort.

Absolute dead cert to scor3 against us again.

Hibs at Pittodrie. Killie at Pittodrie and then the volley he put out for a throw at Easter Road. That's three sitters straight off the top of my head.

I’m sure some people may know, but for those who don’t there is a new Fantasy football Scotland app, I will leave the link to the app on Apple devices below, on Android just type in Fantasy football Scotland and it should pop up

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/fantasy-football-scotland/id1469063365

I have created a league for all Pie and Bovril users if anyone wants to join, we already have around 30 people in the league just from the initial thread so hopefully we can get more, the code to join the league is

PRANJXBW

Hopefully we can get a good amount of people in :)

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Hibs at Pittodrie. Killie at Pittodrie and then the volley he put out for a throw at Easter Road. That's three sitters straight off the top of my head.

The volley at Easter Road wasn’t even remotely close to being a sitter. 

Nor was the chance he had against Hibs at Pittodrie last season, if that’s the one you’re meaning.

And I can’t think of any good chances he had in either of the home games against Killie last season.

2 hours ago, A96 said:

The volley at Easter Road wasn’t even remotely close to being a sitter. 

Nor was the chance he had against Hibs at Pittodrie last season, if that’s the one you’re meaning.

And I can’t think of any good chances he had in either of the home games against Killie last season.

Your eyes must be painted on then.

The Dons have reduced the away section at Pittodrie down to 1662 to improve the segregation.

I assume it'll only effect the Old Firm as Hearts/Hibs games often have an odd kick off time and they'd do well to have more than that.

9 minutes ago, d31 said:

The Dons have reduced the away section at Pittodrie down to 1662 to improve the segregation.

I assume it'll only effect the Old Firm as Hearts/Hibs games often have an odd kick off time and they'd do well to have more than that.

🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The volley at Easter road wasn’t a sitter but given he sent Horgan away on the counter attack down the right hand side when attempting a shot at goal, it wasn’t his best effort.

That moment just summed up May's career with us.

He'd done well in setting up Wilson for the winner, but then gets a decent chance of his own when he should have been full of confidence and essentially we almost concede an equaliser following him shanking it nicely into the path of their right-back to advance into acres of undefended space.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The volley at Easter road wasn’t a sitter but given he sent Horgan away on the counter attack down the right hand side when attempting a shot at goal, it wasn’t his best effort.

Yup, it was a truly woeful effort, but definitely not a sitter.

And possibly the most remarkable thing about it was that it maybe wasn’t even  the worst goal attempt in that game. Cosgrove’s first half shot from the edge of the box that went sailing off in the general direction of the giant screen up from the corner flag was just about  as bad.

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Your eyes must be painted on then.

Maybe, but at least I’m more clued up about what constitutes a sitter. No point in having perfect eyesight if your brain can’t process the information coming through your eyes